PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OFFICIAL: Patriots at Jets Game Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is currently held together with bubble gum and tape and people think we lost today because of a coin toss. Hilarious .!

This is my interpretation of what happened at the coin flip. After the coin flip came up heads Beikman asks Slater, "do you want to kick?" Slater answers with "we want to kick?" questioning what Beitman said. It wasn't what the Pats wanted to do, but merely a rhetorical question. Beikman opening response was inappropriate. So, IMHO was his inflexibility to let Slater amend his response, since clearly it wasnt' what he he wanted to do. He was responding to Beikman's out of the box comment. As far as he was concerned he never had a chance to take his option.,

That being said, The Jets moved the ball 80 yards for the winning TD. There is no excuse for the by the defense. Pats fans may go nuts and cry conspiracy if they want. The fact is all they had to do is keep the Jets from scoring a TD and they'd get their chance at the ball Their defense had stopped the Jets 3 straight times with either 3 and outs or one first down. So that made the decision reasonable even if they didn't get the ball first
Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 34s34 seconds ago
Matthew Slater says coach instructed Patriots to kick off at start of overtime. The only confusion was which direction they were kicking.

Nope. It was actually a understandable decision given how our D was playing in the final quarter.

Stop the Jets and get a maybe a shorter field to help our barebones offense to go for a FG. BB had more trust into our D than in our O and I dont think this should be controversial.

You are judging the decision on the mistakes that happened minutes later on unrelated plays.
Correct. It was an unorthodox decision, which tends to flummox the masses when something doesn't work. The Pats scored one offensive TD all day, and it was highly doubtful they'd go the length of the field there. The choice was to kick. If the defense prevents a TD, it's all beneficial then to the Pats:

--If it's a three and out, a fg wins, and the Pats have good field position. If it's any stop at all, fg wins.

--If the Jets kick a fg, the Pats can use all 4 downs repeatedly, knowing they need to score.

--If the defense gives up a td, pats lose. That's what happened. Risk reward.

I can't stand it. How about the captain with the highest IQ makes the call.

There's no excuse. I understand mistakes happen but this is pure stupidity. It's like saying 2+2
maybe you should have called it. you could text BB and offer your services.

Now it's confirmed the decision to kick was BB's. The confusion was in which goal to defend.

Hey, the way the defense played in the 4th quarter that was a reasonable call.

This is my interpretation of what happened at the coin flip. After the coin flip came up heads Beikman asks Slater, "do you want to kick?" Slater answers with "we want to kick?" questioning what Beitman said. It wasn't what the Pats wanted to do, but merely a rhetorical question. Beikman opening response was inappropriate. So, IMHO was his inflexibility to let Slater amend his response, since clearly it wasnt' what he he wanted to do. He was responding to Beikman's out of the box comment. As far as he was concerned he never had a chance to take his option.,

That being said, The Jets moved the ball 80 yards for the winning TD. There is no excuse for the by the defense. Pats fans may go nuts and cry conspiracy if they want. The fact is all they had to do is keep the Jets from scoring a TD and they'd get their chance at the ball Their defense had stopped the Jets 3 straight times with either 3 and outs or one first down. So that made the decision reasonable even if they didn't get the ball first
incorrect

Overall I aint TOO mad about this loss. Playing with their B team out there and still took a 10-5 team to overtime on the road. Plus it puts the most dangerous offense in the AFC on the outside looking in. I wish it didn't have to be the Jets, but this is about as decent of a loss as it gets. Just wish Vollmer hadn't gotten ****ing injured.

Boomer Esiason being clueless right now, saying "Slater couldn't figure it out." And idiot ref Mike Carey "clarifying" things. f outta here

Now it's confirmed the decision to kick was BB's. The confusion was in which goal to defend.

Hey, the way the defense played in the 4th quarter that was a reasonable call.

All of this was obvious from the broadcast but Fouts that moron was to slow too understand whats going on and has created another stupid narrative for the masses.

Slater said BB instructed him to kick. So no mistake.

And team that makes the KO/rec is not allowed to pick direction, so no mistake by ref.

The possible mistake is that Slater should have picked a direction, figuring NYJ would choose to receive, thus giving NE what they wanted. But of course NE could have chosen to kickoff in that case. Which under new rules would not have been a bad idea. Stop NE (something they did a lot) and then win with FG.

?????

His All Pro special teams maven screwed up a coin toss and his CB1 played like a stiff today. How does either of those things have anything to do with BB playing it "as close to the edge all game"?

I suppose that if you re-read my post, you will see that I stated two different reasons. There are others as well. In addition, I mentioned that Slater made a mistake. That said, if BB were all out to win this game, there would have been no OT coin toss to screw up, now would there?

But, you are welcome to your opinion.

So is everybody playing next week? This team hasn't had any offensive rhythm because of all these injuries. I am sorry but that's not a good thing to have. If edelman can go then i would give him 25 snaps at least.

Meh, not fearing either Jets or Steelers in playoffs and I think even our JV squad can beat Miami next week.

Worse case scenario, I think we can still get to Superbowl as 2nd seed. The bye week was the important thing

?????

His All Pro special teams maven screwed up a coin toss and his CB1 played like a stiff today. How does either of those things have anything to do with BB playing it "as close to the edge all game"?

And now that it is conformed that BB ordered Slater to choose "kick", add that to the list of playing it close to the edge as stated in my post.

You got anything else or shall we just drop this right here and move on?

Have nice day.

Patriots were understaffed at a big level. Then the OL loses its best player. TB is under constant pressure. Yet as usual the Patriots put themselves in position to win a game at the end. While I majorly disagree with a few coaching decisions this is far FAR from a moment of throwing a temper tantrum. And provided the Patriots wanted to kick and the coin toss fiasco was a direction thing confusion, it is all but meaningless on a day with little wind.

Side notes:
Liked what I saw from SJ.
Mild concern for the run D.
Very worried for the OL.

On to Christmas leftover then on to Miami....:)

Well, to be fair, they lost ANOTHER safety on the first play of OT. Then their #5 got beat on a borderline pick. They didn't expect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3