PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 Week 2: Thursday Night Thread - Vikings at Eagles

I disagree. Players already get let off the hook a LOT for fumbling, either because it happens to bounce right back to a teammate, or it goes out of bounds before the other team can grab it. All they have to do is get the ball one Planck Length over the outer edge of goal line and they're automatically awarded a touchdown. They can hang on to the ball if they don't want to lose possession, and the current rule is in line with every other rule associated with change of possession and touchbacks, such as fumbling back through your own end zone becoming a safety.
I think what people forget is that the back of the end zone is also out of bounds.

So if a defensive player punches the ball out and it goes through the back of then end zone that is also a turnover and touchback. And honestly in that case I would say that IS the "right" result. Why should the offense benefit for fumbling near the goal line instead of at the 50 yard line?

So really you would want to change it to fumble out the side of the end zone = offense gets on the 1 yard, fumble out the back = turnover. But what about if it goes out of bounds through the corner?

I would say keep the rule how it is. It is simpler and consistent in general with how the end zone is treated. The end zone is special, so why shouldn't fumbles through be different?

It's basically the same as any rule in relation to the end zone though. The consequence is always worse. Get sacked at mid-field? You lose a down and some yards. Get sacked in your own end zone? You lose possession entirely AND the other team gets points. Hold at the 20? Lose 10 yards. Hold in the endzone? Safety. It's consistent.
What is next? Should we award "participation" points if the offense gets stopped at the 5 yard line?

As we used to day in my home town, you stepped in ****!
Not so fast my friend the hook is either glory or death...today sir I have glory!

I agree with the post above by @upstater, I don’t think it should have been ruled a catch. I guess they ruled it was a catch and ruled he lost control before breaking the plane with it.

Personally I don’t mind the touchback rule but don’t like how much it favors the defense. I understand the genesis of the “Holy Roller” rule but I think that if someone fumbles from outside the end zone and it is recovered in the end zone by a teammate or themself it should be a TD and should not be reverted to the spot of the fumble. Having it that way takes away a little of the advantage to the defense in all this.

Why do the Vikings still have Kirk Cousins on the team? Their best team was his first year there and now their roster continues to get worse by the year.

Why do the Vikings still have Kirk Cousins on the team? Their best team was his first year there and now their roster continues to get worse by the year.
Isn't his salary guaranteed? If they got rid of him, they'd have to pay the next QB on top of his salary. Moreover, they're stuck in that place where their QB is good enough but never good enough to make a solid playoff run.

Isn't his salary guaranteed? If they got rid of him, they'd have to pay the next QB on top of his salary. Moreover, they're stuck in that place where their QB is good enough but never good enough to make a solid playoff run.
This is the last year as he becomes a FA after 2023. The Vikings will still pay for fake (void) years they added to the contract with them eating $28M in dead cap.

This is the last year as he becomes a FA after 2023. The Vikings will still pay for fake (void) years they added to the contract with them eating $28M in dead cap.

I imagine they'll probably resign him. Look what letting him go did for the Cobra Commanders.

They're pretty tough behind a keyboard but I'd bet anything they wouldn't say something like that to his face. It's a shame people like that even exist.
I've been dealing with it since the internet began. Not that viciously, though!

I'm not excusing it but if you know Twitter/X, this is normal stuff. These type of responses are so incredibly common for stuff that is only marginally related to race or politics or anything really. I could be talking about a film or a movie, and a bunch of these twits pile into the posts with this stuff. This is why the platform has lost all its advertising.
I dropped Twitter as soon as they announced the end of Blue Check marks for public people. When I joined, someone there actually contacted me to tell me to get a Blue Check mark (then gave it to me) because I'd be impersonated or constantly questioned regarding identity.
I miss it for certain things, but never looked back (to the dismay of the marketing departments of the companies hiring me).

This is one of the worst rules in football. It should have been changed by now.

It really is horrible. I know we had one in Denver help us (in '05 Watson's rundown?) but it's so extremely punishing.
Why isn't just like a fumble out of bounds? And maybe add a 15 yd penalty. So, ball goes on the 15yd line instead of the 1" line or something.
But complete loss of possession seems weird. I think it's different than it being a QB or Punter possessing the ball in your own EZ and going out. The Saftey rules are fine. This is different.

It really is horrible. I know we had one in Denver help us (in '05 Watson's rundown?) but it's so extremely punishing.
Why isn't just like a fumble out of bounds? And maybe add a 15 yd penalty. So, ball goes on the 15yd line instead of the 1" line or something.
But complete loss of possession seems weird. I think it's different than it being a QB or Punter possessing the ball in your own EZ and going out. The Saftey rules are fine. This is different.

No, it didn't help us. It was ruled against us. Still makes me angry (well, mildly annoyed) to this day.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back