PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bryant Gumble lashes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
On WFAN apparently Bryant Gumbel made the following statement about why he doesn't watch the Winter Olympics.

"Count me among those who don't care about them and won't watch them. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention," said Gumbel.

Here's a fellow sportswriter's opinion on the issue as well:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=63192

Very unneccessary comments IMO.

Yes, Gumbel did say those comments. Happened about a week ago. Maybe 2.

Very immature and stupid comments if you ask me.

As always, blacks can say what they want about race, whites can't say anything. And so it goes.

BelichickFan said:
As always, blacks can say what they want about race, whites can't say anything. And so it goes.

The double-standard does exist.

It was actually on HBO he said it as a closing commentary on Real Sports.

BelichickFan said:

Charles Barkley was asked if he was watching much of the Olympics and he said 'No, I don't see too many brothers on the slopes'.

The truth hurts.

Seymour93 said:
The truth hurts.

Yeah, right -- and when did they last give the Winter Olympics to an African nation ... :D

re:

I mean, that is an outrageous, blatantly racist statement.

What if an Asian person was interviewed on Wall Street, and said 'No, I don't think this company's long-term prospects are good; there aren't enough Asians in the company', insinuating that Asians were smarter or something.

Bryant Gumble should keep his mouth shut.

If a black person doesn't want to watch the Winter Olympics because there's no black people involved. - FINE.

If a white person doesn't want to watch the NBA because there's no white people involved. - FINE. Put me in this category.

wow

Ya gumble is an idiot! Funny how he didn't say anything negative about the NBA finals becuase of the lack of white guys? :rolleyes:

IMO if he doesn't want to watch the Olympics (winter) becuase of the lack of black people--that's fine and his perogative. However, what I have a problem with is that fact that he mentions that because there are no black athletes (not many anyway) and becuase of that, they are not the world's greatest athletes. That and the GOP crack!! Oh well it's not like he has any relavance anyway!

In my opinion, the winter olympians are the worlds best athletes. I mean in the summer olympics you have runners, jumpers, swimmers: well everyone can run, jump, and swim----they are just the fastest ones at doing it! Not everyone can ski, snowboard, ice skate, ect....so that makes it more challenging. It is also the reason that the winter olympics don't get the amount of ratings that the summer olympics do--it's harder for the majority of the public to relate to the events.

All of this is just my $.02 of course :D

Last edited:
Seymour93 said:
If a black person doesn't want to watch the Winter Olympics because there's no black people involved. - FINE.

If a white person doesn't want to watch the NBA because there's no white people involved. - FINE. Put me in this category.

He didn't say that he didn't want to watch the Winter Olympics because he's black and he only wants to watch sports with blacks in them. He said that the fact that there aren't blacks competing refutes the claim that that the Winter Olympics have "the best athletes" (actually, all they have to have are the best skiers, skaters, hockey players, of course). Dumbass of the day!

Seymour93 said:
The truth hurts.

What truth? Gumbel's statements make it sound as if the Olympics are PURPOSELY racist. They aren't going out and telling black atheletes who want to compete "NO, you can't compete because you are BLACK". For whatever reason, there aren't a lot of blacks who do winter sports. Heck, there aren't a lot of black hockey players, but one of the best was a goalie by the name of Grant Fuhr. I haven't seen many black skiers whenever I have gone skiing. There are some, but not alot.

Perhaps if Gumbel and other wealthy African-Americans would use their wealth to sponsor some minority kids then we could be watching them in the future.

Many of these athlete's come from normal income families who just happened to grow up in colder climates where the love of winter sports is huge. Gumbel is a moron to think anything different.

So what's his take on Bode Miller...a kid who still enjoys sleeping in a van as opposed to a cushy hotel...the less I hear from GumBall the better.

Did anyone here ever here his racist comment that South Korea's greatest export was children??? Unfortunately, whenever GumBall feels he's slipping off his imaginary perch he says something he know's will make the media circuit....he may be ignorant and pompous...but he's certainly not stupid.

:bricks:
story.gumble.jpg
:bricks:​

I think that it is more telling that no one watches his show! Maybe he is saying these controversal things so that more people will tune in? I have HBO, but I do not watch their sports programs. I watched one Bob Costas show and that was the one when Tommy won Sportsman of the Year. I cannot stand Inside the NFL, I stopped watching because of Chris Carter!

The Patriots must not have the best quarterback in the league because he is white (note sarcasm).

BelichickFan said:

Gumbel will probably be praised for making his statement. Meanwhile, Rush Limbaugh makes a true statement about the media over-hyping McNabb becuase he is black and Rush ends up losing his job.

And then Around the Horn's Michael Smith says this when speaking about the recent McNabb/Owens situation-

SMITH: It's not that he was picking out Brett Favre, it's the fact that African-American quarterbacks need more support than criticism. Donovan McNabb has enough criticism to deal with. He didn't need you picking out the gold standard of a white quarterback when everybody else is trying to take Donovan McNabb down as it is.

REALI: Well said, Michael.

Can you say media bias? Why does it have to be like this? Nothing will happen to Gumbel. Meanwhile, if you are white and are considering a career in broadcasting, make sure you are as politically correct as you can be at all times. Otherwise, expect to be out of a job.

Last edited:
Along this topic, there are still very few brothas in head coaching roles in the NFL.
Go figure.

drew4008 said:
Here's a fellow sportswriter's opinion on the issue as well:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=63192

As Chris Russell says, in the accompanying commentary:

... the absolute damning criticism by Gumbel that would never be accepted if Gumbel were white and said he would not watch the NBA because of the lack of non-black players. Imagine if I went on Sporting News Radio and said the NBA is impossible to watch because there are too many blacks, or if I said the reason why I have an incredible passion for hockey is because the player pool is overwhelmingly white. You would want my head on a platter, with knife in hand.

Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder was rightfully fired by CBS, Al Campanis was justifiably fired by the Los Angeles Dodgers for his comments on ABC many years back, and Rush Limbaugh was blown out of his ESPN gig for stupid remarks about Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. If we're being fair here, shouldn't Gumbel be fired for his blatant racist and ignorant comments on HBO last week?

Political correctness teaches us that ... blacks cannot commit racism ... gays cannot commit "hate crimes" ... atheists cannot be bigots ... and speech that offends someone is not protected as free speech. If you don't agree, you require sensitivity re-training.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes