O'Callaghan isn't left out in cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_6056795
Growing up a California kid, Ryan O'Callaghan has never been a big fan of the cold. So after being drafted by the New England Patriots last year in the fifth round, the former Cal star made sure he had a comfortable, warm ride.

O'Callaghan used some of his NFL bonus money to buy a new Range Rover, and after each practice, he would hurry out to his vehicle, getting out of the elements in style.

That was his plan one December day when he went to his parking place, but he found his vehicle missing.

He might have considered foul play, except for the fact he was an NFL rookie. He went into his pants for his keys. They were gone, as well.

So in the 7 degree, bitter cold, O'Callaghan had to ask his veteran teammates -- who had raided his locker and found his keys -- what they did with his vehicle. It was about a mile away.

"I had a nice walk in the freezing cold that day," he said.
-----
However, there weren't many other instances where O'Callaghan felt like he was being treated differently because he was a rookie. He said his teammates were down-to-earth and helpful.

"People kept coming up to me, asking if I understood things," O'Callaghan said. "My teammates did whatever they could to help. On this team, it seems that we have good, decent people.

"Of course, everyone has their quirks, but there is no arrogance. It has been a nice environment."

It's been a nice, tough environment.

O'Callaghan was asked if he appreciated just playing football and not having to go to class, as he did at Cal.

"I went to five hours of meetings a day," he said. "That's enough class. Football is 24/7 here."
-----
O'Callaghan adjusted to being a backup when Kaczur returned, but he still was getting snaps. He thought he was on his way to showing his talent when he pulled around the corner on a running play against the Chicago Bears on Nov. 26.

"I came around that corner, and I didn't expect (Bears linebacker) Brian Urlacher to be where he was," O'Callaghan said. "I hit him, and my neck kinked.

"I lost feeling for a few minutes and eventually I was out four weeks. It was scary."
-----
"And I put more pressure on myself than anyone else anyway. I realize that I'm protecting Tom Brady."

The story about the car keys was really interesting. It really reflects the attitudes and level of trust within the organization.

Remember a few years back, when Albert Connell got in trouble with the Saints, for stealing money out of Deuce McAllister's locker? Reading the story at the time, I was scratchinig my head, "What the hell goes on down there?". But when taken in context with the above story with O'Callaghan, I'm sure it was just a harmless prank intended to bust a rookie's chops.

The difference is in how the prank is perceived, and what kind of trust level exists in the locker room. O'Callaghan didn't call the cops, and his teammates didn't carry the prank too far. Everybody understands the joke, and everybody knows the limits. I've got to believe that extends to the field, and how much one is willing to stick one's neck out for a teammate.

It reminds me of all the shananigans at camp last year when Matt Cassel (with help from Matt Light?) filled Brady's car full of styrofoam peanuts and Brady stole the tires off Matt's car and had them put in his locker.

BB was afraid it was going to go nuclear and put a stop to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back