PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bryant Gumble lashes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont remember Gumbel complaining about the winter olympics when he was broadcasting them way back when.

Funny......

from an african amercan, and 'black', poster

BelichickFan said:
As always, blacks can say what they want about race, whites can't say anything. And so it goes.
just remember, charlize theron fits every cinceivable definition of 'african-american'. so does omar sharif.

i really don't know how all to respond to this, but here goes:
a--- bryant gumble is an *******. no doubt about it. has been for 30 years.

b---he has syndicated shows because he, evidently is a dream as a broacaster. perfect english. no uhm, no ahh, no you knows, none of that. supposedly he ALWAYS hit his mark on the floor. he's known to be uncanny at wrapping up a conversation exactly on time to go to commercial.
c---he's "black". and he creates contoversy, which causes talk, exactly like we're doing here.

there are so many problems with this it's comical. as an african-american (aka, 'black') sports fan, i hardly know where to start. i hate to tell you any of this because i wouldd violate an unspoken law, passed down through many generations, that 'black' folks aren't supposed to tell non-'black' folks.

wow

Turd Furguson said:
I dont remember Gumbel complaining about the winter olympics when he was broadcasting them way back when.

Funny......

Funny how that works out! :rolleyes:

My big question is who is he talking about? Are there actually people out there who call Winter Olympians the best athletes in the world? The best skiers, skaters, etc? Sure. But the best athletes? Ridiculous.

To me it isn't about what color guys are in any sport. it's about whether I enjoy watching them. The sports in Winter Olympics are about as entertaining to watch as a blank TV screen. The same goes for golf. Participating in them is fun, watching them is cause for suicide.

ilduce06410 said:
just remember, charlize theron fits every cinceivable definition of 'african-american'. so does omar sharif.

i really don't know how all to respond to this, but here goes:
a--- bryant gumble is an *******. no doubt about it. has been for 30 years.

b---he has syndicated shows because he, evidently is a dream as a broacaster. perfect english. no uhm, no ahh, no you knows, none of that. supposedly he ALWAYS hit his mark on the floor. he's known to be uncanny at wrapping up a conversation exactly on time to go to commercial.
c---he's "black". and he creates contoversy, which causes talk, exactly like we're doing here.

there are so many problems with this it's comical. as an african-american (aka, 'black') sports fan, i hardly know where to start. i hate to tell you any of this because i wouldd violate an unspoken law, passed down through many generations, that 'black' folks aren't supposed to tell non-'black' folks.

While we're on this subject...

...are Pakistanis, Indians and other non-African peoples of darker pigmented skin considered 'black' or 'brothers/sisters' or what?

...I need to know...

I'll try to sum Bryant Gumble up. He's an ******* and everything that comes out of his mouth is extreme bull****. Anyone who take anything he says seriously must be dumb as a post.

Besides that, I don't have any opinion on Bryant Gumble.

Please don't assume that Gumble speaks for all African Americans. Do we really think that all people of a given race or ethnicity think alike? I for one, find the remarks, based on what's been reported, offensive. Then again, I've never conisdered Gumble a deep thinker or even a very good play by play man.

only 2 african nations qualify

Mike the Brit said:
Yeah, right -- and when did they last give the Winter Olympics to an African nation ... :D
i believe south africa has mountains, hotels etc to put in an application. an applying country also has to ante up about $1 billion up fron to put on a games, and this is also perhaps why we won't likely see winter olympics in mexico. japan and korea have had olympicsa, but weren't they both summer?
are the upcoming summer olympics in beijing?
would/could they put on a winter games in turkey?

flutie2phelan said:
As Chris Russell says, in the accompanying commentary:

... the absolute damning criticism by Gumbel that would never be accepted if Gumbel were white and said he would not watch the NBA because of the lack of non-black players. Imagine if I went on Sporting News Radio and said the NBA is impossible to watch because there are too many blacks, or if I said the reason why I have an incredible passion for hockey is because the player pool is overwhelmingly white. You would want my head on a platter, with knife in hand.

Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder was rightfully fired by CBS, Al Campanis was justifiably fired by the Los Angeles Dodgers for his comments on ABC many years back, and Rush Limbaugh was blown out of his ESPN gig for stupid remarks about Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. If we're being fair here, shouldn't Gumbel be fired for his blatant racist and ignorant comments on HBO last week?

Political correctness teaches us that ... blacks cannot commit racism ... gays cannot commit "hate crimes" ... atheists cannot be bigots ... and speech that offends someone is not protected as free speech. If you don't agree, you require sensitivity re-training.
Perfectly said, by both him and you.

I'm annoyed by Gumbel's remarks, but not exactly thrilled at some of the responses here. "Best athletes?" A matter of opinion. Some think that describes NASCAR drivers. Not enough Blacks? I don't know. What is "enough"? There are historical and social reasons that the Winter Olympics are, at least for now, largely white. I think that in this case, discrimination is probably the least of them. We are entering an era in which no one much cares about an athlete's race.

I think that sports in general have done much to weaken prejudices, and I'll bet most of you agree. I'm white and haven't had much contact with Blacks or Latinos, but thanks to TV interviews, I've gotten to "know" or think I know quite a few, be they Patriots or Red Sox or Celtics. And the funny thing is, I genuinely like a lot of these guys. I respect them. I admire them, not just as athletes, but as people. They have taught me a lot, and I don't mean just about sports.

It's not just about physical accomplishment, it's also about brains and heart, and color is no indicator, one way or another, of either. When Willie or Tedy sacks a quarterback, skin color doesn't mean a damn thing. They're both good guys and they're both Patriots. I am equally delighted by either.

I think Bryant is the prisoner of thinking from the past. One could certainly have looked at baseball or football or even basketball say, in the 1950s, and asked why everyone was white. In those days, the answer was because the powers-that-be wanted it that way.

But that's not the case in the Winter Olympics. There are no powers-that-be excluding people of color. There is only geography and history--and its influence won't last forever. Blacks and Latinos simply haven't been exposed to skiing, skating etc. to the degree that whites have. This will change, and that's fine with me. As a spectator, I want to see a great performance, period. The color of the competitor is a non-issue.

Whatever you can say about Gumbel, he's not a dummy. What he might have said is that "I don't see many Black faces here--yet. But I'll bet they're coming. Meanwhile, the people we're seeing are the best at their sport." A few moments thought before opening mouth and inserting foot would have been very useful for him.

ilduce06410 said:
i believe south africa has mountains, hotels etc to put in an application. an applying country also has to ante up about $1 billion up fron to put on a games, and this is also perhaps why we won't likely see winter olympics in mexico. japan and korea have had olympicsa, but weren't they both summer?

Japan has hosted the winter olympics at least twice, Sapporo and Nagano. This thread is way off topic (Patriots) now. I never liked either Gumbel as an announcer of any kind. Those whiny, nasally voices...

it illustrates the american pathology about race.

Flying Fungi said:

...are Pakistanis, Indians and other non-African peoples of darker pigmented skin considered 'black' or 'brothers/sisters' or what?

...I need to know...

the hilarious anwer is "NO"!
colin powell has a story about driving in alabama in, about, 1962 and wanting to get a sandwich. he was in an an army uniform, with ribbons etc. he pulls into a roadside diner and orders a cheeseburger. the lady behind the counter asks, 'are you cuban or something?' answer no. 'well are you one of those indians or paki-somethings'. answer no.
well we don't serve no colored at the counter here. i'll fix you something if you go around back'.
and that's how itt was, and still is in a few areas.
american indians were generally treated worse than blacks in those encounters.
blacks and american indians, yeah, we consider and behave in accordance with 'brotha-sistah'. but indians, pakistanis, most other dark-skinned people? nnononono. they want no pasrt of this stuff.

check this out....

Mainefan said:
I'm annoyed by Gumbel's remarks, but not exactly thrilled at some of the responses here. ... I think that in this case, discrimination ...may...be sconomic and social, but race is probably the least of them. We are entering an era in which no one much cares about an athlete's race.

I think that sports in general have done much to weaken prejudices, and I'll bet most of you agree. I'm white and haven't had much contact with Blacks or Latinos, but thanks to TV interviews, I've gotten to "know" or think I know quite a few, be they Patriots or Red Sox or Celtics. And the funny thing is, I genuinely like a lot of these guys. I respect them. I admire them, not just as athletes, but as people. They have taught me a lot, and I don't mean just about sports.

It's not just about physical accomplishment, it's also about brains and heart, and color is no indicator....one way or another, of either. When Willie or Tedy sacks a quarterback.... I am equally delighted by either.

I think Bryant is the prisoner of thinking from the past. One could certainly have looked at baseball or football or even basketball say, in the 1950s, and asked why everyone was white. In those days, the answer was because the powers-that-be wanted it that way.

But that's not the case in the Winter Olympics. There are no powers-that-be excluding people of color. There is only geography and history--and its influence won't last forever. Blacks and Latinos simply haven't been exposed to skiing, skating etc. to the degree that whites have. This will change....I want to see a great performance, period. The color of the competitor is a non-issue.

Whatever you can say about Gumbel, he's not a dummy. What he might have said is that "I don't see many Black faces here--yet. But I'll bet they're coming. Meanwhile, the people we're seeing are the best at their sport." A few moments thought before opening mouth and inserting foot would have been very useful for him.
sorry for the edits, just trying to keep some of 'mass' of these posts down.
i believe the color of the competitors is fast becoming a non-issue. i'll bet you will find a research issues if you wish) that in about 20 states, when a black runner competes against a white runner in a track meet, you'll still hear a comment made among white spectators.
heck, i've heard a comment or two in patriots games, and certainly at the old boston garden and at fenway park from 1967 to today. but it is, i believe, becoming a non-issue.
You said 'I think that Bryant is a prisoner from thinking from the past. I agree. So am I. and if you're older than 30, so are you.
this is a sports, patriots, messageboard. i'm going to another thread. so any more convesation on this send me a private message.

ilduce06410 said:

Nah -- South Africa doesn't have proper skiing.

http://www.webpro.co.za/clients/ski/sa_scene.htm

Japan does -- and it gets medals at the Winter Olympics (and had the Sapporo winter games, as I recall).

I know some black ski teachers, by the way -- but in a resort with probably around 350 there are only three (2 French, 1 British).

I don't see any reason to expect it to change much -- or any reason to worry if it doesn't.

Flying Fungi said:

...I need to know...

Indians etc. are by science caucasians. They also lack substantive vertical leaping capability FWIW.

PATSNUTme said:
I'll try to sum Bryant Gumble up. He's an ******* and everything that comes out of his mouth is extreme bull****. Anyone who take anything he says seriously must be dumb as a post.

Besides that, I don't have any opinion on Bryant Gumble.

What a shocking post!

As soon as mikey or NEM post something on here you, PNM, are always the first one to play the "No politics in the main forum!" card. And yet you seem to have no problem with this thread on here. Hmmmm....I wonder why...

Mike the Brit said:
He didn't say that he didn't want to watch the Winter Olympics because he's black and he only wants to watch sports with blacks in them. He said that the fact that there aren't blacks competing refutes the claim that that the Winter Olympics have "the best athletes" (actually, all they have to have are the best skiers, skaters, hockey players, of course). Dumbass of the day!

Well, I think we all can see his underlying point here. He thinks blacks are greater athletes than a bunch of Scandinavians, and to be fair it's hard to argue against the "great black athlete" theory. "The great black athlete" has certainly taken over American sports, so maybe it's a shock to for Gumble to watch something different. The Winter Games are a bit of a joke anyway. Curling and the X-Games are two of the sports Americans are best at and they're both prominently featured at Torino.

Seymour93 said:
Well, I think we all can see his underlying point here. He thinks blacks are greater athletes than a bunch of Scandinavians, and to be fair it's hard to argue against the "great black athlete" theory. "The great black athlete" has certainly taken over American sports, so maybe it's a shock to for Gumble to watch something different. The Winter Games are a bit of a joke anyway. Curling and the X-Games are two of the sports Americans are best at and they're both prominently featured at Torino.
How can you say his statements aren't racist? I don't understand how you are defending him, if so, I lost a lot of respect for you, as his statements really irritate me.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Indians etc. are by science caucasians. They also lack substantive vertical leaping capability FWIW.

Actually, by science they are Orientals --the Orient being the East and the Occident being the West...but I'm no occidental tourist...

on an ironic note, I am most assuredly Whitey, but when I let my hair and beard grow out and have a solid tan going, I have actually been discriminated against in Michigan as an Arab...good ole New Hampshire Franco-American with Native American heritage...little did they know I was packing a container of gorton!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes