PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Deadspin releases photos of Greg Hardy's victim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember Jerry Jones said last week after Hardy had his sideline meltdown that Hardy is a leader on the Cowboys and they were considering signing him to a lucrative contract extension.

Say what you want about Kraft rolling over on the draft picks, but give him credit in that the Patriots value character highly with respect to off the field issues and would never think about signing people like Hardy regardless of talent level (and when news comes out like Aaron Hernandez, cuts them immediately).

Imagine being a fan of the Cowboys and having to root for this guy to do well on the field. There is no way I can separate my personal feelings from the player. I would hate myself for being happy when he makes a play and would probably have less interest in the team overall. It's also a huge distraction for the team and will take away from their product on the field no matter how good of a pass-rusher Hardy is.

Jerry Jones is a terrible owner except when it comes for paying for stadiums. We are lucky he isn't running the Patriots.

Apparently, in one of his songs, Hardy raps, "everybody thinks I'm a schizophrenic." Based on the article in the OP, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually does suffer from paranoid schizophrenia.

So goodell chose an independent arbitrator for handling hardy case but took on the tough PSI case on himself.

Exactly. About a year ago, Goodell declared himself and the league as leaders in the domestic violence space. Then, when a high profile domestic violence situation comes up for appeal, he's nowhere to be found.

What's worse is that the league had these pictures and still took 6 games off his original suspension.

I think the best question here is why the prosecution dropped the case. I realize she would not testify, but that isn't required. They had her testimony from the bench trial afterall. Those pictures alone should have made a strong case.

I think the best question here is why the prosecution dropped the case. I realize she would not testify, but that isn't required. They had her testimony from the bench trial afterall. Those pictures alone should have made a strong case.

She needed to be there.

Straight from the Deadspin article:
With Holder gone, prosecutors had the choice of dismissing the charges or trying to introduce Holder’s statements as part of the trial. Murray’s office reviewed the interview that Holder gave to police and compared it to a transcript of the bench trial. (District court criminal trials aren’t recorded by a court reporter in North Carolina, Murray wrote, but Hardy’s defense team had hired one and eventually agreed to let prosecutors see it.)

“In comparing the prior statement with Ms. Holder’s District Court testimony, the State concluded that, in her absence, it did not have sufficient legal basis upon which to introduce the initial statement she provided to law enforcement,” Murray wrote.

What does that mean? My repeated attempts to reach Murray for comment got nowhere—he never returned a phone call or email I sent. The assistant district attorney who handled the case, Jamie Adams, has since left the office; I wasn’t able to reach her. At the time, the News & Observer reported that, “Several legal experts around town speculated that prosecutors spotted inconsistencies that prevented them from building their case around Holder’s former accounts.”

There are minor inconsistencies in Holder’s versions of events—in court, for instance, she added a part about Hardy ripping a necklace off of her and throwing it in the toilet, then slamming the toilet lid on her arm repeatedly when she tried to get the necklace, and left out the part where he takes out a cell phone—but the overall order of events stays pretty much the same. None of the inconsistencies in her tellings are nearly as significant as the discrepancies in the various versions of events that Hardy has given.

Her bruises does not look like someone who was picked up over his head and thrown onto a tiled floor in the bathroom or a sofa full of guns. It looks more consistent with someone being restrained or held to tight. If she broke a table in his living room, that likely contributed to the cuts on her hands and feet. Are we gonna say he uppercut her because she has a bruise under her chin? How desperate are we? Why do we always ignore what may have happened to the man during cases of domestic abuse? Hardy may be a piece a crap but there are 2 sides to every story.

Same case with Manziel, should I be convinced he was driving his car down the highway and just decided to beat his girl down, while riding one handed? Are you trying to convince me that girl didn't hit him back or even started hitting him first, which led to her beatdown. I get the whole "a man shouldn't put his hands on a woman" thing, but IMO, if she's trying to fight like a man, unless she's defending herself, then she deserves to go down like one.
I've lurked and posted on this forum for 10 years and this is one of the worse ones I've seen. Congrats.

The fact that Cowboys ownership and some of their fans stand behind this guy is utterly disgusting. How can you defend his character in any way? I'd want that POS off my team, I don't care how good of a player he is.

wonder what collinsworthless will say

" greg, look me in the eye " ****ing joke.

The worst part of this it's being said right before the 3rd and 14 conversion by Edelman. :mad:

She needed to be there.

A buddy of mine, who is a DA, once told me that the victim in these cases will often refuse to testify for various reasons but he will continue to prosecute the case to the fullest extent based on witness testimony, 911 records, police reports etc... The importance of getting it on record is twofold: one, he knows he's on record and further occurrences could result in longer sentences and two, he could be ordered to get some counseling. The difference in this case is that Hardy has the ability to lawyer up while typical cases are probably court appointed. Not sure how that affected the DA's decision not to continue.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm revolted and disgusted.

He's not in jail because he can sack the QB.

Ultimately, who is to blame for that?

Thats where the focus of the outrage should be.

I'm still stuck on the whole idea of an employer being able to discipline or fire someone for a crime they weren't convicted of. Still bothers me, regardless of what Hardy, Rice, et al did.

Every employer could claim that their brand is damaged by an employee's private life behavior, and fire them for that. It opens up all kinds of obnoxious, anti-social behavior on the part of employers. Just not comfortable with it.

Given that if you don't have an employment contract your employer can "discipline or fire" you for any reason whatsoever (other than the usual your gender, religion, race, etc. carveouts) what's the big deal about this?

And if you do have a contract, and your contract you agreed to says you can be "disciplined or fired" for such private life behavior, and your employer does so, what are you complaining about?

Also, to convict you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Failure to convict doesn't mean the person didn't do it. For example, ironclad evidence could have been thrown out because the cops found it illegally, etc. If I as the employer believe the person did it, and I don't want people who I believe did such a crime on my payroll, why shouldn't I be able to fire them? At least until the lefties really take over, no one (thankfully) is owed a job by anyone.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm revolted and disgusted.

He's not in jail because he can sack the QB.

Ultimately, who is to blame for that?

Thats where the focus of the outrage should be.

All the outrage is already spent on PSI and Redskins.

Brutally assault a woman? Four games. Take PEDs? Four games. Be more probably than not at least generally aware of someone else possibly releasing 0.2 PSI of air from a football? Four games. Drink/smoke a couple times if you're Josh Gordon? Year ban!

Welcome to the NFL!

Not only that, but if you possibly had knowledge of someone possibly deflating footballs by .2 psi, and the court rules in your favor, the NFL* will appeal the decision.

If you get your suspension reduced by the courts after brutalizing a woman, this same NFL* will accept the court's ruling.

No, sadly I'm afraid the 10 games to 4 thing is largely based on the same principle that got TBs suspension over turned. That the NFL can't just make it up as it goes along.

It's a little more than that. ****dell had three options on which hill he wanted to fight/die on, Go hard after the guy that he had zero evidence and needed to spend millions of dollars to frame, go after the woman beater or go after both. He decided to just go after Brady.

No one can tell me that he couldn't have appointed himself arbitrator of hardy's appeal and upheld it and went to federal court over a domestic violence issue. Instead he chose to go after arguably the biggest icon in the history of the nfl over a few clicks of PSI that science says was where it should have been.

Last edited:
And Brady is STILL priority on Goodell's* list. Amazing!

It's a little more than that. ****dell had three options on which hill he wanted to fight/die on, Go hard after the guy that he had zero evidence and needed to spend millions of dollars to frame, go after the woman beater or go after both. He decided to just go after Brady.

No can tell me that he couldn't have appointed himself arbitrator of hardy's appeal and uphold it and go to federal court over a domestic violence issue. Instead he chose to go after arguably the biggest icon in the history of the nfl over a few clicks of PSI that science says was where it should have been.
Oh sure. My only point was that Hardy's suspension was reduced on largely identical grounds as Brady's, at least a part of Brady's. The league tried to suspend him based on the retroactive application of a policy that didn't exist at the time of the offense.

I agree that its instructive which case Goodell chose as a hill to die on.

Apparently, in one of his songs, Hardy raps, "everybody thinks I'm a schizophrenic." Based on the article in the OP, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually does suffer from paranoid schizophrenia.
Yeah, the amazing thing was that it seemed as though he was set off by absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents