PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OLBs from #28 on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't read Brooks Reed's name before but after watching a few clips of him, he's intriguing and I wonder if he's a real option in the second round for New England. But, if his stock is indeed on the raise, New England might want to strongly consider selecting him with Carolina's pick.

Because of that great depth at defensive end for the first round, the early portion of the second round will probably also be solid for that position. Christian Ballard (Iowa) and Allen Bailey (Miami-Fla.) are thought to be future starters at the next level, but are likely to fall into the second round.

It’s possible, according to several personnel sources, that we could see as many as 18 defensive linemen (11 ends, 7 tackles) and four hybrids (Miller, Ayers, Justin Houston-Georgia, Brooks Reed-Arizona) go off the board within the top-50 selections overall.

The bottom line is that if you’re a team in need of a pass rusher or an end to play in a 3-4, you’ll likely be able to get one of them within the first two rounds. But if you want an elite defensive end, you’re going to have to trade up, probably not down.

This year's Draft class is stocked with high quality D-lineman - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

I didn't even feel singed.

I don't think Klug ran at the Combine with his hamstring issue. NFL Draft Scout has splits up now and doesn't have any for Klug, which is why I believe he didn't run. I also don't recall hearing him discussed and Mayock raved about him at the Shrine Game so I'd expect some commentary.

Any OL/DL who breaks 20 reps on the bench I'm fine with, in Karl's case I've seen him bench press John Moffitt - I'm not worried about his strength. I watched several Iowa games this past season, based solely on my impressions (this is not based on physical data collection), offenses double-teamed Iowa's D-line with the following priority regardless of passing or running plays:
1. Klug
2. Daniels
3. Clayborn
4. Ballard
5. Binns
It seems a bit much to expect an already undersized DT to bull rush consistently against double-teams. As it was, his drawing the attention spoke volumes to me watching the game.

Karl is already explosive in the sense of combining quickness with strength, what I'm looking to do is improve his ability to cover 10 yards to the QB or change direction faster while in zone coverage or trying to track down a RB in space.

Consider the following timeline:
Sep. 2008 - He's Big 10 Defensive Player of the Week playing second string DT at a reported 235.
May 2009 - He's reported to be 255 and the most likely candidate to win the starting DT slot.
Nov. 2009 - All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (Coaches & Media).
Sep. 2010 - Listed at 270.
Dec. 2010 - All-Big Ten Second Team (Coaches & Media).

Klug's had the strength at LB weights to impact inside against Big 10 blockers. He got my attention in the Orange Bowl against Georgia Tech, they were unable to run inside because there'd be this pile-up of blockers in front of Klug. They were forced to pull their starting LG for a heavier kid which eventually wore Klug down by the fourth quarter where the bigger kid could single block him on the backside, they still were unable to move him. Last season Iowa's defense averaged just over 100 yards/game in rushing yards given up, and Klug was voted their Defensive MVP.

So, let's ask the Belichick question, what does he do well?
-- He stops the run. LOLB needs to be a run stopper.
-- He rushes the passer (5.5 sacks which isn't bad for an interior DL). OLB needs a pass rush, BB doesn't demand they be 10 sack guys.
-- He plays Special Teams.
-- He's a very hard worker recognized by his coaches and his team mates with team awards.
-- Team Captain.

Set him a goal of 260 if you don't like 255, that puts him at Vrabel weight. With Ty Warren back and Klug at OLB, teams will be working for every inch running to their right. Unless you are one of the folks advocating Cam Jordan for OLB, then there is no other kid in this draft class who can stop the run as effectively as Klug ... at least none I'm considering for 3-4 OLB in NE.

Iowa Bio page

Hmmm. I don't know Box, I'm not convinced. It seems we went through this with Dan Klecko and when he tried to play OLB, what we found out is that his instincts and COD skills were not that of a LB. Klug's pass rushing and run stuffing skills at Iowa aren't going to translate into a 8 or 9 technique, especially with his short arms. And let's not forget that an OLB is first and foremost still a Linebacker. That means he has to learn everything about the passing game and learn everything from a 2 point stance. I have not seen a ton of film on Klug, but based on what I've seen, there's nothing to lead me to believe he has LB-type instincts or skills to get through traffic.

I'll say this in your favor though. In a weak draft like this, there are probably worse way to spend a 7th round pick.

at pick #17 the pats could have a choice of
Aldon Smith,
Akeem Ayers,
Sam Acho,
Brooks Reed,
Ryan Kerrigan,
Justin Houston,

at pick #28 the pats could have a choice of
Justin Houston,
Brooks Reed,

lets hope BB Drafts a relly Good 3-4 DE that can make the OLB's on this roster better at #17 cause i dont see them Drafting any OLB's at lest not in the frist 3 rounds

Hmmm. I don't know Box, I'm not convinced. It seems we went through this with Dan Klecko and when he tried to play OLB, what we found out is that his instincts and COD skills were not that of a LB. Klug's pass rushing and run stuffing skills at Iowa aren't going to translate into a 8 or 9 technique, especially with his short arms. And let's not forget that an OLB is first and foremost still a Linebacker. That means he has to learn everything about the passing game and learn everything from a 2 point stance. I have not seen a ton of film on Klug, but based on what I've seen, there's nothing to lead me to believe he has LB-type instincts or skills to get through traffic.

I'll say this in your favor though. In a weak draft like this, there are probably worse way to spend a 7th round pick.
Instincts are another thing altogether; still, he has active hands and is credited with "Keeps eyes in the backfield, sheds to grab ballcarrier as he goes through the hole. Gets his hands into passing lanes when unable to reach the passer. Slides through traffic to the ball. Wraps up on most tackles, strong enough to throw ballcarrier backward to prevent first downs." I'm hard pressed to believe Bruschi has longer arms and was instinctive at LB in 1996 ... I projected him as a UDFA in the current draft game, slim him down, have him working on LB agility drills, put him in the film room with Ninko and TBC, or Pepper, who have gone through this transition or coached it, and let's see what happens.

D'Aundre Reed: Caught my eye at the Combine -- had a good-sized frame and looked impressively agile and athletic, if unpolished, running LB drills. D. Reed was the 3rd DE in a rotation at Arizona headed by Brooks Reed and Ricky Elmore, and was reportedly the best run stopper of the group. I went back and looked for him in pass-rushing highlights of the the other 2, and liked what I saw. (My grade: 6th.)
[/QUOTE]

I am def. NOT a draft expert, but I'm highlighting D'Aundre Reed because I found it very interesting that in reading excerpts from and interview with potential top tackle prospect Tyron Smith, he was asked which player was the toughest match up for him from a pass rush perspective.....His choice was D'Aundre Reed.

For a potential 3rd day draft pick, he's pretty interesting.

As for my gut instinct? I think Sam Acho will be a Patriot after the draft. Small stature, but his intangibles are off the charts, and his production was solid. Add in the Will Mushcamp factor, and I just feel he'd be a good fit.

Last edited:
Instincts are another thing altogether; still, he has active hands and is credited with "Keeps eyes in the backfield, sheds to grab ballcarrier as he goes through the hole. Gets his hands into passing lanes when unable to reach the passer. Slides through traffic to the ball. Wraps up on most tackles, strong enough to throw ballcarrier backward to prevent first downs." I'm hard pressed to believe Bruschi has longer arms and was instinctive at LB in 1996 ... I projected him as a UDFA in the current draft game, slim him down, have him working on LB agility drills, put him in the film room with Ninko and TBC, or Pepper, who have gone through this transition or coached it, and let's see what happens.

Yes, Bruschi. He played ILB of course, so arm length is less important. He also had 40 more sacks than Klug. And, of course, with the benefit of hindsight Bruschi would have been a much higher pick. I think that Tedy is more of an exception than the norm when it comes to converting DL to LB.

No question, as a UDFA, I welcome him or anybody else. I happen to think that this draft is rather poor, so from the 5th or 6th round on, you're talking about drafting players with a UDFA grade anyway.

First of all I didn't BLAST Box at all. I said I really value his opinion but I can't believe he thinks Klug could become the best LOLB in this class if he loses 20 pounds and gains explosiveness. I just don't see him being capable of becoming athletic and agile enough to play in the open field. I also doubt he can lose that much weight. Ive also read hes not powerful enough to bull rush or quick enough to get around the edge. He only had 22 bench press reps which isnt great either.

I will be very interested to see his 3 cone and shuttle. He only ran a 4.79 at the combine which isnt fast for a 3-4 OLB. I would say its average at the position. I really wouldnt mind picking him and trying to develop him but I just don't think he has that high a ceiling to be the top LOLB in the draft. Thats all I was saying.

So, calling him "delusional" isn't blasting him???

As for strength, that can be improved upon.. But also look at the other guys people are talking about. Quinn, Bowers, Smith, Mathews, Winterswyk. They all put up 22 or less on the bench. Watt and Kerrigan seem to be the exceptions, not the norm, with their 34 and 30 respectively.

at pick #17 the pats could have a choice of
Aldon Smith,
Akeem Ayers,
Sam Acho,
Brooks Reed,
Ryan Kerrigan,
Justin Houston,

at pick #28 the pats could have a choice of
Justin Houston,
Brooks Reed

Normally, I'd keep the door open for most draft possibilities...however, I'd slam it shut for Acho as a #17 option. :) Currently, he's a round two projection, maybe even top 50. Therefore, #33 is an option for him -- and ANY top 50 prospect. IF he's one of the risers, than #28 would be an option. I just don't see him there yet IMHO.

I think the Pats should do what they did with the TE position last year -- throw numbers at the problem. Would love to see something like Aldon Smith in the first and Greg Romeus in the third or fourth. It's not like they don't need two athletes at that position. They're the perfect team to take a flier on Romeus; they have excess picks, need at the position, and they can wait if he takes a little extra time to get over his injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes