PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Patriots vs Eagles Post Pre-Season Game Thread

...Not sure how anyone could watch that game last night and not be encouraged. The surest sign that things went well was how stoked Brady looked. He hasn't seemed that happy in years. Maybe these receivers aren't All-Pros, and maybe GM Deus could've picked better, but the team -- and its famously demanding, Grumpy-Gus, truck-no-mistakes quarterback --sure seemed pleased with them.

:confused:

I'm not sure where you get to thinking this has any relevance, at all, to anything I posted in this thread. Did you not bother reading the thread, or did you just completely miss what I posted?

Re: Official Patriots vs Eagles Post Game Thread

My 5 initial thoughts.

2. Thompkins lived up to the hype, very physical WR reminded me a lot of Boldin in terms of playing style.
Not nearly as thick, but not a horrible comp.

That's a massive overreaction if I've ever seen one. Dobson was open on at least four of the plays where the camera was following him -- the big gainer from Brady, the out he caught from Mallett, the probable TD he dropped from Mallett, and the slant that Mallet threw way behind him when they were backed up in their own end zone. The Tebow throws were heaves where he had no chance to make a play -- in fact he did well to break up an INT on one of them.

Let's not forget that one where he was so open he could have strutted to the end zone if Tebow would have decided to look at him on the play where he locked on Sudfeld, who was also open but Tebow froze like a deer in the headlights and got sacked.

The game plan for the receivers was basically thrown out the window once Tebow came in. I don't think Bill and Josh wanted Tebow in there until probably at the earliest the beginning or middle of the 4th.

Amendola
Thompkins
Edelman
Dobson
Boyce
Aiken

Rank them in terms of their ability to get separation last night.

Purely on separation this would be my order.

Boyce
Thompkins
Edelman
Dobson
Amendola

I didn't see much of Aiken, he did comeback for that one catch from Tebow but I did not follow him intently enough to form an opinion.

9KfYV.gif
Im assuming tebows mother?

Purely on separation this would be my order.

Boyce
Thompkins
Edelman
Dobson
Amendola

I didn't see much of Aiken, he did comeback for that one catch from Tebow but I did not follow him intently enough to form an opinion.

Amendola was 7-10 yards open on his first 2 receptions. If you've got him below Dobson, and last, on this list, we were watching different games.

Re: Re: Official Patriots vs Eagles Post Pre-Season Game Thread

Amendola was 7-10 yards open on his first 2 receptions. If you've got him below Dobson, and last, on this list, we were watching different games.

Didn't focus to much on him in all honesty was more directing my attention to KT and AD. I probably should of removed him from my ranking.

Let's not forget that one where he was so open he could have strutted to the end zone if Tebow would have decided to look at him on the play where he locked on Sudfeld, who was also open but Tebow froze like a deer in the headlights and got sacked.

The game plan for the receivers was basically thrown out the window once Tebow came in. I don't think Bill and Josh wanted Tebow in there until probably at the earliest the beginning or middle of the 4th.

I'm the farthest thing from being a Tebow apologist but he was not playing behind a stellar offensive line. It's a given he needs more time to get his head straight but he wasn't getting any of that last night so it probably was worse than usual, although usual is pretty bad.

No, the attempt to analyze me and my commentary was silly.

No mirror needed.

No analysis at all, it is pretty much universally known that expectations color perception. :confused2:

I'm the farthest thing from being a Tebow apologist but he was not playing behind a stellar offensive line.
The offensive guard depth was taxed on the second offensive line unit with the following offensive lineman out:

Connolly
Cannon
Green
Zusevics

No analysis at all, it is pretty much universally known that expectations color perception. :confused2:

It would also have been easy for you to figure out that your attempt at pop-psychology was completely off base if you'd bothered to read the thread. You could certainly have started right here, for example:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/1040342-official-patriots-vs-eagles-post-pre-season-game-thread.html#post3510107

Unless you thought I was somehow trying to kill Thompkins by saying that I thought it was a good start for him (in which case, the problem would pretty clearly rest with you), for example, you'd have been able to figure out that your post was as I stated it was.

Have yet to see the game, the game was on in the early hours in my part of the world and I was working last night during it :mad:. But from the reports I've read so far, there seems to be some good positives. I'm literally dying to see LeGarrette Blount running, because it looks like he blew everyone away last night. And I see Gostkowski has his miss boots on again. I'm beginning to worry about this guy, him having no serious competiton can't be a good thing for the team. Anyway, I'm off to try and find highlights of the game.

Ten Yard trackers is accepting members, which is surprising this close to the season. You can download any game and watch it about an hor or two later with high def torrents. It's free, but you have to seed a certain ratio or get booted.

http://tenyardtracker.com/community/threads/important-information-about-tyt.23627/

I don't know if that link will work for non members, but you can take out the main part and try it.

Speaking of non-stellar moments tonight for WBZ, did anyone else catch the new radio guy? Unimpressive to say the least.

I listened to most of the game with Bob Socci while watching the TV. Socci ha a lot of trouble with those little ads they push in the action of the game. Heseemed to lose his place in the game. He ooftem missd guys going in motion or setting up the play before it happened.

Following Gil Santos is very hard to do and its unfair to compare him to Santos. We have all been accustomed to Gil's smooth style.

It seemed that the Philly pass rush pressure came over the RG position too.

Patterson was playing RG ... he wasn't even with the team last week???? I don't blame Mallett and to an extent Tebow. The 2nd team OL ine was just awful.

Did anyone else notice the Eagles 1st offensive unit stayed on the field against our 2nd defensive unit. Kelly wanted to get Foles some reps with the 1st unit offense to do a fair comparison in his QB battle.

However, they went no huddle in the 1st Pre-season game!!!! They carved up the 2nd unit with the no huddle.

The Eagles also blitzed alot against our 2nd unit OL (really 3rd unit because our 2nd unit was watching the game on the sideline hurt). In the 4th Qtr they are dialing up twists and stunts .... you have to be kidding me! Given those two points I was overall very pleased with what I saw.

For those that play Fantasy Football ... Kenbrel Thompkins was the most added player in fantasy leagues (over 800 in Yahoo leagues). Also, Tom Brady was consitantkly going in the 5th round of drafts ... he was moved up the rankings to #25 today!

This is one of the sillier posts around today, particularly given the reportage of the game.

Actually it was insightful and spot on.

Impressive!

I believe Svitek started at RG.

The good news is that all four should be back to start the season.

We should all remember this game. Perhaps it is indeed right to carry four backup offensive linemen.

The offensive guard depth was taxed on the second offensive line unit with the following offensive lineman out:

Connolly
Cannon
Green
Zusevics

Impressive!

I believe Svitek started at RG.

The good news is that all four should be back to start the season.

We should all remember this game. Perhaps it is indeed right to carry four backup offensive linemen.
Not as worried about the New England Patriots offense with a commitment to the running game as the New England Patriots defense.

After 12 training camp practices and 1 preseason game, I'm ready to cut ex-NY Jets Marquice Cole for a fifth running back on the 53 man roster. Logan Ryan can take over Cole's role on special teams.

Perhaps it is indeed right to carry four backup offensive linemen.
Think practice squad candidates as an alternative:

Josh Kline
R.J. Mattes
Chris McDonald
Matt Stankiewitch
Markus Zusevics

Dante Scarnecchia needs a couple of dancing bears to train during the regular season.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back