PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dr Z-Ricky Williams victim of dirty play

Status
Not open for further replies.
after all this I only got one thing to say...

KILL ROTTENCRAPBURGER!!!!

Re: OT:Dr Z-Ricky Williams victim of dirty play

Intentionally jumping onto guys is more likely to get you an ankle sprain and weeks out than not. I say it was a split-second mistake.
I'll tell you what. You and I will go onto a field with one pair of cleated boots. One of us will lie down on the ground and the other will don cleats and jump and down on the first guy.

Now, if you could choose to be either the guy laying on the ground getting stomped, or the guy with the cleats who is "risking a sprained ankle," which would you be?

i was a victim of rubbernecking that car-crash of a game, and while the announcers were trying desperately to mock Ricky Williams, I watched the play in real time and saw the hit--intentional or not, you could tell right away that it was going to result in a pretty severe injury...and still...the talking heads joked about 'welcome back Ricky'...

He clearly extends his leg out to the left.
If he was losing his balance,slipped somehow,his upper body would fall over that way.
That just does not happen.

The thing is,I cannot recall ever seeing this before.
Some feet in close grappling,twisties while tangled,but I do not recall ever seeing this before?
Exactly - For all the football I have played and watched I can't ever remember seeing someone get so stepped on. Even in sloppy muddy HS games with far inferior athletes, it just does not happen like that. Ankles, feet, fingers and hands get stomped. Heads butted together diving for a loose ball. Tripping over people - All quite common. but Timmons clearly knew what he was doing.

It was a nasty play, but I think Timmons slipped. I don't think the stomping was intentional at all. In rugby, stepping on your opponent, at least for a second (not full blown like this), can often serve as a bit of a warning; it's considered gamey. I've done it before. This didn't look like that kind of step. I think he was just going for the football and took the shortest route there. Unfortunately, Ricky's shoulder happened to be in the way.

I'll tell you what. You and I will go onto a field with one pair of cleated boots. One of us will lie down on the ground and the other will don cleats and jump and down on the first guy.

Now, if you could choose to be either the guy laying on the ground getting stomped, or the guy with the cleats who is "risking a sprained ankle," which would you be?

Not the same scenario.

It was a nasty play, but I think Timmons slipped. I don't think the stomping was intentional at all. In rugby, stepping on your opponent, at least for a second (not full blown like this), can often serve as a bit of a warning; it's considered gamey. I've done it before. This didn't look like that kind of step. I think he was just going for the football and took the shortest route there. Unfortunately, Ricky's shoulder happened to be in the way.

No chance. It is a clear stomp. The guy is looking down at Williams, sets his balance totally on his right leg and then drives his leg into Ricky's back.

I can't see how it is possible to dispute this.

Perfect reasoning.

Dude, I've played organized sports(soccer, football, track) my whole life and I have never stomped someone accidentally. Tenths of seconds my ass! You chose where you're going to step. It 's instinctual. Look at the base ratio of his feet in position...as he lands, his left leg goes way out of its normal trajectory to stomp Ricky.

Timmons should be fined and disciplined harshly. As a Patriots fan it's hard to get too sanctimonious 'cause Rodney is the master of that stuff. Speaking of which check out this article from profootball weekly:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2007/danyluk112907.htm

In the above piece ex-Pats coach Rod Rust says:

"if you treat New England that way you probably wouldn’t feel too guilty about it. Their defense plays that way all the time, only they do it to the receivers and running backs, not the quarterback, where it’s much more obvious. You’ll always see a guy coming in late, right after the whistle, to put an extra helmet into somebody, or throw a shoulder into a player’s back. Then they’ll push off on him as they’re getting back up. Heck, Rodney Harrison is the champion of that game. So if you went after their quarterback on a play or two, maybe you wouldn’t feel so guilty."

Hmmmm!!

No chance. It is a clear stomp. The guy is looking down at Williams, sets his balance totally on his right leg and then drives his leg into Ricky's back.

I can't see how it is possible to dispute this.

I agree, it's mind-boggling to me how anyone could think this was a mistake or an accident, it was so CLEARLY intentional. I guess because of who it happened to it isn't a big deal, and that is a shame. :mad:

I can forgive the judgment call of whether or not it was okay to use Ricky as a launching pad if Timmons was going for the ball. Depending on your view, it is either smart/hard-nosed to use him as solid footing or it was slightly dirty.

This was not the case. It was intentional, gratuitous, and malicious. If Timmons was your kid and you saw him do that, would you try to rationalize it away?

Players do have to make decisions in split seconds. They are also used to doing it repeatedly, to the point where plenty of thought can get squeezed into those split seconds. Timmons saw an opportunity and took it.

Last edited:
My 2 cents: it did look intentional when I saw it live - and I remember shouting at the announcers why they don't open their eyes and see who the fumble was caused.... yeah, it had a great impact :rolleyes: - but then on the subsequent replays, I decided it was a 50/50 call. As others point out in their opinions, the game is a violent one and in that split second when getting the ball is everything that matters, I don't think the intention was to hurt Ricky. But again, too close...

My peeve is with those announcers who didn't catch it until the fourth replay that was shown after 10 mts!

It's amazing to me what gets reported during a game and what flies under the radar. When any player limps off the field, I expect an announcer to report that, as the cameras are usually doing their "zooming in on a coaches expression" routine in between plays, and the TV fans never see substitutions and teams preparing their formations before the next play. Unless there's an injury to a star player, injuries causing someone to leave the game rarely get conveyed to the viewers. So much for my personal gripe.

During this game, Kornholio appeared too distracted by his efforts to work in all his Ricky pot references and lame weather comments to pay attention to the game. I've noticed when he does that, he brings along the other two announcers and the whole thing goes to hell.

As for the play, it appeared intentional, but to zoom in on a foot coming down on his back without watching from a reasonable distance how it transpired and the room the guy had to go for a loose ball made it tough to judge. I say it could have been avoided, and the guy didn't make the effort.

It's amazing to me what gets reported during a game and what flies under the radar. When any player limps off the field, I expect an announcer to report that, as the cameras are usually doing their "zooming in on a coaches expression" routine in between plays, and the TV fans never see substitutions and teams preparing their formations before the next play. Unless there's an injury to a star player, injuries causing someone to leave the game rarely get conveyed to the viewers. So much for my personal gripe.

During this game, Kornholio appeared too distracted by his efforts to work in all his Ricky pot references and lame weather comments to pay attention to the game. I've noticed when he does that, he brings along the other two announcers and the whole thing goes to hell.

As for the play, it appeared intentional, but to zoom in on a foot coming down on his back without watching from a reasonable distance how it transpired and the room the guy had to go for a loose ball made it tough to judge. I say it could have been avoided, and the guy didn't make the effort.

Again, the linked video from :24 to :29 shows Timmons coming into the play and purposefully setting up his body to balance on one leg, lift the other unnecessarily high and then driving it into Ricky's back. It isn't zoomed in on a foot. It shows the entire thing from the perfect angle.

Dude, I've played organized sports(soccer, football, track) my whole life and I have never stomped someone accidentally. Tenths of seconds my ass! You chose where you're going to step. It 's instinctual. Look at the base ratio of his feet in position...as he lands, his left leg goes way out of its normal trajectory to stomp Ricky.

Timmons should be fined and disciplined harshly. As a Patriots fan it's hard to get too sanctimonious 'cause Rodney is the master of that stuff. Speaking of which check out this article from profootball weekly:

I'm not saying that Timmons didn't do it, I'm saying that it happens accidentally all the time. I was a QB in an option offense, and I chose to run most of the time. I would jump guys, spin, dive, whatever it took. There were a couple of times I cut at the line, jumped, cut back and landed on a falled lineman. It happens. Players get stepped on in the NFL all the time. I was on Green Bay's sidelines when a lineman was cleated in the calf. It's a part of the game.

I'm not saying that Timmons didn't do it, I'm saying that it happens accidentally all the time. I was a QB in an option offense, and I chose to run most of the time. I would jump guys, spin, dive, whatever it took. There were a couple of times I cut at the line, jumped, cut back and landed on a falled lineman. It happens. Players get stepped on in the NFL all the time. I was on Green Bay's sidelines when a lineman was cleated in the calf. It's a part of the game.

I've played plenty of football, too. Huge difference between stepping on (incidently and accidently) and stomping on (purposefully and maliciously) another player.

Miss Gcat and I just watched the clip and agreed that it looked like a deliberate act. It was the way that the left leg came down. It seemed like a deliberate stamp, with an artificially raised leg. That's just our opinion, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes