PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Pats-Packers Preseason Game Reaction Thread

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Just re-watched Boutte’s TD. Very impressive acceleration. Seems he will be a threat to break it any time he catches the ball. He mayve benefitted from catching the defense off guard, but if that’s really a factor it means the defense must always take him into consideration. Isn’t that the definition of a true #1 WR?

Just re-watched Boutte’s TD. Very impressive acceleration. Seems he will be a threat to break it any time he catches the ball. He mayve benefitted from catching the defense off guard, but if that’s really a factor it means the defense must always take him into consideration. Isn’t that the definition of a true #1 WR?

corner took the wrong angle...second string mistake....Boutte needs more first team reps against 1st team corners...but I SEE his talent clearly...unlike Sighquan's

It looks like the Patriots got two steals on WR’s at the end of the draft. I’m hoping Boutte plays himself onto the 53……I don’t think he will make it the PS once other teams see he healed up and has his burst back.

I’m expecting a WR to go on IR designated to return in the next couple of weeks with some soft tissue injury.

It looks like the Patriots got two steals on WR’s at the end of the draft. I’m hoping Boutte plays himself onto the 53……I don’t think he will make it the PS once other teams see he healed up and has his burst back.

I’m expecting a WR to go on IR designated to return in the next couple of weeks with some soft tissue injury.
I agree I’m worried that neither DD nor KB will make it to the PS.

If a player is placed on IR before the cutdowns, they’re out for the season without an injury settlement and release.

I agree I’m worried that neither DD nor KB will make it to the PS.

If a player is placed on IR before the cutdowns, they’re out for the season without an injury settlement and release.
Agreed. Both KB and KB need to be on the roster, along with DD and TT. Plus Parker and Juju that means carrying 6 WRs. Seems that’s the likely solution.

Big, big time throw from Zappe right here. Ball is on time, in rhythm, with anticipation, into a tight window; trusts both his arm and his receiver, because if either the throw or the route is lacking, that's highly likely to be an INT, and quite possibly a pick-6. Throws a nice, crisp, sharp ball, especially on the short/intermediate stuff; "snaps" the ball, gets there quickly and with zip.

Last edited:
Jones won't last very long at QB if he does not even bother to look towards the edges. Some defensive player is going to clock him and send him for a nap.

Mark Sanchez type oblivious.

Booty is much more filled out than I expected.

Besides the injury, it was a pretty decent game with highs and lows. Guys get beat and I get it but Steuber's effort to recover the fumble was one of the worst things I've seen in 10+ years. He was the first to see the ball and looked at it as if it was a radioactive hot potato.

Just catching up on the highlights now , that catch by Boutte was pretty good.

Hope Bolden is ok.

I started watching the game after the first TD.

I thought the O-line was god awful, Both Steuber and Sow got turnstyled. IF either one of them has to play, the Pats are in serious trouble. Stephenson looked great, I thought both QBs made some throws that you couldn't even tell where they were trying to throw to. Mac missed a wide open Henry up the seam. Zappe made a couple of throws to no one.

Uche failed to set the edge on back to back plays. I didn't see any pass rush from the Pats either.

I think GB is going to be bad this year, so its not like they were going up against a juggernaut.

I'm still convinced that Mac doesn't have "it" and Zappe isn't the savior either. Mac's pocket non-awareness is brutal.

I think Boutte is a keeper, Nixon looked like he got hurt bad last night, so that will help open up a roster spot for Boutte. Did Thorton even play, or is he on IR already?

I thought Zappe looked awful, just holding the ball way too long, indecisive in the pocket, happy feet, just a far cry from the see it, throw it player he was when getting playing time last year, which may have a lot to do with an opened up playbook and more responsibilities in terms of progressions, setting protections and calling plays.

Didn't think Mac was impressive either, I'm honestly a bit stunned at the positive reception to his performance. Not that he was bad, he was okay, but he missed Henry down the seam, he missed Parker deep and missed him on the called PI in the end zone that set up the TD (awful placement on the fade) and I'm sorry, if they are going to go five wide a ton and put him in shotgun with a lot of leeway in terms of changing the play and making adjustments at the line, he'll have to be his best pass protector. It's just the reality of playing that sort of game, guys will rush free and it'll take one loss by the OL for the pass rush to be on you. Or he'll have to make a ton of big plays to make up for sacks if he's willing to hold the ball, as Burrow does in a similar type of offense, at least formationally. It's why I thought the ball to Douglas in space was his best play. Recognize where they vacated to rush, get the ball there quickly, first down.

Besides the injury, it was a pretty decent game with highs and lows. Guys get beat and I get it but Steuber's effort to recover the fumble was one of the worst things I've seen in 10+ years. He was the first to see the ball and looked at it as if it was a radioactive hot potato.

You can bet that today BB is going to replay that sequence ten times over and in slow motion, in front of the whole team.

You can almost hear his play-by-play voice: "I can just go right down to Foxboro High and grab the oldest teacher I can find there and they would jump on that ball faster."

Steuber is a dead man walking

There is no way they are cutting Boutte now. He's shown too much to let go. Tyquan will go to IR to start the year

I'm glad to read here that Sow looked good to some. Reading Bedard this morning, I got a different view than that.
And the same with Taylor. If that kid can make the jump to shining in games, then the three headed backfield looks good.

I thought Zappe looked awful, just holding the ball way too long, indecisive in the pocket, happy feet, just a far cry from the see it, throw it player he was when getting playing time last year, which may have a lot to do with an opened up playbook and more responsibilities in terms of progressions, setting protections and calling plays.
Zappe made a few nice throws but could have done without the hospital ball into triple coverage that knocked Tre Nixon out of the game.

Last edited:
Douglas will be competing with Juju for slot snaps week 1 & Boutte is Bourne’s backup at Z WR. Boutte made the team with the speed he showed on his touchdown last night.

The playcalling was encouraging yesterday. Bourne RPOs, quick out routes to WRs & Mac changing the play at the LOS on the big Stevenson run. I’m optimistic they play more like 2021 as long as the OL is healthy IMO.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back