PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On Deion Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
O.K., so I don't think Branch is going to hold out for long, if at all.

But, I know we are going to hear the Ron Borges of the world saying the Patriots are being unfair to Branch. They are going to say, the Pats are taking advantage of him.

I read this morning the the Patriots offered him $6M per season, and were turned down.

What am I missing here?

$6M a season for a WR that has never started in all 16 games, doesn't play in the preseason because he's too fragile, never has caught 100 balls in a season, or 90, or 80 for that matter.

He's never surpassed 1000 yards in a season. The most TDs he's ever caught in a season, is a grand total of 5.

I'm sorry, but $6M a year seems like a heck of an offer. If that offer is true, does anybody out there think the Pats are being cheap? I'm not getting this. Would love to hear back.

P.S. - Please, nobody say I'm bashing Branch, because I'm not. I think he's a tremendous receiver. I'm just stating the facts. Like Parcells use to say, it is what it is.

Bostonian1962 said:

But, I know we are going to hear the Ron Borges of the world saying the Patriots are being unfair to Branch. They are going to say, the Pats are taking advantage of him.

I read this morning the the Patriots offered him $6M per season, and were turned down.

What am I missing here?

$6M a season for a WR that has never started in all 16 games, doesn't play in the preseason because he's too fragile, never has caught 100 balls in a season, or 90, or 80 for that matter.

He's never surpassed 1000 yards in a season. The most TDs he's ever caught in a season, is a grand total of 5.

I'm sorry, but $6M a year seems like a heck of an offer. If that offer is true, does anybody out there think the Pats are being cheap? I'm not getting this. Would love to hear back.

P.S. - Please, nobody say I'm bashing Branch, because I'm not. I think he's a tremendous receiver. I'm just stating the facts. Like Parcells use to say, it is what it is.

Well if that figure is true I agree with you but maybe it has something to do with the length of the contract also.

Bostonian1962 said:

What am I missing here?

I am as baffled as you are...seems to me that 6MM is very fair. Maybe the bonus money or guarantee is lacking?

i'm stil waiting for someone to insult me by offering me $6mil.

I don't know where that figure came from. I was thinking a 4 year deal with an average cap hit of $4mil would have been fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
broadwayjoe said:
Well if that figure is true I agree with you but maybe it has something to do with the length of the contract also.
????

What number of years do you think $6 mil per year bcomes unfair?

$30 mil for five years?
$36 mil for six years?
$42 mil for 7 years?
$48 mil for eight years?

$120 mil for 20 years? "No man, they were disrespecting me. Wanted to tie me up for 20 years for a lousy eighth of a billion dollars."

spacecrime said:
????

$30 mil for five years?
$36 mil for six years?
$42 mil for 7 years?
$48 mil for eight years?

$120 mil for 20 years? "No man, they were disrespecting me. Wanted to tie me up for 20 years for a lousy eighth of a billion dollars."

I don't think the 6 million is unfair at all I think its a very good offer but some players do not like getting tied up to long term contracts like that especially when they are young thats all I'm saying.

Last edited:
broadwayjoe said:

The Pats supposedly offered a 3 year version and a 5 year version. Both of which were turned down flatly.

What are you talking about? Injury-prone player like Branch LOVE long term contracts. Young players who stay healthy, and still haven't reached their prime are the ones that don't like long term contracts (which shouldn't be an issue anyways because they can always hold-out).

Now that the rookie signings are all but done and with the Law going to KC you would hope we can button this thing up so everybody is happy. Whether or not he is a true number 1 he is our number 1 receiver and Bradys favorite. With the favorable schedule I would hope this thing becomes a nonissue soon and we can focus on the more important things like going for another Lombardi.

Bostonian1962 said:

What am I missing here?

Deion:

I think she's a good reciever too....
6 mil is enough-c'mon!

Get to work Deion!

is there anyone who can link to any article that says the Patriots have offered Branch 6 mill per???

patsox23 said:
is there anyone who can link to any article that says the Patriots have offered Branch 6 mill per???

The Wrong Bogus article from Sunday.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/07/23/receiver_is_getting_jammed/

WRONG BOGUS said:
What New England has offered Branch, according to a source within the organization, was either a five- or three-year deal that averages just over $6 million. Chayut says the average was more like $5.6 million a year.

IMHO, Whether its 5.6 Million or $6 Million it shouldn't matter. Branch hasn't proven himself to be in the same league as Reggie Wayne or Hines Ward. One game or One Season does not a career make.

Scouts has him tied for 13th ranked with:
Muhsin Muhammad
Joe Horn
Plaxico Burress

fulltiltnh said:
Scouts has him tied for 13th ranked with:
Muhsin Muhammad
Joe Horn
Plaxico Burress

yeah about 15-20 is about right.

According to Borges, Branch is agraid that the Patriots may come after him on his signing bonus ala Williamd or TO...doesn't know what he is going to do... (Borges today)

And here's Tomase's storu about Branch....

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

"Heard a good story today from someone who was standing on the field when the Patriots were eliminated from the playoffs last January in Denver. As the players trudged toward the locker room, one of them covered his face and cried uncontrollably. A few feet away, another laughed and joked around like the Pats had won. The first player was Deion Branch. The second player, who shall remain nameless, took one look at Branch and bowed his head, chastened.

It’s little scenes like this that are worth remembering as the Pats try to reach an agreement with their top wide receiver. Precious few guys actually fit the moniker of “Patriots kind of player,†but Branch is definitely one of them. Those who blithely say, “He’s just a receiver. Bill Belichick can replace a receiver,†should consider the whole picture. Branch brings more to the team than what he does on the field.

As that postgame scene illustrates, he gets it, and those kinds of players are rarer than you might think.?

And turning down 5.6 or 6 mill???? Os that what a Patriot player is????

spacecrime said:
????

$30 mil for five years?
$36 mil for six years?
$42 mil for 7 years?
$48 mil for eight years?

That cracks me up!:)

DaBruinz said:
The Wrong Bogus article from Sunday.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/07/23/receiver_is_getting_jammed/

IMHO, Whether its 5.6 Million or $6 Million it shouldn't matter. Branch hasn't proven himself to be in the same league as Reggie Wayne or Hines Ward. One game or One Season does not a career make.

Thanks DaBruins. It looks like the Pats have offered both a 3 and 5 year contract "at just over $6M" per season. Again, seems pretty darned fair.

Re: And here's Tomase's storu about Branch....

Pats726 said:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

"Heard a good story today from someone who was standing on the field when the Patriots were eliminated from the playoffs last January in Denver. As the players trudged toward the locker room, one of them covered his face and cried uncontrollably. A few feet away, another laughed and joked around like the Pats had won. The first player was Deion Branch. The second player, who shall remain nameless, took one look at Branch and bowed his head, chastened.

It’s little scenes like this that are worth remembering as the Pats try to reach an agreement with their top wide receiver. Precious few guys actually fit the moniker of “Patriots kind of player,†but Branch is definitely one of them. Those who blithely say, “He’s just a receiver. Bill Belichick can replace a receiver,†should consider the whole picture. Branch brings more to the team than what he does on the field.

As that postgame scene illustrates, he gets it, and those kinds of players are rarer than you might think.?

And turning down 5.6 or 6 mill???? Os that what a Patriot player is????

Good stuff Pats726. Let's all hope the team signs him soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News