PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ball Carrier - Can the ball touch the ground?

Jim Beankie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Maybe a basic (and dumb) question, but I can't find the rules for this in the NFL rulebook. If a ball carrier decides to carry the ball "like a loaf of bread" and to touch the ground with the ball with full control, is that considered down? I know that post catch, the ball can hit the ground if possession is secure, but was just curious if purposefully using the ball to steady oneself would be allowed. Not that I could realistically see this given the massively disastrously high risk of fumbling unless someone has >24" hands.

"Note: If, after contact by an opponent, any part of a runner’s leg above the ankle or any part of his arm above the wrist touches the ground, the runner is down." The question is would the ball be considered "part of the arm above the wrist?"

An extreme version of this would be if this dude were holding a football in his palm while "running":

Depends on whether it's a Pats player or not. This forum overwhelming agreed this was a catch (gotta watch around the 3rd angle when it bounces odd the ground):

I think its ok if the ball touches the ground as long as the player's knee or arms/elbows don't touch the ground or ass providing he already has possession.

The ball is still a live ball... Its the player, not the ball that matters; unless the ball touches out of bounds, then its a dead ball

The ball is still a live ball... Its the player, not the ball that matters; unless the ball touches out of bounds, then its a dead ball
Right, and even if he fumbles the ball in bounds he can pick it back up and keep running.

I'm pretty sure any body part other than the hand or foot is required to touch the ground in order to be down.... along with contact from a defender.

An exception would be if the player "gives himself up," which has recently saved a few guys from embarrassing fumbles.

So, although it's the only deciding factor in a rugby try, just the ball touching wouldn't be considered down.

actually...it's almost entirely up to which ref crew is doing the game. Even if it's clear that ball is down, the head ref will just say "inconclusive"...Hockaloogie JR. and Blakeman immediately come to mind

Depends on whether it's a Pats player or not. This forum overwhelming agreed this was a catch (gotta watch around the 3rd angle when it bounces odd the ground):

Looks like his hand is under the ball

Ball is part of the hand. I think.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST