PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Patriots vs Eagles Post Pre-Season Game Thread

Re: Official Patriots vs Eagles Post Game Thread

I think u are spot on here...ill add one more WAY down...C Luke Patterson #65 (at leadt I believe that was the guy and number....will double check when I re-watch later) This guy got blown up or burned Constantly!! And couldn't agree more on gost...prob too late to do anything this year...but he needs to go next year!

QUOTE=TriplecHamp;3510074]3 up:
1) Kenbrell Thompkins (Good separation and looked the ball in, might as well have been a TC practice for him because he played just as the reports indicated)
2) Lagarette Blount/Stevan Ridley (Ridley hit the hole hard and fast, he's still running a little high but thats something were going to have to live with, Blount had a game that I don't think he'll be able to replicate but he was tough to bring down which is consistent with the his scouting reports.)
3) Starting offensive line (especially the run blocking)

3 down:
1) Logan Ryan (looked terrible)
2) Steve Gregory/Tavon Wilson (making the same mistakes)
3) Gostowski (Inconsistent on kickoffs and just as shaky on FG attempts)[/QUOTE]

Dobson dropped an easy catch inside the 10 from Mallett.
If by easy you mean almost impossible to catch because the throw was whipped behind him, sure.

From my perspective:

Impressive:

The starting OL (although the Iglles D looked poor)

Svitek. If he can play at RG as well as that, he's a lock for the roster.

The Running Backs. Have to think Blount has to be favourite ahead of Bolden (although special teams?). My guy Winn got very little opportunity so is obvioulsy a big long shot to make the team.

I thought the receivers did OK but not great. Dobson clearly struggles to separate, Boyce was wide open on the missed TD but didn't seem to do much else and Thompkins looked the pick of the rookie bunch.

I wanted Studfeld to be studlier but he looked pretty good as a blocker and in his ability to get open. Nice run after the catch too.

Buchanan/Benard - I thought they did pretty well. Buchanan in particular stood out as someone who challenged his RT every time he rushed. His length was really noticeable. I like the potential of these two over Cunningham/Bequette/Francis.

Duron Harmon - Bit of a homer post here because I really like him, but I thought he did well. Showed good range on a couple of sideline passes, tackled well and seemed to be in position most of the time. For all the grief this pick got, I think he's the third best safety on the team after A Wilson and McCourty.

Unimpressive:

Tebow - I'm not giving up on him in that there were some good things but anything that he does well will be for naught if he can't learn to get the ball out quicker. He will never be a decent QB until that happens. Still think he should bite the bullet and be a stud HB/FB.

Interior pass rush - Not a disaster because Kelly showed well and Vince is Vince so we're covered at the front end, but where was everyone else.

Tavon/Gregory - Was really unimpressed with Wilson and as far as I'm concerned he's the 5th best safety we've got right now. Gregory messed up on the Jackson TD.

Mallett - Just has no touch to his passes. Rarely threw a receiver in stride.

That's my initial thoughts from just one viewing.

I didn't see Tebow play, but from what ive read it astounds me that he could have gotten the Broncos into the playoffs. He was so bad last year that even Sanchize was better than him (and sanchize sucks) But i thought 's the jests so that explains it, but after seeing some of his passes hes just horrible.

Comment on Collins. I watched him play a few downs, he looked explosive and fast now he has to harness his physical ability and channel it.

1) Brady looked like a boss out there. He looked like... Tom Brady.

2) Losses in receiving corps personnel does not look like it will be an issue. Kenbrell Thompkins looked good, especially. I thought it would have been Amendola who would steal the show. But it's a small sample size, so...

3) Ridley looked great.

4) I TOLD YOU ALL in another thread that LeGarrette Blount got mad skillz yo.

5) Mallett... meh.

6) My boy Tebow, and it pains me to say this... did not have a good performance at all. Had a couple of nice runs and throws, but overall he looked raw and I wanted to yank him for the 4th string QB. Wait, wut? I think he'll look much better with more time in the offense / coaching.

From my perspective:

Impressive:

The starting OL (although the Iglles D looked poor)

Svitek. If he can play at RG as well as that, he's a lock for the roster.

The Running Backs. Have to think Blount has to be favourite ahead of Bolden (although special teams?). My guy Winn got very little opportunity so is obvioulsy a big long shot to make the team.

I thought the receivers did OK but not great. Dobson clearly struggles to separate, Boyce was wide open on the missed TD but didn't seem to do much else and Thompkins looked the pick of the rookie bunch.

I wanted Studfeld to be studlier but he looked pretty good as a blocker and in his ability to get open. Nice run after the catch too.

Buchanan/Benard - I thought they did pretty well. Buchanan in particular stood out as someone who challenged his RT every time he rushed. His length was really noticeable. I like the potential of these two over Cunningham/Bequette/Francis.

Duron Harmon - Bit of a homer post here because I really like him, but I thought he did well. Showed good range on a couple of sideline passes, tackled well and seemed to be in position most of the time. For all the grief this pick got, I think he's the third best safety on the team after A Wilson and McCourty.

Unimpressive:

Tebow - I'm not giving up on him in that there were some good things but anything that he does well will be for naught if he can't learn to get the ball out quicker. He will never be a decent QB until that happens. Still think he should bite the bullet and be a stud HB/FB.

Interior pass rush - Not a disaster because Kelly showed well and Vince is Vince so we're covered at the front end, but where was everyone else.

Tavon/Gregory - Was really unimpressed with Wilson and as far as I'm concerned he's the 5th best safety we've got right now. Gregory messed up on the Jackson TD.

Mallett - Just has no touch to his passes. Rarely threw a receiver in stride.

That's my initial thoughts from just one viewing.

Manx, what are your current views on the secondary?

(I have (finally and reluctantly) written off Dowling. Players can have bad luck with injuries but yet another off-season, non-contact injury and I can only think there's something deeper -- lack of proper diet, the wrong kind of training and preparation or some basic physical problem.)

1) Brady looked like a boss out there. He looked like... Tom Brady.

2) Losses in receiving corps personnel does not look like it will be an issue. Kenbrell Thompkins looked good, especially. I thought it would have been Amendola who would steal the show. But it's a small sample size, so...

3) Ridley looked great.

4) I TOLD YOU ALL in another thread that LeGarrette Blount got mad skillz yo.

5) Mallett... meh.

6) My boy Tebow, and it pains me to say this... did not have a good performance at all. Had a couple of nice runs and throws, but overall he looked raw and I wanted to yank him for the 4th string QB. Wait, wut? I think he'll look much better with more time in the offense / coaching.

The Tebow thing confuses me, as they are running this offense suited to him in this game, but in a real game do you expect to them to switch offenses in the middle of a game???

Our O line is predicated and built on this offense, can you carry enough additional bodies to go back and forth.. Mankins comes to mind, would he fit the Tebow offense?? Or would you need to substitute??

I do not see this, either he fits into this offense or he will not fit at all...

I'm giving Tebow a mulligan here.

For one thing, he hasn't had the reps in TC that Brady & Mallett have had, and in addition, although he a very smart guy, he's had to sit down and learn ALL of a very complicated playbook, along with a terminology he's not familiar with. He'll get better, I am certain, and be a contributor on this team. I honestly can't see him NOT making the 53.

With all the haters hating on the kid, I am reminded of just 5 years back at this stage of the season. After one game, and through all of the pre-season people wanted Matt Cassel cut. The common thread on him was that he was terrible, would never amount to anything in the NFL, couldn't throw, wasn't accurate, etc. A LOT of folks wanted him gone and were screaming bloody murder when he was kept.

Surprise surprise, eh? Brady goes down for the season in game 1, and Matt Cassel takes the team 11-5 and one win away from the playoffs.

Tebow still has some issues, but to my mind, there's nothing there that can't be fixed between increased or dedicated coaching and a special package of plays designed around his skill set.

But it's still just pre-season, with game one in the books lets see how things go over the next couple weeks. :D

I'm a Tebow guy, so I'll give a review of his performance -- I'm not sure they had enough in the game plan to play him that much. I think Mallet was supposed to play through the third quarter.

Tebow looked terrible to my eye.

The good things:

1. Obviously, he can tuck that thing and run it. A lot of people overlook that Tebow's running ability is unique. Some other quarterbacks have elusiveness or speed, but Tebow has an efficient, compact running style that allows him to get positive yardage and avoid injury. He can actually get you 5 yards all through the game without getting hurt or tired.

2. The seam route to Sudfield was a good ball, just a tiny bit in front of him. But that's sort of how you throw that ball.

3. He had an incompletion late, a back-shoulder down the left sideline that was nothing special. But the ball had a ton of zip on it. Not just velocity, but it jumped out of his hand like a Mallet throw. I think one thing people overlook is that Tebow has head-turning velocity when he gets a good mechanical throw on it. It's one of the things that has intrigued coaches.

4. 3 or 4 times it wasn't there, and he just unloaded it. He needs to do that more. Part of what makes him not get rid of the ball is the subconscious belief he can end up scrambling for some yardage. But you can't always do that, and in any event it would be better for his development if he would get a "clock" in his head -- just pick one and throw it.

The bad:

1. Did not pull the trigger on some routes I thought were there. Not secondary reads, I mean the primary.

2. Did not seem composed -- a couple of times he broke the pocket when there was a chance to adjust in the pocket and throw.

3. Did not anticipate the blitz or pass rush, and deliver the ball to beat the rush. He just held it or did something with his feet. But the number one thing you have to do is anticipate and throw to a hot route.

4. Just an overall "did not look good out there on anything" feel.

Have yet to see the game, the game was on in the early hours in my part of the world and I was working last night during it :mad:. But from the reports I've read so far, there seems to be some good positives. I'm literally dying to see LeGarrette Blount running, because it looks like he blew everyone away last night. And I see Gostkowski has his miss boots on again. I'm beginning to worry about this guy, him having no serious competiton can't be a good thing for the team. Anyway, I'm off to try and find highlights of the game.

I didn't see Tebow play, but from what ive read it astounds me that he could have gotten the Broncos into the playoffs. He was so bad last year that even Sanchize was better than him (and sanchize sucks) But i thought 's the jests so that explains it, but after seeing some of his passes hes just horrible.

9KfYV.gif

He didn't look good last night though. You're right about that.

Our secondary is already in mid-season form.

One of the better shows last night was Harmon. He covers the honey hole better than anyone I've seen since Rodney. Granted it's preseason, but I like how he flashed potential. I really hope we keep him.

I think the receivers and TEs will have a better game next week for one reason only. TFB will probably play the whole first half.

Here's another example of why this first preseason game needs to be taken with a grain of salt.....

https://twitter.com/RoobCSN/status/366084466470428673

Also, just like the regular season last year, a lot of those yards by the Eagles came because they were so far behind. Also add in playing 3rd and 4th string players, AND Tebow couldn't keep the offense on the field for any length of time, and you see a 31-14 lead almost end up a 31-30 win.

My over-reactions after one meaningless pre-season game:

First - best possible outcome from a pre-season game: no injuries.

QB
Brady is the best QB in the league. Flawless.
Mallett is not ready. Pros - he runs the same offense as Brady, and can come in without changing game plans. Seems to read the defense pretty well. Cons - lacks touch and accuracy, throwing over and behind receivers.
Tebow is hopeless. Just reinforces my opinion from the day they signed him - hope he doesn't take a roster spot from a special teamer they can use. He cannot read a defense or make a decision quickly enough. Three sacks, all on him, from the second-half defense.

WR
Looks just fine.
Mildly surprised to see Kenbrell Thompkins starting with Brady and the ones, but he looks good. Gets open deep and short on third down. Good hands. Is where he's supposed to be, mostly. On one third down throw, he sat about a foot short of the first down marker, but pulled forward to make the first down.
Dobson looks good. Clearly the best rookie tandem ever, better than 2002's Branch/Givens.
Amendola didn't get much field time.
Edelman made a nice grab way behind him from Mallet to convert a third down, and made another catch well in front of him. Nice hands tonight.
The top five seem very obvious.

RB
The opening 62-yard run by Ridley was great blocking by the line on the opening play, and running straight Ridley couldn't stay ahead of the defense. Caught from behind with an open path - like he totally ran out of gas after 40 yards.
Shocking speed and agility from Blount. That guy cut twice and ran 80-90 yards in a sprint and outran 11 guys. Vision, power, speed, size. Based on this one game, no competition with Bolden.
Vereen is showing what we hoped for with a second round selection. A weapon.
Bolden is outside looking in, and if the decision were today, I doubt he makes the roster.
Washington didn't do anything to improve last year's woeful kick-off numbers. Hit and down by the first defender.

TE
Surprised that Ballard started with the ones after the generally poor reviews in camp. He did nothing obvious - although he was in on the 80-yard rushing offense on the opening drive.
Fells and Sudfeld looked tremendous. Both are weapons in the passing game. Both find the holes in downfield coverage.
Hooman was lined up in the backfield a lot, especially in the opening drive on short yardage and goal line, and made holes.

OL
Opening OL dominated the Eagles. 80 yard opening drive without Brady doing a single thing. That's scary. Svitek certainly makes the team based on what we've seen so far - good back-up tackle, and good back-up guard. That opening 60-yard run was his hole.
Can't blame any of the second-half sacks on the back-up line.

DL
I think I am going to like the Wilfork-Kelly combination. Kelly was disruptive. Definitely more of a traditional penetrating DL.
Nothing from the back-up interior line that created much pressure.
Didn't see much at all from Ninkovich or Jones.
Benard was a top back-up, and generated some pressure.
Didn't see much pressure at all otherwise - hard to sort out Buchanan, Francis, Bequette.
A lot of "NASCAR" fronts - Benard and other DE's spent a lot of time inside.
Eagles sliced right through.

LB
Jamie Collins had a nice inside blitz and ran right by the QB. He was in pretty early and looked athletic, but a little uncontrolled. A shot of him on a play in space - you don't get a lot of view of the middle of the field in these games - looked a little indecisive. Hard to know what his role was.
Tarpinian got a lot of early play and seems to have wrapped up the ST LB role.
Fletcher looked pretty good in his back-up LB role, played well in coverage.

CB
Secondary in general looked pretty much like the 2012 secondary. Especially the first team offense from Philly just carved them up, converted an early long third down over the middle, and then a deep TD. Not a lot of speed in this secondary.
Talib got torched by DeSean Jackson for a 47-yard TD. Gregory was seen coming into the viewscreen after Jackson was in the endzone. Not a good match-up for Talib. Jackson got Talib to shift his hips and then cut inside, opening 3-4 yards of space and cut to the endzone. Talib is not the guy to hang his head though.
Logan got a lot of play. Didn't really do a lot great.

S
No big plays from the safeties. On the long third-down completion on Philly's first drive, Tavon Wilson was in coverage in the middle and out of position. On the 47-yard completion, Gregory was the help and 20 yards behind. I don't see how this group is one bit better in coverage than last year. Hopefully McCourtney's presence helps, both physically and in communication.
I would not be disappointed to see Tavon Wilson released and someone picked up off the scrap heap after roster cuts.

ST
Gostkowski missed two field goals, and kicked off initially to the five, but then booted a couple through the end zone.
Allen, the competing punter, has a leg, and is a real threat. He maybe overkicked his coverage, but made the tackle. With this offense, whoever punts is sort of an afterthought.
Kick return team did nothing. No holes.
Edelman muffed a punt, but still found the hole when he picked up the ball.

Summary:
Offense looks just as good as last year, with a better running game.
Exciting possibilities with Blount, more Vereen, and Amendola-Thompkins-Dobson. Tight end doesn't look like a major drop-off, shockingly - they can run the same offense with their rotation.
Pass defense looks just like last year. Inconsistent pressure, lack of speed in secondary, and weak safety coverage.
Some things to get excited about, some things to improve.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back