PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Orton Waived: Tebow time seems likely to continue for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't seem to make sense. Why cut him? With the style Tebow plays you would have to think there is significant risk of injury.
That was my first thought as well, but I'm thinking now it is being done in hopes of dumping his salary. If another team claims him then that new team absorbs the remainder of his contract.

The only other thing that could possibly make sense is that Orton was a divisive force in the locker room, with some players wanting him to start and others wanting Tebow to start.

Don't tell anyone in New York but the NY Jets sure could use a quarterback!

I was snooping in the jets forum a while ago and I've learned snachez is actually awesome, Their problems come from the OC, no running game, the OL, WR's dropping passes, and solar flares. Their problem is not the QB apparently. In a jets fans world sanchez rodgers brady brees and manning are the elite QB's of the nfl.

they said on weei that Orton's requested it because he wanted to go to the Chicago Bears

they said on weei that Orton's requested it because he wanted to go to the Chicago Bears

can he say NO to other team claims?

like say Tenn claims him... can he say screw you NO and pass on down the list more until he reaches the Bears?

If I were Orton I would say "if you claim me and your not the Bears watch how many Picks I'm going to throw.... just watch me dog it".

Last edited:
can he say NO to other team claims?
If I recall correctly all players regardless of tenure must pass through waivers after the trading deadline has passed.

Orton's 2011 salary is $7.379 million, which means if a team claims him he makes $2.6 million from them for the rest of the year. If he clears waivers and signs a new contract as a free agent, he probably only makes about $500k the rest of the year.

Is his desire to go only to Chicago high enough to be willing to walk away from $2 million, by making a stink about playing anywhere else? I don't know, but I'm guessing he wouldn't walk away from that much money.

If I were Orton I would say "if you claim me and your not the Bears watch how many Picks I'm going to throw.... just watch me dog it".

With an attitude like that, Its shocking that ELWAY, of all people, released him...

Nahmean? dude wouldn't play for the colts.

Last edited:
How funny would it be if the Chiefs claim Orton and they beat the Jets. Right now the Jets fans are salivating over an easy win after watching Palko last night.

Right now, the Chiefs have a higher waiver claim than the Bears. He is more likely to go there.

The problem is that the Bears are behind all the other teams that might claim him other than maybe the Texans in the waiver process. He has no say of where he goes if someone else claims him. I doubt he would hold out with $2.8 million due to him.

Last edited:
If nothing else, this provides physical evidence that the Colts are purposely throwing games.

Orton is a top 20 QB in the league. He deserves to start somewhere

If nothing else, this provides physical evidence that the Colts are purposely throwing games.
Roger Goodell is too busy trying to figure out how to get the NY Jets into the AFC Playoffs.

Kansas City is currently 2 games out of the AFC West. They should put in a claim on Orton.

Horrible schedule coming up but the NFL in 2011 is weird.

There was a graphic on MNF that showed the Pats with the easiest schedule in the league (avg opp record = .333) from here on out and the Chiefs with the toughest (avg opp record = .666).

There was a graphic on MNF that showed the Pats with the easiest schedule in the league (avg opp record = .333) from here on out and the Chiefs with the toughest (avg opp record = .666).

KC was handed a tough schedule down the stretch, even if they were healthy. They finish the season with the Pats, Steelers, Bears, Jets, Packers, Raiders and Broncos. I wouldn't be surprised if they go winless for the rest of the season. With Cassel on IR KC fans won't be able to blame him for all the upcoming losses, and Haley will be the first NFL coach to lose his job.

Maybe he ends up in Saint Louis, that's where Josh McDaniels is the OC and the Rams also need QB help.

I do not want Orton to be in the AFC East.

KC wins. I think the bad news here is the (moronic) possibility that Haley ends up liking him more than Cassel.

KC wins. I think the bad news here is the (moronic) possibility that Haley ends up liking him more than Cassel.

The good news is the Chiefs have a shot at beating the Jets now. That is all I care about at this point. I want to see the Jets go down in flames so Sexy Rexy can start on the "No really, this is the year we are going win the Super Bowl" campaign for 2012 even before the end of the year.

The good news is the Chiefs have a shot at beating the Jets now. That is all I care about at this point. I want to see the Jets go down in flames so Sexy Rexy can start on the "No really, this is the year we are going win the Super Bowl" campaign for 2012 even before the end of the year.

Luckily, unlike BB, Todd Haley doesn't have final control over the roster. ;)

Good thinking! Orton will have the weapons around him too, Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin to atleast score more than the 10 points the Jets will score, along with the 7 Sanchez will score for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back