PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ortiz To Be Dropped in the Batting Order?

You guys point to 'roids immediately because that's what you want to see, you see what you want to see.

Yeah well maybe that 190 is really 290 ... I'm just not seeing it right.

Actually it does matter. Some things you can fix and others will only get worse.

He's 33 years old (and maybe older...dominican players seem to have that problem).He has classic "old player skills" and guys of that skillset tend to decline early. He's getting blown away by 88mph fast balls. Theres absolutely no reason to think anything other than physical decline.

What is Ortiz's ceiling at this point? 250/330/380? Do we want a DH like that?

He can't hit the fastball anymore and it's not because he can't see it.

And how are you determining that? Most of these guys have way better than average eye sight in their prime. Just a little decline can mean that it takes longer to pick up the ball and focus and determine spin.

He could be 20/10, and have the eyesight still be a problem.

Do you even follow the game? Ortiz hit six homers in the last month of the previous season. It's also not the first time a slugger started the first several weeks of a new season in a slump. You guys point to 'roids immediately because that's what you want to see, you see what you want to see.

We're not talking several weeks anymore. Small sample size is not an excuse anymore. This is not just a slump. Its 200+ plate appearances below the mendoza line.

I watch a LOT of baseball, and when a 33+ year old DH is suddenly getting nothing but 88 mph fast balls down the center of the plate, and can't do anything with them for 200 straight plate appearances, hes done.

Everyone wants to DL him, or send him to AAA. We can't do that unless he allows it. I doubt hes going to allow himself to be demoted.

There's nothing wrong with his eyesight.

Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz thinking of getting eyes checked - ESPN

Ortiz says he will have eyes checked

David Ortiz doesn't think that his season-long slump has anything to do with his eyes. At this point, though, he's willing to try just about anything.

3748.jpg

Ortiz

Ortiz, who didn't play in Boston's 6-3 win over Detroit Thursday, is hitting .187 with just one home run this season.
"I've been thinking about getting my eyes checked -- for real," he said. "My vision has always been 20-20, and I'm not feeling anything crazy, but I'm going to get it checked out."

Then maybe he can get his batspeed checked, his hand to eye coordination checked, his correct birthdate checked; try em all, this gets worse by the day with no end in sight (no pun intended) ...............

Then maybe he can get his batspeed checked, his hand to eye coordination checked, his correct birthdate checked; try em all, this gets worse by the day with no end in sight (no pun intended) ...............

I must admit his swing looked a bit better Wednesday night. Now if he could just get the bat there a milli-second faster he'd be hitting doubles just like Wad Boggs.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe father time is calling his name,it happened to Jim Rice right around this age.

Maybe father time is calling his name,it happened to Jim Rice right around this age.

Well ... at least Ortiz got paid. I mean had he stayed in Minny who knows :confused2:

He got a pretty good contract here ... what was it like $40 million?
Also ... he's legend ... old fashioned folk hero.
He will always be well liked and he will always be able to raise great sums for charity wherever he goes. He has been and will continue to be a person who will have lived a life that has benefitted many ... he will smile when remembering life as a member of the Red Sox ... forever. How this season progresses will not effect how he will be remembered. He's 1/4 tonight, he could end up hitting .250 for the year ... who knows?

Last edited:
Well ... at least Ortiz got paid. I mean had he stayed in Minny who knows :confused2:

He got a pretty good contract here ... what was it like $40 million?
Also ... he's legend ... old fashioned folk hero.
He will always be well liked and he will always be able to raise great sums for charity wherever he goes. He has been and will continue to be a person who will have lived a life that has benefitted many ... he will smile when remembering life as a member of the Red Sox ... forever. How this season progresses will not effect how he will be remembered. He's 1/4 tonight, he could end up hitting .250 for the year ... who knows?

I agree. He's done a hell of a lot for this franchise during his time here.

I wish he could end up hitting .250 but that would probly require him hitting .280 the rest of the way. I just want the power back.

Well ... Papi's eyes are okay ... so i was wrong ... sorry Papi.

Now I'm thinking he's hitting better and he is seeing the ball better.

could this simply have been a case of
your eyesight goes bad when you :eek::eek: too much ... oh, never mind that theory.

I'm just saying ... take it easy. :D:D:D

Last edited:
its time to drop ortiz even further.. when julio lugo has a better BA then u and ur 2 months into the season its time for u to let go.. Ortiz is done, we all just love him to much to admit it.. Ortiz needs to get dropped to 8 or 9 or maybe drop him out of the lineup a little more often and give Rocko some at bats at DH..

its time to drop ortiz even further.. when julio lugo has a better BA then u and ur 2 months into the season its time for u to let go.. Ortiz is done, we all just love him to much to admit it.. Ortiz needs to get dropped to 8 or 9 or maybe drop him out of the lineup a little more often and give Rocko some at bats at DH..
ya lets drop him when hes got a seven game hitting streak and 2 hrs in the last week :rolleyes: makes perfect sense:rolleyes:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back