PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Only two things really matter: Our record and our health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kargetina

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
If an outsider with no knowledge of our history would check these boards, he would come to one conclusion: We've never won a Super Bowl and every year we go through the same thing, a pre-season promise that unravels during the season, with our team and coaches incapable of improving anything.

But that's not the case though, is it? Form is temporary and it can end at the worst possible moment, while decent play can accelerate when you need it the most.

Let's take last season for example. The GOAT was suspended for 4 weeks, we traded our most talented LB, we lost our second best player for the year, our defense looked horrible against Seattle which was our 9-th game of the season and we still won the Super Bowl.

On the other hand we have our 2010 season: We ended the season on a 8-0 run, beating our last 5 opponents with a combined score of 214>47 including beating the Jets 45-3. One game later our season was over.

We have our 2007 season. We broke every record but we burned ourselves out and we weren't half the team in the playoffs. Our offense struggled mightily against the Chargers and the Giants.

Then we can take a look at 2015 at how injuries impact your season no matter how well you play. It was our 8-th game of the year, we were 7-0, we finally found a great running back, we were blowing teams up, and then Dion blew his ACL. Then Julian went down, Amendola followed and so did Gronk. Our offense collapsed and we lost to the Eagles at home and then we couldn't beat either the Jets or Miami and we lost the number 1 seed.

In spite of all that we were a disputable coaching call deciding not to kick twice in field goal range against Denver, from going to the Super Bowl. Or you could say a two point conversion, or a missed XP.

Every game is in a vacuum. What happened this week means almost nothing for the next. Unless you lose players. One tackle and the Packers season is over.

As long you win and stay healthy, adjustments can and will be made, confidence will rise, and you create yourself an opportunity for a better playoff positioning. That's all you can do. There are no guarantees. You can only take it one game at a time. And considering we're 4-1 since week 1 and we have sustained no significant injuries since Edelman went down, i'd say we have a lot to be thankful for.

Onto Atlanta!

Great thread!

I have faith this team will work the kinks out. We did it last year, we can do it again.

You know what I don't like. People finger-wagging fans who have legitimate gripes about the team's performance this year because they won the championship last year. The Pats are not above reproach because the beat Atlanta earlier this year. This 2017 team is not the 2016 team. And there are way more question marks this year than there were last.

That's what I find the most annoying.

You know what I don't like. People finger-wagging fans who have legitimate gripes about the team's performance this year because they won the championship last year. The Pats are not above reproach because the beat Atlanta earlier this year. This 2017 team is not the 2016 team. And there are way more question marks tGhis year than there were last.

I have to admit, this year's Patriots team is really puzzling....at times, they seem to alternate back and forth between being the 2009 rendition only to return to their usual form and look like champs again.

I think what makes the Patriots so inherently difficult to beat 1) Their quarterback 2) Their coaching staff and 3) the talent they have, particularly on offense

As long as these factors stay in place, the Patriots will always have a fighting chance to succeed.

My biggest worry is with the self-inflicted mistakes, penalties, and tendency to give up big-plays. 6 games into the season...and these problems continue to persist. Hopefully these will be corrected in time for next week and our road games against the Broncos, Steelers, and Raiders.

Also have to wonder whether this team is built to play 4 quarters of football

Evan Lazar posted a series of tweet showing some troubling trends for the Patriots in the 4th quarter

The most important number for now, is 4-2! Pats need to just correct these issues, or else they may come back to haunt the team in the playoffs *knock on wood*

You know what I don't like. People finger-wagging fans who have legitimate gripes about the team's performance this year because they won the championship last year. The Pats are not above reproach because the beat Atlanta earlier this year. This 2017 team is not the 2016 team. And there are way more question marks this year than there were last.

Problem is that there are rarely legitimate issues mentioned. Most of the stuff you get is the hawt taek brigade saying this and that sucks. Not going into any specifics or taking time to even put up a sound argument. There is no nuance in most points. After three drives it was already decided that the Pats D is a trainwreck because another team was able to score 14 points. It didnt matter that those early breakdowns were followed by three 3&outs and three forced turnovers because those early drives already happened.

And if you take the time to deconstruct those takes you dont even get a meaningful discussion out of it but stupid **** like player y is a JAG so he shouldnt be doing this to our defense. You can point out a hundred times how great e.g. McCowns throw on the move while A. Butler was was hunting him down from behind yesterday was but all of that has no validity because it was McCown who did it. If Brady throws the same pass people will start jerking off to that throw.

As every year people have no ****ing clue how hard winning in this league is and think that all games should be gimmies. No, the other team also consists of highly paid athletes and coaches that practice every ****ing day. And the gap between players in this league is considerably thinner than many realize.

If you have a legitimate point and express it somewhat in a non lazy manner you will have amazing discussions on this board.

but records is a function of performance on the field. And right now, our defense has been putting an abysmal show. The schedule is about to get a lot tougher. Falcons, @ Steelers, @Broncos, etc.

I think the major problem with the Pats this year, frankly, was the overly optimistic prediction that the team could go undefeated. While most reasonable fans, IMHO, dismissed this talk, it literally set up the team for "failure ". The result of the KC game was like a slap in the face to optimistic Pats fans. Lost in that lopsided defeat was the fact that, although the Pats did not look overpowering, they still had a small lead going into the 4th quarter. I think the combination of injuries to key personnel (Solder, Edelman, Rivers, McClellin) and others (Branch, Gilmore, Allen, Gillislee) not playing up to their expected potential put BB in a hole that he is starting to dig out of. Solder seems to be coming around, McClellin can begin practicing this week, and Branch and Gilmore are showing some progress. The one thing that still concerns me is how the Pats seem to run out of gas in the 4th quarter. In past seasons, that was when they normally played their best.

If the 4th quarter problem was just a "soft zone" defense, I would understand and accept it. However, the Pats' 4th quarter problems are both on offense and defense. When the Pats need a semi-sustained drive to close out an opponent, they are often coming up with a "three and out" scenario. That happened against the Jets yesterday. Conversely, when the defense needs to come out of its "soft zone" and make a key stop late in the game, they don't seem to be able to do that as consistently as they have in the past. The Jets game was an instance when the defense did the job when they had to.

If the 4th quarter problem was just a "soft zone" defense, I would understand and accept it. However, the Pats' 4th quarter problems are both on offense and defense. When the Pats need a semi-sustained drive to close out an opponent, they are often coming up with a "three and out" scenario. That happened against the Jets yesterday. Conversely, when the defense needs to come out of its "soft zone" and make a key stop late in the game, they don't seem to be able to do that as consistently as they have in the past. The Jets game was an instance when the defense did the job when they had to.

Right. The Pats aren't as good this year as they were last year.

What I find most annoying are those who ***** cry and quit on them after they have won five Super Bowls and almost 80% of their games with Brady and Belichick, especially when the exact same people did the exact same thing in 2014 and they went on O win the Super Bowl. Jesus I hate quitters and crybabies. The Patriots have earned our faith, it’s not like they actually deserve quitter crybaby ********.

What I find most annoying are those who ***** cry and quit on them after they have won five Super Bowls and almost 80% of their games with Brady and Belichick, especially when the exact same people did the exact same thing in 2014 and they went on O win the Super Bowl. Jesus I hate quitters and crybabies. The Patriots have earned our faith, it’s not like they actually deserve quitter crybaby ********.

Okay, let's say there's a restaurant you've been going to every week for a year. And every week you have a pleasant experience. Friendly waitstaff, good food, clean dishes, etc. Now two weeks in a row, the servers are rude, the food tastes off and you're given dirty utensils. Are you going to complain or are you going to say to yourself "Well, I wouldn't want to be a crybaby or quitter so I'll keep my mouth shut and endure this terrible experience."

I don't care if the Pats won the last 16 Super Bowls. We're talking about this year's team. And they're demonstrably not as good as last years' team. This is going to raise concern among the fanbase.

But he has a point. As do you.
A sane opinion, with concern or optimism is fine. But there is way too much extreme on both sides here.

Only time will tell.

I'll admit, while I was disheartened by a home loss to KC I was just 'meh' after that.

But the two game stretch against Houston and Carolina stung. They just looked bad. I adjusted my expectations and actually have been pleased with the last two games. This surprises me as I bet some would call me a pessimist.

Okay, let's say there's a restaurant you've been going to every week for a year. And every week you have a pleasant experience. Friendly waitstaff, good food, clean dishes, etc. Now two weeks in a row, the servers are rude, the food tastes off and you're given dirty utensils. Are you going to complain or are you going to say to yourself "Well, I wouldn't want to be a crybaby or quitter so I'll keep my mouth shut and endure this terrible experience."

I don't care if the Pats won the last 16 Super Bowls. We're talking about this year's team. And they're demonstrably not as good as last years' team. This is going to raise concern among the fanbase.

So you don’t go back to the restaurant, that’s your choice, you don’t stand outside it crying and ****ting on them. You made it clear two weeks ago that you had quit on them, so quit, stop your f.cking crying and *****ing. You don’t believe in this franchise, that’s your choice, imo they have earned our belief. So adios, have fun rooting for the Chiefs, or Eagles, or whoever else is in first place at the time.

So you don’t go back to the restaurant, that’s your choice, you don’t stand outside it crying and ****ting on them.

Sure you do. That's the whole reason why Yelp exists. And of course you'd tell your friends about it.

That is a terrible analogy. You are a customer of the restaurant, not a fan. Your restaurant isn't competing every week against another restaurant and usually winning.
If you get bad service at a restaurant, you have the opportunity to tell them, and require them to fix it or stop going there.
Do oyu really think that you are exercising a 'complaint to management' to make the team play better by grousing on a message board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back