PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dolphins Look Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the jests have already won the super bowl so it doesn't really matter how good or bad the other teams look anyway

They cant play in the elements.

Henne was in his first year as a starting QB.
And where's the guarantee that he'll get better? Dolphins fans act like he's a young QB who will be a star in the future. He hasn't shown anything that suggests that. In fact, he was more reckless with the ball in the second half of the season than the beginning.

Oh, Marshall "only" had 3 consecutive 100 catch seasons because he led the league in targets? So? Doesn't that come with the territory?
Leading the NFL in targets doesn't necessarily make you good. Doing something with those targets does.

For example, Welker was targeted 4 more times than Marshall last season (in fewer games, but that's irrelevant). With those 4 more targets, he caught 22 more passes (and had 228 more yards). High targets plus high catch rate makes an elite receiver.

Andre Johnson was targeted 3 more times than Marshall and had the same number of catches, but had 449 more yards. High targets plus high YPC makes an elite receiver.

Targets are only worth as much as what you do with them. Plenty of receivers are more efficient with their targets than Marshall. Plenty of receivers are more efficient with their catches as well.

Marshall needed a 18 or 21 catch day to get over 100 each year? So? Should we take away all extroardinary statistical days for all skill players then? Chris Johnson needed 228 yds in week 8 last year. Without that, he wouldn't have gotten to 2000 rushing yards.
If you feel the need to insult my post, then I'll feel free to insult your analogy. It sucks.

Other than Johnson's 228 yard game, he averaged 111 yards per game. That's still far better than any RB did last season and better than any RB since 2006. Other than Marshall's 21 catch game, he averaged 5.7 catches per game. Eight receivers averaged better than that last season alone. So you're comparing Johnson's rushing yards total, which is still the best average in the last THREE years after taking out his best performance, to Marshall's catch total, which is 8th best LAST SEASON alone when taking out his best game.

In addition, Johnson had his 228 yard game on 24 carries. That's just over his average of 22.3 carries last season excluding that game. Marshall caught 21 passes on 27 targets. In his other 14 games, he averaged 8.7 targets. Johnson did it on 7% more carries than his average game, Marshall did it on 3.1 times as many targets.

Marshall was only a little better than average at catching the ball (77.8% catches per target in that game compared to 65.5% in the other 14 games), and had a lower YPC compared to his other 15 games (9.9 compared to 11.1). Johnson averaged 5.3 yards per carry in his other 15 games, compared to 9.9 yards in his best game.

Summary: Marshall was given far more opportunities and was only a little more efficient than average with those opportunities. Johnson was given less than 10% more carries and was nearly twice as effective with those carries. When removing Marshall's best game from his highlight stat (catches), he is an average #1 receiver. When removing Johnson's best game, he is still the best HB over the last few seasons. There's no comparison there at all.

Well I know how Monday night will go down. If the Jests do good, those goons will say they are winning the SB, if they do average/bad...their excuse will be its just a preseaon game.

I'm scared to make a thread on this forum. QB12 points out a divisional rival looks awful in preseason game 1 and everyone is giving him crap.

Now you know the target audience of the "objective" Boston media.

It's week one of the preseason. People shouldn't be burying the Dolphins and they shouldn't be making reservations for the Patriots in the Super Bowl. The only time that really matters for the starters is week 3, unless someone pulls a Fernando Bryant out there.

It's week one of the preseason. People shouldn't be burying the Dolphins and they shouldn't be making reservations for the Patriots in the Super Bowl. The only time that really matters for the starters is week 3, unless someone pulls a Fernando Bryant out there.

Yeah...Quacks Tossington didn't even play a snap so you can't even get an idea of the speed of the Tampa DB's on INT returns....

Yeah...Quacks Tossington didn't even play a snap so you can't even get an idea of the speed of the Tampa DB's on INT returns....

Bwahahahahahahaha.......

Buffalo looked pretty sluggish too.

Miami will play us very, very tough, so it doesn't matter.

Henne will eviscerate us with his uncanny accuracy. At least he did last year. Carved us up like a thanksgiving turkey. We have the bend but don't break, just let the waltz into the endzone on 8 yard pass completion defenses. At least we did last year.

Besides this is the first preseason game, in bad weather, so it's kind of hard to extrapolate from it.

And Miami always seems to have our signals or they did that once and shut us out.:bricks:

I'm scared to make a thread on this forum. QB12 points out a divisional rival looks awful in preseason game 1 and everyone is giving him crap.

The thread is a bit reactionary and silly. This site is not your typical rah rah boy band forum for homers. While I hope the op is ultimately on target, that is why folks have replied with some measure of derision, I suspect.

Although I am not going to read into one preseason game, I still don't get the hype for the Dolphins almost as much as I don't get the hype for the Jets.

I think Henne is the second best QB in the division, but that isn't much of a compliment. Yes, Sanchez could be a great QB, but right now he is pretty mediocre. Whoever wins the starting role in Buffalo will be one of the worst QBs in the NFL. Henne could be a good QB, but I don't think he will be in the top 10.

Yes, adding Brandon Marshall will help the offense, but this was a horrible offense that relied on a gimmick to get anything done. Ricky Williams is in his mid 30s and Ronnie Brown is coming off a major injury, the running game could be significantly worse.

People seem to gloss over the fact that they lost arguably their three best defensive players this offseason (Taylor, Porter, and Ferguson). Yes, they have added Dansby (who according to him is the best defensive player in the league, to most other think he is a great ILB but you need to get over yourself Karlos). Yes, their CBs are very promising. But they also have serious questions on the d-line and OLB. In all, they are replacing 5 starters from last year's defense (actually 6 since Starks is moving position) and only one of those positions (Dansby at ILB) is guaranteed to be an upgrade from last year. I don't know why people automatically assume their defense will be as good or better than last year.

I don't buy too much into last night's game, but I don't buy that the Dolphins are significantly better than last year. Just like I don't buy the Jets are significantly better either. And like I don't buy the Pats are taking a step back.

Although I am not going to read into one preseason game, I still don't get the hype for the Dolphins almost as much as I don't get the hype for the Jets.

I think Henne is the second best QB in the division, but that isn't much of a compliment. Yes, Sanchez could be a great QB, but right now he is pretty mediocre. Whoever wins the starting role in Buffalo will be one of the worst QBs in the NFL. Henne could be a good QB, but I don't think he will be in the top 10.

Yes, adding Brandon Marshall will help the offense, but this was a horrible offense that relied on a gimmick to get anything done. Ricky Williams is in his mid 30s and Ronnie Brown is coming off a major injury, the running game could be significantly worse.

People seem to gloss over the fact that they lost arguably their three best defensive players this offseason (Taylor, Porter, and Ferguson). Yes, they have added Dansby (who according to him is the best defensive player in the league, to most other think he is a great ILB but you need to get over yourself Karlos). Yes, their CBs are very promising. But they also have serious questions on the d-line and OLB. In all, they are replacing 5 starters from last year's defense (actually 6 since Starks is moving position) and only one of those positions (Dansby at ILB) is guaranteed to be an upgrade from last year. I don't know why people automatically assume their defense will be as good or better than last year.

I don't buy too much into last night's game, but I don't buy that the Dolphins are significantly better than last year. Just like I don't buy the Jets are significantly better either. And like I don't buy the Pats are taking a step back.

very well said...

Agreed. It's pre-season, and we'll have to wait to see if any trends develop through the next 3 games.

Then again, lots of teams have gone 0-4 in the pre-season and made the playoffs handily. :D

Anyone watching the Colts right now? LOL @ their running game and Curtis Painter.

It's one preseason game and although they did look awful, Sparano always prepares his guys and they play hard for him. Dan Henning is a creative offensive coordinator who gets the most out of his guys and matches his scheme to his personnel and Mike Nolan is a great defensive coordinator who's gonna get that defense to be more aggressive.

Whether they have the personnel to be a playoff team is the question with that team. Although, if I were a betting man, I would bet that they are going to be contending for the AFC East title along with the Pats and Jets because Parcells has proven that he's the best at rebuilding awful teams into contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST