PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2007 Patriots Draft Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official 2007 NFL Draft 6th Round Discussion

Trey Lewis (DT) to Atlanta
Thomas Clayton (RB) to San Fran

From NFLDraftScout.com:

Justin Rogers - DE/OLB/LS

Pro-Day - 6'3 1/8" 252 lbs
40: 4.74
20: 2.69
10: 1.58

Reps: 19
Broad: 9'9"
Vertical: 34 in
Shuttle: 4.28
3 Cone: 7.32

Maybe the Pats will move him inside. Maybe he'll be like another Vrabel and do both. Who knows.
I wonder if they'll take Madison Miller, too.

That's not about rankings, I just really thought Wendling could be good in NE's defense.

just generalizing. not directed at you.

Maybe we're just trying to draft developmental players who can get through to the practice squad without being claimed. Our roster could be full.

:confused: I haven't really understood the last two picks, so it may be totally wrong, but if Walker falls to the Pats I think with one of those three picks they have within a 10 pick span they have to seriously consider him. Earl Everett, David Irons, and Bradon Siler all remain and havent been slected do you think that any of them could be picked?

NOW, to the people talking about my comments about the Rankings.. If you go back and LOOK over the previous drafts, the players that the Pats have taken (EVEN WITH THE PATS HAVING THEIR OWN RANKINGS) have not been that far off the rankings of the national sites.

In Rogers and Oldenburg, the Pats went WAY off the rankings... And its surprising.... You're talking about guys who are rated in the mid 40's at their positions.... Guys who probably could have been gotten as UDFA.

NO ONE was saying that BB was STUPID for doing so. All I said was that he must not have liked this draft.

Green Bay has three picks in a row??

Dungy on ESPN :rolleyes:

Matt Toeaina (DT) to the Bengals
Joel Filani (WR) to the Titans
Adam Koets (OT) to the Giants

Ken Shackleford (OT) to the Rams

Dungy talking on Moss:

hes a tremendous player and he will help the Patriots.

Re: Official 2007 NFL Draft 5th Round Discussion

From PFW's Nolan Nawrocki:
Clint Oldenburg (OT) Colo St 6-5 298
Coach's son, former TE. Played RT in '05 and LT in '06.
Positives: Plays on his feet, flashed pop and punch. Has short area quickness to get in position to wall off defenders and is agressive to the 2nd level. Shows a solid grasp of the game. Very smart. Learns like a sponge. Plays through injuries. Has a good work ethic.
Negatives: Lacks mass. Has marginal arm length . Stands too tall out of his stance. Shows some stiffness and can get beat iniside by quickness. Has been dinged up.

I think that learning aspect was a big contributor to this selection

Last edited:

NOW, to the people talking about my comments about the Rankings.. If you go back and LOOK over the previous drafts, the players that the Pats have taken (EVEN WITH THE PATS HAVING THEIR OWN RANKINGS) have not been that far off the rankings of the national sites.

In Rogers and Oldenburg, the Pats went WAY off the rankings... And its surprising.... You're talking about guys who are rated in the mid 40's at their positions.... Guys who probably could have been gotten as UDFA.

NO ONE was saying that BB was STUPID for doing so. All I said was that he must not have liked this draft.

I think that's mostly right about the Pats being generally consistent with national rankiongs. Exceptions that come to mind are Mankins and Guss Scott. One has worked out well, and one was always injured so it's hard to tell what he could have done.

I suspect it's not so much about not liking the draft as maybe looking for something in particular, or maybe being willing to be more patient.

At these low rounds, it's probably harder to distinguish one player from another anyway. Ask anyone who is a judge in competitions -- they will tell you that ranking the blue and red ribbons is not that hard -- it's 6th and 7th place that are tougher.

Here is a comparison of Patriots picks versus NFLDraftScout. The Patriots are all over the place, makes our pick 10 game damn hard.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=405222&postcount=30

NOTE: There is an error with Andy Stokes, he was not rated.

It's OK if NE takes a guy without a link on NFL Draft Tracker. Cincinatti just did it.

Oops, bad example ...

GB just took Desmond Bishop.

Korey Hall (ILB)
Desmond Bishop (ILB)
Mason Crosby (K)

All to the Packers

Last edited:

Still available:
RB Ken Darby
RB Darius Walker
RB Deshawn Wynn
RB Jackie Battle
RB Selvin Young
RB Tyrone Moss
S Michael Johnson
S Daren Stone
S Melvin Bullitt
TE Ben Patrick
TE Joe Newton
QB Jordan Palmer
QB Jared Zabransky
LB Prescott Burgess
LB Justin Warren
LB Earl Everett
LB Brandon Siler
LB Madison Miller
LB Jon Abbate
LB Marvin Mitchell
LB Antwan Applewhite
WR Courtney Taylor
WR Rhema McNight
WR Dallas Baker
WR Chansi Stuckey
NT Walter Thomas
DT Antonio Johnson
CB Kenny Scott
CB David Irons
CB DeAndre Jackson
CB Anthony Arline
CB Travarous Bain
CB Ryan Smith

Packers stole Desmond Bishop :( He doesn't even fit their system...

Last edited:

bb didn't like the draft since way before the draft started when he judged that Welker was better than anything he would be able to get. I think that he repeated that comparison yesterday. Obviously, bb has underlined this position by trading forward and taking whatever few players this year he thinks might have a shot with the patriots, and yes some are considered UDFA's. There isn't much difference in this draft between the 5th round and the 8th (the UDFA's), at least in bb's opinion. I would note that as far as potential patriot LB's is concerned, the situation was the same last year. We started with a tweener in the 6th.

Last edited:

Any thoughts on Courtney Brown being used in the next few picks?

Atl just took CB David Irons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes