PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Official 2023 Patriots Roster Cutdown Thread (final roster in opening post)

Sorry, meant there is little financial benefit to cutting with largeish guarantees.

Hoyer had one of these and got cut, so you're right.
I wasn’t agreeing it disagreeing I didn’t know who you were referring to.
But you said 2. Reiff and who?

Ugh, I wish Pats didn't always have to be the last team to release their cuts.
It's not like they don't know right now.
But, I am super curious about the next few days to see what other surprises they might drop on us.

I wasn’t agreeing it disagreeing I didn’t know who you were referring to.
But you said 2. Reiff and who?

Calvin Anderson was guaranteed a spot with his contract.

4 million guaranteed.

4 million guaranteed.
Why wouldn’t he be? And no, 4 million doesn’t guarantee a roster spot.
They will absolute eat the 4 million if a player is beaten out. Paying 4 million for a guy to sit on the bench is no different than paying 4 million for a guy to go home.

giphy.gif

PS is 16. There are 4 injuries (Thornton, Bolden, Reiff, McDermott) and 1 absent for unknown reasons (JJ Taylor). Assuming Taylor is a cut (like Hines and Firkser, the other two healthy absences), that means two of the injured players are going on IR.

And then somebody will get claimed or signed to a different PS and it will all fall apart, but it’s a good starting point.
Similar thoughts. There's 69 slots, with 67 practicing and 4 injured. My guess is one would not be practicing if the intent was to not have a slot for those practicing (risk of injury). It does presume that two are going on IR.

4 million guaranteed.
He was on the NFI list, pretty sure that means his contract was not the issue.

If he got injured on a motorcycle in the offseason they could claw a lot of that money back in arbitration.

They wanted him and were willing to wait.

In the BB era, here's all their 7th round picks:

2000: Casey Tisdale (nothing), Patrick Pass (solid player for a handful of years)
2001: Owen Poachman (nothing), TJ Turner (nothing)
2002: Antwoine Womack (nothing), David Givens (good player who helped win a couple of SBs)
2003: Spencer Nead (nothing), Ethan Kelley (nothing), Tully Banta-Cain (helpful player who did well for them for years)
2004: Christian Morton (nothing)
2005: Andy Stokes (nothing), Matt Cassel (hugely helpful player in 2008 and got some good trade value when they moved him)
2006: Willie Andrews (2 years of special teams play)
2007: Oscar Lua (nothing), Mike Elgin (nothing)
2008: no 7th rounders
2009: Darryl Richard (nothing), Julian Edelman (future Pats' HOFer)
2010: Thomas Welch (nothing), Kade Weston (nothing), Zac Robinson (nothing), Brandon Deaderick (useful player for 3 years for NE)
2011: Malcolm Williams (nothing)
2012: Alfonzo Dennard (played 3 years for them, good ST player), Jeremy Ebert (nothing)
2013: Michael Buchanan (not much), Steve Beauharnis (nothing)
2014: Jeremy Gallon (nothing)
2015: Xzavier ****son (nothing), Darryl Roberts (didn't play for NE but had a 6 year NFL career)
2016: Devin Lucien (nothing)
2017: no 7th rounders
2018: Danny Etling (nothing), Ryan Izzo (nothing), Deion Crossen (not much for NE but has had a 5 year NFL career)
2019: Ken Webster (nothing)
2020: Dustin Woodard (nothing)
2021: Tre Nixon (nothing, but stayed on the PS for a while and may land somewhere)
2022: Andrew Stueber (seems to be nothing)
2023: Isaiah Bolden (who knows, but he has potential)

So that's 38 7th round picks in the BB era. Of those:

1 (2.6%) superstar (Edelman)
1 (2.6%) really good player for NE (givens)
2 (5.2%) solid players for NE (Pass, Banta-Cain)
3 (7.9%) useful guys for NE (Cassel, Deaderick, Dennard)
2 (2.6%) guys that did nothing for NE but have stuck in the league for a bit (Crossen, Roberts)
29 (76.3%) players that effectively have done nothing in the league
9 (23.7%) players that have been legit NFL contributors or better

I'd say that basically a 1 in 4 hit rate with your 7th rounders is pretty solid actually.

They will absolute eat the 4 million if a player is beaten out. Paying 4 million for a guy to sit on the bench is no different than paying 4 million for a guy to go home.
I think we might see that in Reiff.

When there's a 2.7 cap hit if he stays and 4.0 to get rid of him, and he was just signed, the chances the player stays are almost guaranteed.

Like I said, Hoyer got cut under the similar circumstances, but it was about 2/3rds as much, and he really committed a felony in Bills eyes.

Most of Reiff’s money is guaranteed. He and Bill may have a handshake deal to cut him in order to keep an injured teammate on the 53 and then he will be resigned either tomorrow or after the Eagles game.

In the BB era, here's all their 7th round picks:

2000: Casey Tisdale (nothing), Patrick Pass (solid player for a handful of years)
2001: Owen Poachman (nothing), TJ Turner (nothing)
2002: Antwoine Womack (nothing), David Givens (good player who helped win a couple of SBs)
2003: Spencer Nead (nothing), Ethan Kelley (nothing), Tully Banta-Cain (helpful player who did well for them for years)
2004: Christian Morton (nothing)
2005: Andy Stokes (nothing), Matt Cassel (hugely helpful player in 2008 and got some good trade value when they moved him)
2006: Willie Andrews (2 years of special teams play)
2007: Oscar Lua (nothing), Mike Elgin (nothing)
2008: no 7th rounders
2009: Darryl Richard (nothing), Julian Edelman (future Pats' HOFer)
2010: Thomas Welch (nothing), Kade Weston (nothing), Zac Robinson (nothing), Brandon Deaderick (useful player for 3 years for NE)
2011: Malcolm Williams (nothing)
2012: Alfonzo Dennard (played 3 years for them, good ST player), Jeremy Ebert (nothing)
2013: Michael Buchanan (not much), Steve Beauharnis (nothing)
2014: Jeremy Gallon (nothing)
2015: Xzavier ****son (nothing), Darryl Roberts (didn't play for NE but had a 6 year NFL career)
2016: Devin Lucien (nothing)
2017: no 7th rounders
2018: Danny Etling (nothing), Ryan Izzo (nothing), Deion Crossen (not much for NE but has had a 5 year NFL career)
2019: Ken Webster (nothing)
2020: Dustin Woodard (nothing)
2021: Tre Nixon (nothing, but stayed on the PS for a while and may land somewhere)
2022: Andrew Stueber (seems to be nothing)
2023: Isaiah Bolden (who knows, but he has potential)

So that's 38 7th round picks in the BB era. Of those:

1 (2.6%) superstar (Edelman)
1 (2.6%) really good player for NE (givens)
2 (5.2%) solid players for NE (Pass, Banta-Cain)
3 (7.9%) useful guys for NE (Cassel, Deaderick, Dennard)
2 (2.6%) guys that did nothing for NE but have stuck in the league for a bit (Crossen, Roberts)
29 (76.3%) players that effectively have done nothing in the league
9 (23.7%) players that have been legit NFL contributors or better

I'd say that basically a 1 in 4 hit rate with your 7th rounders is pretty solid actually.
good post. Super useful info. Nice work.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back