PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinions Of a Pessimist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimke

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Things are slow so I would like to express a few of my opinions.
1. The Patriots had a good draft. Even their late round defensive
picks are pretty good players.
2. The addition of Thomas and Mills should improve their third down
and goal line offense.
3. The kicker's job is Gostkowski's to lose. Brad Seely must have really
liked him to use a fourth round pick to get him.
4. Fred Roach is a good football player. The knock on him is that he
is a slow two down run stuffer with limited coverage abilities. He sounds
like Ted Johnson.
5. Herring and Jackson are good strong safetys. If they are good
special team players, they may pressure T. Jones, Mitchell, and Sanders
for a roster spot.
On the flip side, I will not be satisfied until the Pats do some of the following;
1. Sign a high profile free agent. Ty Law would be nice.
2. Re-sign Koppen, Branch, Graham, and Samuels. Low balling will
not do the job. A fair offer which increases their 2006 salaries might.
3. Sign a couple more wide receivers. It is still the weakest area on the team. True, we signed Caldwell and drafted Jackson but we lost Givens,
Davis, and Dwight in 2006 and Patten in 2005. The UDFA's we signed
(Davis and Shelton) had less than spectacular college careers.

a high profile free agent? What would be the point? Signing a big name just for the sake of saying we signed a big name? If ty law accepts a good offer to come back then so be it, if he wants to be one of the highest paid CB in the league, see ya later.

Jimke said:
like Ted Johnson.
what a terrible knock: the guy sounds like another ted johnson

we're doomed

spacecrime said:

we're doomed

I think you read that wrong. He was stating that the knock on Roach was that he wasn't an everydown LB which is why he didn't get drafted. I think the TJ thing was a compliment. Just my take.

spacecrime said:

we're doomed

Actually, w/ his build, I was thinking more Sam Hunt.:singing:

Just remember this one thing about pessimists.

" Pessimists are never disappointed - - they are just pleasantly surprised! "

:cool:

spacecrime said:

we're doomed

He meant that as a compliment.

I disagree on the WR's. I believe the Pats are going to play a ton of double wides and double tights next season. With Maroney or Dillion in the backfield to pick up the blitz or lug the rock, defenses can not tee off and bltz us to death anymore.
Plus we have the luxury of splitting Watson out as a slot reciever. that's going to cause opposing DC's and safties to have nightmares.
Last year the OL had to deal with inexperience and injuries. With any luck at all, they will have a much more stable 2006 and we will finally get to see the offense we ran in the 2005 preseason, but not during the regular season.
Watson busting a deep seem route is a beautiful sight, unles you are the DB covering him.

Just to set things straight. I thought Ted Johnson was a terrific,

run stuffing linebacker. He played his two downs and then came

off the field.

Let me cheer you up! :)

Jimke said:

You're not a true pessimist. If your were, you'd be panning this draft.

JMHO: I loved this draft.

Jimke said:
and goal line offense.

Again, you're not a true pessimist. Such a person would bemoan the continuous drafting of TEs.

JMHO: Thomas will add depth to the important TE position and will be an upgrade over Fauria, who's now winding down his career in DC. Mills will be an upgrade over Pass. I'm sure Garrett won't drop the football to grab a hammy.

Jimke said:
3. The kicker's job is Gostkowski's to lose. Brad Seely must have really liked him to use a fourth round pick to get him.

If you are what you claimed to be, you'd be PO'd at this pick. Even I thought it was a reach. However, the guy hasn't missed a kick from 40-49 since 2003.

Jimke said:
4. Fred Roach is a good football player. The knock on him is that he is a slow two down run stuffer with limited coverage abilities. He sounds like Ted Johnson.

You can't be what you claim to be. Now you're pulling my leg. If Roach, UDFA, is to be another TJ, that would make me giddy. The only thing about Roach, he's got a history of knee injuries.

Jimke said:
5. Herring and Jackson are good strong safetys. If they are good special team players, they may pressure T. Jones, Mitchell, and Sanders
for a roster spot.

Only an optimist would find some solace in these guys.

From this point, you'll need to look on the bright side of life. Sit back and sip the Kool-Aid. :cool:

Jimke said:
On the flip side, I will not be satisfied until the Pats do some of the following;

If RH and/or James Sanders steps up in 2006, the Pats secondary should be better (with the addition of Hobbs) than the 2004 squad that helped held Indy to 3 points in the AFC DIV game. Law wasn't needed.

Jimke said:
2. Re-sign Koppen, Branch, Graham, and Samuels. Low balling will not do the job. A fair offer which increases their 2006 salaries might.

Why question a salary distribution system that works? Brady and Seymour could have racked the Pats over the coals (as Peyton did to Indy) to get the best deals possible. They did not. "Low-balling" is unfair. How about "not overpaying"? Givens wasn't worth #1 WR money, Law wanted a ridiculous contract, Andruzzi was a guard and interior OL are easy to replace. BTW define "fair". That is such a subjective term.

As for the players you mentioned...

Koppen: All I've heard is that he suffered a torn rotator cuff. Unless anyone heard otherwise, there's a good chance he'll be on PUP list this year. Anyway, Russ Hochstein did a solid job at center and Gene Mrzcowski (sp) is still in the mix. Unless Koppen makes a strong recovery, his chances of returning in 2007 are slim.

Branch: I agree, he should be re-signed. He's a special player. But, like Brady and Seymour he needs to accept a contract in concordance with the Pats capology.

Graham: Unless he wants to stay here and be a #2 TE, he's gone. He could be tagged for 2007 and become part of a sign-n-trade (see Tebucky Jones). Problem is, we have Watson who's got more talent and upside. As for Graham, a blocking TE isn't too hard to find.

Samuel: Who's "Samuels"? Asante had a very good 2004 season. According to KC Joyner, in 2004, the Pats were able to funnel coverage help to Randall Gay because Samuel was doing such a good job on his side of the field. He struggled in 2005 but was victimized by crappy officiating in the Denver game. The loss of RH might have had something to do with it too. I'd like to see him return. I can't see why not.

Jimke said:
3. Sign a couple more wide receivers. It is still the weakest area on the team. True, we signed Caldwell and drafted Jackson but we lost Givens, Davis, and Dwight in 2006 and Patten in 2005. The UDFA's we signed

Branch is one of the best WRs, IMO. But with an improved running game and a healthy Brady, I'm confident another WR will step up. Signing WRs for the sake of signing them isn't panacea. All of the WRs you mentioned: Givens, Davis, Dwight, Patten weren't that good. IMO, Givens was overrated and the Titans won't like the results. Dwight is an over-30 return man. Davis wasn't worth the 2006 5th round pick we traded for him. Patten was a FA bust in DC. Hey, when you sign Randle-El and trade for Brandon Lloyd, while you still have Santana Moss, that doesn't speak well of Patten.

Feel better? :)

Last edited:
Jimke said:
Just to set things straight. I thought Ted Johnson was a terrific,

run stuffing linebacker. He played his two downs and then came

off the field.
Sorry. I guess the title (pessimist) confused me. It doesn't take much these days .....

I think Roach would make a great Ted Johnson replacement. At this time. I reserve the right to change my mind if he sucks (to get back into the pessimistic mode)

Brady-To-Branch said:
Again, you're not a true pessimist. Such a person would bemoan the continuous drafting of TEs.

No no, he's a pessimist, not a whiner! A pessimist worries everything will go wrong. A whiner thinks everyone else is wrong.

There's plenty left to worry about on the team -- the injuries! the coaching turnover! the LB depth! -- but precious little to complain about.

Jimke said:
and goal line offense.
3. The kicker's job is Gostkowski's to lose. Brad Seely must have really
liked him to use a fourth round pick to get him.
like Ted Johnson.
5. Herring and Jackson are good strong safetys. If they are good
special team players, they may pressure T. Jones, Mitchell, and Sanders
for a roster spot.
3. Sign a couple more wide receivers. It is still the weakest area on the team. True, we signed Caldwell and drafted Jackson but we lost Givens,

I agree with basically everything you said. However, I don't think it's important to re-sign Graham or Samuel, and I wouldn't mind a ton if Dan Koppen left. Graham is a great blocker, but Ben Watson wasn't a first-round pick to be a backup, and we have invested two middle-round picks this year on tight ends. Samuel was basically shown up by every top receiver he went against last year because of his lack of speed. We could get by without him.

I have to agree with the poster, we do have some concerns to address and $$$ to invest.
We have done well so far... just need to finish the job.

Jimke said:
1---I think they will sign one..but when will one be available at their price?? Do you wish they sign someone just to throw money away OR overpay for?? I do think they will bring in some vets to fill holes...they have money and will do what it takes when they are available. 2-----I hope they do address the 4 and I think over time they will; give them time to do that, there is a few months for that. Be patient!! I also think they will trade/sign up a few more wideouts; I agre more are needed to make the camp a bit more competitive. A hungry BJ would help this as well. Be patient..it will all work out in the end...

RavenOfProphecy said:
I agree with basically everything you said. However, I don't think it's important to re-sign Graham or Samuel, and I wouldn't mind a ton if Dan Koppen left. Graham is a great blocker, but Ben Watson wasn't a first-round pick to be a backup, and we have invested two middle-round picks this year on tight ends. Samuel was basically shown up by every top receiver he went against last year because of his lack of speed. We could get by without him.
1. Ben Watson isn't a backup. The Pats base offensive formation is 2 TE.

2. If we don't re-sign Graham, we will be using a very high draft pick next year on a TE.

3. We run a 2 TE offense. That mean you need three starting qualtiy TEs that can block and catch.

4. We only signed one this year (Thomas).

5. At 6'0", 232# Mills is a FB, not a TE.

spacecrime said:
1. Ben Watson isn't a backup. The Pats base offensive formation is 2 TE.

2. If we don't re-sign Graham, we will be using a very high draft pick next year on a TE.

3. We run a 2 TE offense. That mean you need three starting qualtiy TEs that can block and catch.

4. We only signed one this year (Thomas).

5. At 6'0", 232# Mills is a FB, not a TE.

Careful about using physical measurements to define position, especially with the Patriots. Does Seymour's size make him a FB? How about Ashworth and Vrabel as TEs?

Hell, Mills may end up filling in at OLB for the pats...:D

GoWhalers said:
Careful about using physical measurements to define position
Get back to me when Ellis Hobbs and Bethel Johnson are playing NT.

GoWhalers said:
Does Seymour's size make him a FB?
Yeah, he's played that position. He has the physical measurements for it.

GoWhalers said:
How about Ashworth and Vrabel as TEs?
Yeah, they've played that position. They has the physical measurements for it.

GoWhalers said:
Hell, Mills may end up filling in at OLB for the pats...:D
Nope,he doesn't have the physical measurements for it. :D

Brady-To-Branch said:
Graham: Unless he wants to stay here and be a #2 TE, he's gone. He could be tagged for 2007 and become part of a sign-n-trade (see Tebucky Jones). Problem is, we have Watson who's got more talent and upside. As for Graham, a blocking TE isn't too hard to find.
The BS (Male Bovine Fertilizer) warning flag has been hoisted! :eek:

Neighbor, you had a good post going until you hit this brown land mine. Graham is the number one TE because he brings more versatility to the table then Watson. When I watch tape, he is the best blocker on the team, O-line included. He is an athletic receiver with good hands who makes additional yards after the catch and is a challenge to bring down. Part of what makes the running game effective is little 260 pound Daniel Graham taking on 320+ pound DTs and winning.

Watson has all the tools to equal him at some point, but unless his blocking improves astronomically, it won't be this year. He improved steadily over the course of his first season, but watching the Denver and Jacksonville games you still saw him whiffing on key blocks. I expect him to keep getting better and to be a more potent force as a receiver after his "rookie" campaign, but he will continue as the #2 TE for another year or two.

Now that Seymour is signed, I rate the extension priorities to be Graham, Branch, Samuel/Wilson, Koppen/Hochstein. If TBC, Klecko, and Beisel step up and win starting or key role jobs this season, they'll make the priority list before the FA period next year.

By the way, welcome aboard (but wipe your feet please!) :cool:

1. Mincey is pretty interesting to me, but I dont expect much from Anderson or Smith or Roach. Remember Christian Morton, our 7th round CB taken in 2004? Yeah, me neither. 7th rounders are a shot in the dark. For every Givens, there are 4 or 5 nobodies. That's not going to change any time soon.

2. The addition of Thomas and Mills should improve their third down and goal line offense? I dont believe it. The addition of Moroney, Stevenson and O'Callaghan is more likely to play a factor in the red zone. Thomas and Mills are more likely to improve the ST coverage units.

4. Fred Roach is a good football player, but Claridge will be better.

5. Herring and Jackson are good strong safeties.... in college. Expect nothing more than camp bait.

6. I dont want Ty Law at all. We can sign him for too much money, get older and slower... great.

7. Re-sign Branch. Make Koppen, Graham and Samuel fair offers, and let them walk if they want. Graham... I love his game, but let's see what we get from Thomas and Mills. Remember, we have draft picks next year, too. I'd rather save the cap room for the Seymours and Branches and Vrabels on the team.

8. Sign maybe one more veteran wide receiver for depth and competition, but that's just about it. BB didn't spend an early 2nd on Jackson to be a backup. He thinks the kid is going to be the next Marvin Harrison. Hope to hell he's right.

Losing Givens, Davis, Dwight and Patten... whatever. Givens has been adequately replaced, Davis and Patten were no better than Caldwell. Dwight only saw the field in the kicking game, and we should have that covered with some talented and fast rookies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back