PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: DK Metcalf...great article.

This thread hurts.

Also, come on guys. Wouldn't excel here? There isn't a single thing this guy does worse than Harry (or Harry does as well as he does). He's an upgrade in every facet.

diontae Johnson gets 12 targets per game. He’s the number one in Pitt

mclaurin has been pro bowl level

Slayton on pace for 1000 yards

Dionte Johnson is very good. It doesnt hurt that he has a supposed number one in JuJu,(dont think he plaus like it) Claypool (outstanding rookie) and a good running game with Connor. They got a great system there that is proven.

All those numbers doesn't indicate that he has that quick twitch - change direction speed that Edelman, Godwin, AB, Welker, Branch, Troy all posses and have been a favorite Brady target. The drill that would better indicate his ability to change direction and go in and out of cuts is the 3 cone drill.

DK's time on the 3 cone drill is 7.38 seconds. To give you perspective, Tom Brady's 3 cone drill time is 7.28.

Here's a bit more information about the 3 cone drill and how significant the Pats view this drill when it comes to evaluating receivers - Patriots and the 3-cone drill, an old Belichick favorite

It's obvious Brady has carried over to Tampa his preference on shifty/quick receivers who can get open quickly so he can get rid of the ball before the rush comes.

This is not me saying DK isn't a great receiver. I just don't think he would thrive in the NE passing game. Much like Harry isn't going to thrive in the same system (i don't understand why we picked him).
Fast twitch or not they need someone like Metcalf. They need someone who can win one on one battles and be a threat in the red zone. I don’t know if they put too much emphasis on the three cone drill or what but they need to rethink their receiver evaluations.

I honestly give them a pass on not drafting Metcalf, I think the consensus was that everyone acknowledged he was extremely fast and physically gifted, but there were some concerns around him that i heard from a lot of different sources

The ones that sting badly are passing on AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel and Mecole Hardman. AJ Brown was highly touted coming out of college, and was recognized by many as the most polished route runner. AJ Brown has everything that they saw in Harry, but was actually NFL ready whereas Harry was a project

Just don't get how you miss so horribly in a draft that was STACKED with wide receivers

I honestly give them a pass on not drafting Metcalf, I think the consensus was that everyone acknowledged he was extremely fast and physically gifted, but there were some concerns around him that i heard from a lot of different sources

The ones that sting badly are passing on AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel and Mecole Hardman. AJ Brown was highly touted coming out of college, and was recognized by many as the most polished route runner. AJ Brown has everything that they saw in Harry, but was actually NFL ready whereas Harry was a project

Just don't get how you miss so horribly in a draft that was STACKED with wide receivers

As you say, the true outrage is not that we passed on Metcalf (because there was a good chance his NFL career wouldn't go the way it has so far), but that we took Harry over Brown.

so hilariously depressing :rofl::crying:

Although he was a risk, I thought the Pats were going take a chance and draft Metcalf with the last pick in the first round. However, I also saw them passing on him in fear of what had happened with Chad Jackson (although his ACL tear is something many/if not all people ignore is what most likely ruined his career). That I give them a pass.

Where I don't give them a pass is ONLY draft Harry. Why? I don't know, but I think BB thought his clearance section of WR's were going to stick which badly backfired.

So why is it you think that Metcalf wouldn't excel here? There doesn't seem to be anything he cant do.
Here's the answer to your question:

"Because the quarterback-receiver connection -- based on anticipation and requiring a nearly telepathic level of reading and reacting to the defense -- is so vital in today's pass-happy NFL, the rituals that bond quarterbacks and receivers are more important than ever. Since Metcalf was drafted, he's spent countless hours on fields in San Diego, L.A. and Seattle, often starting at 5:20 a.m., perfecting and expanding his route repertoire under Wilson's watchful eye.

"Wilson and Metcalf spent so much time together that both players say at some point they became more like brothers than teammates. "We're both trying to figure out what greatness looks like," Wilson says. So when COVID-19 hit, and with his wife, Ciara, expecting in July and unable to leave their normally private offseason hangout, Wilson invited Metcalf to join them on the southern tip of the Baja peninsula. And it was here, after the duo took QB-WR bonding to a whole new level, that Metcalf began to fully unlock his ridiculous potential."

Brutal. :( Meanwhile, Harry is working on his run blocking game.

Here's the answer to your question:

"Because the quarterback-receiver connection -- based on anticipation and requiring a nearly telepathic level of reading and reacting to the defense -- is so vital in today's pass-happy NFL, the rituals that bond quarterbacks and receivers are more important than ever. Since Metcalf was drafted, he's spent countless hours on fields in San Diego, L.A. and Seattle, often starting at 5:20 a.m., perfecting and expanding his route repertoire under Wilson's watchful eye.

"Wilson and Metcalf spent so much time together that both players say at some point they became more like brothers than teammates. "We're both trying to figure out what greatness looks like," Wilson says. So when COVID-19 hit, and with his wife, Ciara, expecting in July and unable to leave their normally private offseason hangout, Wilson invited Metcalf to join them on the southern tip of the Baja peninsula. And it was here, after the duo took QB-WR bonding to a whole new level, that Metcalf began to fully unlock his ridiculous potential."

Brutal. :( Meanwhile, Harry is working on his run blocking game.

NKeal Harry seems to have a strong Instagram presence whenever he works out though

We must get every great player there is. Nobody can have a later round steal except for us.

Hilarious that of you are so bitter over what looks more and more like a bad draft pick that, in the middle of the season, you're posting articles praising another team's player.

Hilarious that of you are so bitter over what looks more and more like a bad draft pick that, in the middle of the season, you're posting articles praising another team's player.
So he should be happy we took a bum when a superstar was on the board?

I dont want to pat myself on the back, but... I cautioned this board about the need for coming back down to earth regarding high expectations when Harry was drafted.

This joint was going hog wild just because the Pats finally took a WR in round 1. Harry was cant miss.

And yet we haven't given him the time to prove himself. But shyt on him as you will.

Not just Metcalf. There’s literally 14 WRs from last year’s draft all better than NKeal Harry. And this year at least 8 more.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back