PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Deangelo Hall to Colts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, man. I've seen Bailey do a lot of chasing and biting this year.

I grant you he is the de facto standard, but he has been looking vulnerable this year.

This year Champ plays on a very flawed team. No pass rush worthy of the name again, holes in the linebacking corps, floating safeties that seem to float a lot more than play safety, etc., etc.

For several years now, the Broncos have had 16, 17 defensive linemen in training camp, some bona fide, most just warm bodies. Years of drafting poorly is starting to bite this team in the ass big time.

Quite apart from the perennial special team shortcomings, when you have what passes for this team's pass rush, and QBs have all day to throw, it really doesn't matter who you have back there. They're going to be over matched by (sometimes, even!) pedestrian receivers.

With the departure of Al Wilson at MLB, a huge hole has been created that the estimable DJ Williams cannot possibly fill. He's out of position there, and at times appears in over his head, not that it's all his fault.

But the shortcomings among their front 7, whose number appear legion, means difficulty in containing the running game, which also places additional burdens on Bailey and Bly.

No, Champ is still Champ, but this season he's seeing, perhaps for the first time in his career, just how the other half lives.

I didn't compare him to anyone. I said that statistics such as interceptions are a bad way to measure a CB's contributions when the whole point of being a shutdown corner is to take away an entire side of the field. Deion did that, and it was for almost a decade, not just "a few years." He was better than Rod Woodson, a guy on that list, and played at the same time as Woodson. He is the greatest corner of all time because he was a shutdown corner for the longest and at the height was the best (find me the "greatest" at any position who was great for his entire career... Montana may be the closest you can get, leading the Chiefs to the playoffs, but even he slowed down at the end); the fact that he avoided tackling is an oft-quoted but more or less a moot argument. Deion did tackle, too, it wasn't like he missed or jumped away from every tackle he ever was supposed to make.

I don't agree with this Woodson was a better corner. Woodson would blitz off the edge, cover your best receiver, come up on run defense and help out and would return kicks. There is a reason he was on the NFL's 75th Anniversary team and Deion wasn't as he was better than Primetime until he blew out his knee and had to be move to Safety where continued to dominate and be the best in the league where as Deion was only the best for only maybe 3 years everyone seems to forget his days with the Falcons, Redskins, and Ravens when making this argument.

I contend that Ellis "Young Wolf" Hobbs is the greatest corner in NFL history.

The larger issue seems to be: how can we judge defensive backs? I agree with primetime, that interceptions are only one measure, and although they are one measure of excellence, obviously, given the names on the list, I don't think they are the best statistic. We would have to consider the individual's position--for example, Lott, Woodson, Krause, etc., played safety for at least part of their careers--and we would also have to consider their role in their respective defenses. Sanders was asked primarily to do one thing, and he did it superbly.

Personally, I would have rather had Lott, Layne, or Woodson on my team, in that order, but with Layne getting my vote as best cornerback. But there's no need to deny Deion his due.

Last edited:
I like Dublin. The Brazen Hen makes a hell of a shepard's pie.

I'll keep that in mind. Though you're a Colts troll, so should I assume it's laced with poison? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back