PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OK, how would you try and stop the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned by several posters in this thread the Colts came the closest to stopping Brady. What I would do different from that is to put more rush pressure up the middle as opposed to the sides. Make Brady keep his feet moving and do not under any circumstances let him step forward to pass ... he's deadly when stepping forward to pass.

At the very least this makes Brady move to one side or the other cutting the field in half ... I still don't think it works due to the level Brady is playing. But nobody forces him to the side. As a side note ... that's how we used to beat Manning ... simply flushing him and getting him to move from the pocket and not letting him set his feet.

Good observation. But as you said, it won't work well enough to win. Note Brady moving out and around to his left on the long TD to Moss. The guy senses the pressure amd moves 5 yds to avoid it. Uncanny. But that's why he's a HOF LOCK.

On defense: The only solution is man coverage and pressuring Brady. Period. Problem is, no one can match up. Colts and Cowboys have come closest to making it work so far.

I am not sure if pressuring Brady would work. One of Brady's early strengths was getting rid of the ball fast. He was pretty much three steps and throw. I recall Bledsoe was getting killed by the same O line since he would hold on to the ball. The teams that did this against Brady were pretty much toast

I think you have to take away his WR's. This is what happened in 2002 when he had his worst slump. Teams were taking away their tiny WR's at the time preventing the short pass.

Although he does well with the long ball, I do not think it comes natrually to him. He actually struggled with this as recently as 2004. It was also a weakness last year with a poor WR group. I think a much improved OL and better receivers have helped him with this.

Lame huh? Ok Einstein. Tell me what the pats do if faulk is hurt , maroney is banged up and its snowing like a bastard vs the colts?

If you dont think we have a slight concern with the run game you are to much of a homer to see why anyway. The pats running game is one injury away from being ultra thin. Maroney has proven to be inconsistant and injury prone this year. If faulk goes down there are issues.

Thank you for the complement, but I'm really not as smart as Einstein.

Tell me what ANY team would do if their top 2 RBs were injured.
So, your argument would then be that we should be concerned about our running game, because every team should be concerned about their running game. Even the ones that don't have the best passing game in NFL history?

But, hark, you have now changed your argument. First our running game is a concern because we really aren't a good running team despite our 5th in the NFL ranking, because it was all in garbage time. That LAME answer didn't even draw a response, you immediately switched to the concern that we would be in trouble if everyone at the position was injured.

OK, I am now terribly concerned about the QB position, because if Brady, Cassel and Gutierrez all get injured I don't know who would be playing against the Colts in the snow. Quick, get David Greene back on that damn practice squad so I can sleep tonight.

I am not sure if pressuring Brady would work. One of Brady's early strengths was getting rid of the ball fast. He was pretty much three steps and throw. I recall Bledsoe was getting killed by the same O line since he would hold on to the ball. The teams that did this against Brady were pretty much toast

I think you have to take away his WR's. This is what happened in 2002 when he had his worst slump. Teams were taking away their tiny WR's at the time preventing the short pass.

Although he does well with the long ball, I do not think it comes natrually to him. He actually struggled with this as recently as 2004. It was also a weakness last year with a poor WR group. I think a much improved OL and better receivers have helped him with this.

I dont think the idea is pressuring Brady. I dont think anyone is saying blitz him, because he wont carve it up.
I think what people are saying is GET TO HIM. Of course you can stop any offense if you are getting to the QB. The question is how do you get to Brady BEFORE he has already read the blitz and gotten rid of the ball to a receiver in man coverage. Also how do you blitz and actually get to him anyway.
Our OL has given up 10 sacks in 10 games, and Ive heard at least 2-3 commentators this week call it the best pass blocking OL they have ever seen. (Yet there are people in this thread criticizing Matt Light and Nick Kaczur, go figure).

I dont think there is a STRATEGY to beat Brady, but a RESULT that no one knows how to achieve.

Send as many players as I could at brady on every snap and hope to fluster him enough to make a few bad plays during the game. Of course, brady will get his numbers with these receivers, but if he is under pressure, maybe he throws a bad pick or two.

IMHO, you can't give brady any time to throw.

I dont think the idea is pressuring Brady. I dont think anyone is saying blitz him, because he wont carve it up.
I think what people are saying is GET TO HIM. Of course you can stop any offense if you are getting to the QB. The question is how do you get to Brady BEFORE he has already read the blitz and gotten rid of the ball to a receiver in man coverage. Also how do you blitz and actually get to him anyway.
Our OL has given up 10 sacks in 10 games, and Ive heard at least 2-3 commentators this week call it the best pass blocking OL they have ever seen. (Yet there are people in this thread criticizing Matt Light and Nick Kaczur, go figure).

I dont think there is a STRATEGY to beat Brady, but a RESULT that no one knows how to achieve.

Good points.

The more I think about it, taking his WR's out of the game is probably the best way to get to him. Look at last year with the sorry group of receivers we had. Although he did not stink out the joint, he showed signs of being mortal. I recall we were talking about his body language last season.

This year's WR group has helped Brady go from great to out of this world. Barring any injuries, I can not see any team doing this.

I don't think there is a "one-size-fits-all" solution to defending the Pats' offense. I do think there are guidelines to follow though:

1) Keep your best players on the field

The Pats throw formations out that are designed to get you into alignments (mostly nickel/dime) that aren't optimal for you. If you have to put your 5th and 6th DBs in the game, you obviously have to sit someone (likely a LB or 2) down. Keep your weaker players on the sidelines unless down/distance makes it the right call to bring them in.

2) Do what you do best

You have been practicing a defensive scheme since April. It is unlikely you are going to devise something new at this point and be effective with it. If you are Philly, you should blitz and stay with it. Same for cover-2, zone blitz, press man, whatever.

3) Assume perfect execution on defense

To beat the Pats, your defense is going to have to play out of their heads. If they don't, nothing else is going to matter. So don't be conservative and try to protect players or areas of the field. Challenge your guys and assume they will step up. Instead of doubling players that aren't being targeted or defending areas of the field that aren't being attacked, this frees up defenders to do what they do best (apply pressure, jump routes, etc).

The overall theme is that if you are going to take on a superior force, at least go down fighting and take your best shot...on your terms, not theirs.

Force them to take Mangini back.

I'd agreewith Andy or Ken (I sure don't know as much about pass defense), but if the pats were forced to throw short inside, I would gamble every couple times. Drop a safety or corner to jump routes and worry about tackling later.

Even if it causes a receiver to go free long, what is there to lose? Slowing the team down is no good if we still score, which we will. 20 point win instead of a 40? A couple early interceptions can really open up defensive options and allow offenses to control tempo.

Well, I am soo glad that someone finally axed me!

First, or fust, I would use like lazers.

Then, some of those really hurty kind of bear traps. (the kinds wif big teethies. :) )

then,

Well I would get some green jello, and I would rub it all over that klecko man, and then well I would give him some ex and let the turbine spin!

Then, I would wake up. Brush myself off and look at some old episodes of like mayberry or something.

But, in my mind, I would win every time!

Danny88 -
What happened? You get present with facts so you can help your cause and you clam up... Or did you realize that the facts really weren't supporting you so you decided to not respond?

Madden was correct....

if u can consistently get to brady with a 4 man rush, then ur good...

ONLY the colts have been able to do that, and that was the close game...

NO other team can do it, and neither cna the colts anymore, b/c freeney is out

man coverage? Moss will reap u appart, there is NO cb capable of taking Moss man-to-man, though i think it was the Jets rookie CB who did a pretty good job...

Stopping the pats from the defensive side of the ball would be a great challenge. Let's assume for argument's sake that you have personell capable of executing the following gameplan. In my mind, this is how I would go about stopping the patriots...borrowing signifigantly from BB's 2003 and 2004 playoff colts schemes.

1) Prevent Brady from identifying the Mike and Free Safety at the LOS. This will negate his two pre-snap reads and hinder his ability to make checks.
2) Have a zone-based scheme that emphasizes bracketing Moss. I would play three safeties over the top...one ballhawk type guy shaded to Moss' side, one guy who can matchup on Welker in the slot if needed, and another who can play the or cover the tight end. These safeties will not give any pre-snap tells to prevent pre-snap reads.
3) Jam the living hell out of the recievers and pass them off to the second level. The zones will be disguised, with the emphasis on a mix of cover-2 and cover-8. The corners will be responsible for applying a strong enough press to allow the linebackers to either play run or get after the QB. Once the recievers defeat the initial jams, they will settle into zones covering the intermediate routes. The strong safety will be sunk in anticipating the slant routes.
4) Play a 2-4 front, and never allow the line to anticipate where the rush is going to come from. Play your will at mike, your mike at sam, your inside at will...keep confusing the line and quarterback and prevent them from making pre-snap adjustments. Blitz early and often, loop, stunt, crash, drop linemen, do everything you can to stay ahead of in game adjustments.
5) Anticipate screens and draws. Be aware of the situational tendencies. Keep in mind where and when the pats will run bubble screens and pop passes. Set the offense up to run the screens and draws when you want them to through relentless pass rush. Keep backers aware of rush-offsetting plays.
6) Understand how the patriots gameplan. Deviate from your tendencies. Become enigmatic and defy your conventional logic. Anticipate how they will gameplan you through self-awareness. Gameplan for their adjustments accordingly.

Last edited:
Stopping the pats from the defensive side of the ball would be a great challenge. Let's assume for argument's sake that you have personell capable of executing the following gameplan. In my mind, this is how I would go about stopping the patriots...borrowing signifigantly from BB's 2003 and 2004 playoff colts schemes.

1) Prevent Brady from identifying the Mike and Free Safety at the LOS. This will negate his two pre-snap reads and hinder his ability to make checks.
2) Have a zone-based scheme that emphasizes bracketing Moss. I would play three safeties over the top...one ballhawk type guy shaded to Moss' side, one guy who can matchup on Welker in the slot if needed, and another who can play the or cover the tight end. These safeties will not give any pre-snap tells to prevent pre-snap reads.
3) Jam the living hell out of the recievers and pass them off to the second level. The zones will be disguised, with the emphasis on a mix of cover-2 and cover-8. The corners will be responsible for applying a strong enough press to allow the linebackers to either play run or get after the QB. Once the recievers defeat the initial jams, they will settle into zones covering the intermediate routes. The strong safety will be sunk in anticipating the slant routes.
4) Play a 2-4 front, and never allow the line to anticipate where the rush is going to come from. Play your will at mike, your mike at sam, your inside at will...keep confusing the line and quarterback and prevent them from making pre-snap adjustments. Blitz early and often, loop, stunt, crash, drop linemen, do everything you can to stay ahead of in game adjustments.
5) Anticipate screens and draws. Be aware of the situational tendencies. Keep in mind where and when the pats will run bubble screens and pop passes. Set the offense up to run the screens and draws when you want them to through relentless pass rush. Keep backers aware of rush-offsetting plays.
6) Understand how the patriots gameplan. Deviate from your tendencies. Become enigmatic and defy your conventional logic. Anticipate how they will gameplan you through self-awareness. Gameplan for their adjustments accordingly.

S^it, I was just going to suggest lazer beams and tnt. This sounds better though.

S^it, I was just going to suggest lazer beams and tnt. This sounds better though.

HA, also sounds more impossible then lazer beams and tnt

HA, also sounds more impossible then lazer beams and tnt

haha, whatever dude. Sorry you're not smart enough to understand the scheme. Aren't there some radiators you should be working on, ******? Mentally lacking Micropterus Salimoides....

Last edited:
It's simple!! Yet it's not!!
You have to put constant pressure on Tom Brady FOR THE ENTIRE GAME.
The Colts did for 3 quarters but not 4 quarters and lost the game in the last 10 minutes because they couldn't touch Brady coming down the stretch.
The only way you beat the Patriots is to force them into mistakes and the only way they're forced into mistakes is by pressuring Brady.
Simple answer! VERY HARD to execute!:D

Last edited:
What was it about the depth Indy played their Mike that gave the Pats trouble? Was this an issue of disguising, or did it take away particular plays we rely on? What was the adjustment we made to counter this?

Most of those stats are garbage time running stats. Or when we are up by a large margin. It should concern you. This team has not ran the ball as the main offensive focus at all. Which is fine. We should stick with what is working.

When the weather gets bad we will see how it goes.

Mostly I agree. The one thing I did see was that we could run the ball with Sammy at any point in the game, unless my memory is being selective. Or unless it was just against Miami.

But also, every team gets running yards in various situations. You either rank well or you don't. The team ranks pretty well.

The thing is that you can't have it both ways. If you were the type to criticize them for failing to pound it late against the Bills, you can't turn around 180 degrees and criticize them for being successful. The facts are easy to figure out: They pounded it when they needed to pound it, and the Bills still couldn't stop them. They pounded it with second string guys too.

Things could be worse, Danny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back