PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense or Defense early in the draft?

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
This is reported to be a deep draft & I fully expect the Patriots
To trade back from the 1st round.

I am still hoping that we draft a TE & WR early.
We need redzone weapons far more than another
Tavon Wilson or Duron Harmon.

Don't get me wrong I think the Collins pick
Was an excellent choice, I am just tired of the 5"10
180 lb DB's in the top 3 rounds.

We need Redzone Weapons !

This is reported to be a deep draft & I fully expect the Patriots
To trade back from the 1st round.

I am still hoping that we draft a TE & WR early.
We need redzone weapons far more than another
Tavon Wilson or Duron Harmon.

Don't get me wrong I think the Collins pick
Was an excellent choice, I am just tired of the 5"10
180 lb DB's in the top 3 rounds.

We need Redzone Weapons !

I am leaning defense early. Preferably, someone on the d-line or an upgrade at safety but the two elite safeties will probably be gone by the time we pick at 29.
On offense, I would lean toward the o-line and tight end position.

I want defense early. Get some young, athletic players and let BB coach them up. Don't want to see any more inexperienced players given to Brady. Get Brady some players with NFL experience so there is no learning curve.

It depends on the position. WR and CB are pretty deep so you can get great value later. TE it depends on who you ask but I'd say there's one top prospect, one a notch down and then a group that's good but not great. So if you can get one of the top two you do or you wait. DL there aren't a lot of top prospects so you get one or wait. Oline the value is the middle rounds. Safety is top heavy and thin but I like some guys as conversion from CB who would be good fits in the middle rounds.

So that's the long winded explanation of, it depends.

I would like to see picks for the defense early. But I'm fine with them going best available, provided it's a position of need (DL, OL, S, TE, LB).

It depends on the position. WR and CB are pretty deep so you can get great value later. TE it depends on who you ask but I'd say there's one top prospect, one a notch down and then a group that's good but not great. So if you can get one of the top two you do or you wait. DL there aren't a lot of top prospects so you get one or wait. Oline the value is the middle rounds. Safety is top heavy and thin but I like some guys as conversion from CB who would be good fits in the middle rounds.

So that's the long winded explanation of, it depends.

WR and CB are deep, I see Evans, Watkins, Lee, Clinton-Dix, Dennard and Gilbert all gone by the time we pick. I like Ford and Murphy a lot, but I see Collins playing the position we would put them in. I think it's taking Odell, Amaro or Richarson on offense, or taking Verret and then Benjamin in round 2. This is going to be an exciting draft

I want defense early. Get some young, athletic players and let BB coach them up. Don't want to see any more inexperienced players given to Brady. Get Brady some players with NFL experience so there is no learning curve.

There is no guarantee that an experienced NFL player can learn the Patriot's
system very easily. Look at Chad Ochocinco.

Here is how I see the first pick. Generally I think get an Offensive/Defensive star early or trade back.

Right now the guys I'd stay pat for are:
Ebron- TE Benjamin - WR for Offense &
Donald/Jernigan - DT/Ealy - DE/Dennard/Gilbert - CB/Clinton-Dix/Pryor - S for Defense

Those are the guys who MIGHT be in reach I'd probably stand pat for. If absolutely none of them are there you should trade back cause the depth is too good (but just be sure you don't trade back TOO far... 10 spots max).

I don't think a guy like Amaro or ASJ is worth the 29th pick but I'd be willing to trade down and pick up one of them.

I'm leaning towards ASJ with the #29 pick then defense. ASJ with Gronk ....:rocker:

BPA at the need positions. Except please no 1st round TE (Ebron excepted).

This is pretty much it. How they approach the draft is going to depend heavily upon what happens between now and then, as well as how the draft unfolds. I was hoping for a TE in the first but Ebron's performance moved him out of reach and Amaro looked so stiff that I really don't want him, the jury is still out on ASJ but my guess is that he moves ahead of Amaro in coming weeks. At this point I would try to address TE in free agency and draft a prospect on day 2 for the future.

For the most part i have viewed the offseason in terms of addressing defense in free agency and the offense in the draft, but if they can address their offensive needs in free agency then i'm fine with going to other direction. Hopefully cap casualties like Red Bryant will deepen the free agent pool and make it easier for the Patriots to fill their holes.

Offense.

I'm sorry but due to recent events I don't trust BB to draft defense high in the draft.

Without seeing what happens with Wilfork/Kelly/FA, it's tough to say. Right now, I'm on board with

DL
TE
IOL

for the first 3 picks. If a top WR/S/CB dropped, though, I'd be hard pressed to pass that up.

Offense.

I'm sorry but due to recent events I don't trust BB to draft defense high in the draft.

Jaime Collins and Logan Ryan are scratching their heads. :confused:

Then you need to be fine with Amaro and ASJ being off the board in the 2nd because they will be long gone by the time we pick.

Jaime Collins and Logan Ryan are scratching their heads. :confused:

Collins had 2 or 3 good games at the end of the season, let's not write him off as a super star just yet. Ryan was just okay, and that's being generous.

As are Jones, Dennard and to some degree Hightower.

Right. I just went one year but likely he's talking about Wilson from the class you mention the other notables from.

Collins had 2 or 3 good games at the end of the season, let's not write him off as a super star just yet. Ryan was just okay, and that's being generous.

I didn't get him fitted for his Canton jacket coach Parcells but I think you'll agree he's only going to get better.

Then you need to be fine with Amaro and ASJ being off the board in the 2nd because they will be long gone by the time we pick.

I don't want Amaro.

I like ASJ but I'm not sure if I like him with the first pick.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back