PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ortiz To Be Dropped in the Batting Order?

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Finally ... the situation resolution begins:
Too much loyalty in baseball ... just my opinion.

Excite - Sports News

BOSTON (AP) -David Ortiz might be dropped from the third spot in Boston's batting order.

"I think that's something we're going to discuss," Red Sox hitting coach Dave Magadan said after Ortiz went O for 5 in Sunday's 12-5 win over the Mets, dropping his batting average to .195.

"We'll probably talk about it on the flight (to Minnesota). We want to do not only what's best for David but what's best for the team," he added. "He's got to be a big part of our offense. By no means do I feel like I feel he's at the end of the rope." The switch could come when Boston plays the Twins Monday afternoon.

Last edited:
putting him down in the order should happen tonight...we will see

You think Drew and Ortiz switch spots?

You think Drew and Ortiz switch spots?

I don't want Drew in the 3rd spot ... My order says screw the righty-lefty thing.

1 - Jacoby
2 - Pedroia
3 - Youk
4 - Bay
5 - Lowell
6 - Drew
7 - Varitek

I don't know man, Drew's OBP in front of Youk and Bay just reaks rbi opportunities galore for those guys.

Ortiz has been dropped to 6th tonight, should be a good spot for him to have some of the pressure taken off his shoulders

Ortiz has been dropped to 6th tonight, should be a good spot for him to have some of the pressure taken off his shoulders

Will hitting 6th help his eyesight ... :ugh::nosmile::attention::itsok:

He has no confidence at the plate plus he is pressing.

There's nothing wrong with his eyesight.

Eyesight, bat speed, wrist, knee, whatever. Does it really matter?

He's been hitting 190 with no power for almost 300 straight plate appearances now. (going back into last year.). He's probably not a .190 guy, but he sure as hell isn't the 300/450/600 guy he was a couple years ago. Its not small sample size anymore, hes just not that good.

Eyesight, bat speed, wrist, knee, whatever. Does it really matter?

He's been hitting 190 with no power for almost 300 straight plate appearances now. (going back into last year.). He's probably not a .190 guy, but he sure as hell isn't the 300/450/600 guy he was a couple years ago. Its not small sample size anymore, hes just not that good.

Actually it does matter. Some things you can fix and others will only get worse.

There's nothing wrong with his eyesight.

It's not everyday that major league players miss a fastball by several inches. they may swing late or miss it a bit but not usually by several inches. Ortiz is guessing location and swinging at the 4 corners of the plate because he can't pick it up soon enough.

He can't hit the fastball anymore and it's not because he can't see it.

As much as I love the big guy, we've been patient for more than long enough with him and he needs a stint in AAA to get his confidence and form back.

Until he's hitting consistently and seeing the ball, there's no place for him in our line up in his current form.

As much as I love the big guy, we've been patient for more than long enough with him and he needs a stint in AAA to get his confidence and form back.

Until he's hitting consistently and seeing the ball, there's no place for him in our line up in his current form.

I agree, but I say send him to extended spring training where he won't have as many fans to deal with, he will be in a relaxed atmosphere, and it may be a good place for him to relax in the heat and get his mind right again.

I agree, but I say send him to extended spring training where he won't have as many fans to deal with, he will be in a relaxed atmosphere, and it may be a good place for him to relax in the heat and get his mind right again.

Not that I'm arguing but how is it that one of the best clutch hitters in baseball suddenly needs to relax. Adrenaline was his fuel ... he admitted as much when he came here from the Twins ... said the atmosphere energized him. Now suddenly it's draining him. I say the media is just too used to talking :blahblah:. He can't see, his bat is slow and I'm telling you his face/head has shrunk a few sizes in the last month or so. All his hats look brand new and smaller.

Just saying ... that's all ... :confused2:

Last edited:
He's been hitting 190 with no power for almost 300 straight plate appearances now. (going back into last year.).

Do you even follow the game? Ortiz hit six homers in the last month of the previous season. It's also not the first time a slugger started the first several weeks of a new season in a slump. You guys point to 'roids immediately because that's what you want to see, you see what you want to see.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back