PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Observations about Colts defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titans D stopped them thats why...............we always play them tough. Jim Schwartz knows how to stop manning. And its a lock we beat them in Indy week 17 for the AFC South title.

Keep dreaming.

The Colts have to lose two games and TEN must not lose anymore before you can even THINK about a division title.

Harrison went out yesterday and the Colts O basically kept moving at will. Kenton Keith (??!!!) runs for 80 yards? Dallas Clark burning Champ bailey??

The D is playing strong and fast and even without Sanders yesterday didn't let things get out of hand. The Colts are the best 2nd half adjustment team in the league and for now they still haven't played a great game and are 4-0.

Keep dreaming.

The Colts have to lose two games and TEN must not lose anymore before you can even THINK about a division title.
lots of assumptions here.................

Why do my post get deleted whenever i ask a legitimate question?

Any who, do you admit Terry Bradshaw is better than Brady?

Can't say since I've never compared their stats....as for # of super bowls, we'll have to wait til Brady's career is over...By then, he could be the best ever!

I saw them week two when we put 165 yds on them...........for a dropped pass we win. Boiman was a Titan and we got rid of him because he cant play. He is a great ST player that is it. The Colts run is over.

one year does not make a "Run"....a.k.a. One & Done!:D

Is there any way possible for Pats fans to discuss football as it relates to the Patriots without having the thread degenerate as fans of other teams come in to talk smack and brag about how their team in so much better than ours?

Could we have one thread for Pats fans?

Just one?

Just one thread whose subject is something like PATS FANS TALK FOOTBALL, in which fans of other teams will not be allowed. They can post everywhere else, just one lousy thread where they are not allowed?

One?

Called it the "Straight Forward" thread, and have a moderator to keep it on track. It could contain several topics, this defense discussion, talk about Pats injuries, anything and everything. Just one thread out of thousands.

Is that too much for a Pats fan to ask?

This is the only Pats fan site I visit. I know some of you visit others. Are any of them better moderated so that discussion is possible?

After watching the Colts over the past few years, and sometimes struggling to understand how their defense can be physically overmatched, yet still seem to perform decently, I think Ive figured out the connundrum.

This is my opinion. The Colts live by overcommitting. There run D issues are well-documented, and clearly understandable because they are undersized, and their DL is asked to rush the QB, and find the ball carrier on the way if it happens to be a run. They twist, stunt, spin, and often take themesleves out of postion on running plays. HOWEVER, at the same time, those pass rush moves create negative plays. It is VERY OFTEN that you see a minus run against the Colt D, when if that defender who got in the backfield didnt make the tackle, there was loads of running room. In other words you cannot expect to run against this defense as you would traditionally against a typical D. You risk more bad plays, for the result of more big plays. (Contrary to typical running game strategy).
More importantly Ive seen the 'weak Colt run D' stop a ton of 3rd and shorts. Essentially everyone shoots a gap, and they are banking on one of them making a tackle for loss. If you block it, there is a big gain for you.

Additionally, if the Colts focus on stopping the run, their cover2 allows the corners and safety to get into the play.
In pass D, the coverage is not great, but they try to keep everything in front of them, and hope to execute a pass rush.

My conclusion is that the Colt defense is GOOD if you are playing on their terms, and awful, if you have them playing on yours.
In obvious run or pass situations, their scheme puts players in position to make the play. In not obvious run or pass situaiton, their scheme allows you to attack weaknesses. Those weaknesses are created by BOTH their overcommitting, AND the fact that to play this style you put players on the field who have weaknesses (i.e very small DL and LBs, corners who play cover2 well play good run support, but struggle to cover if the pass rush isn't helping them).

I think in last years playoffs, the Ravens and Chiefs played into the Colts hands. They came out to run the ball, and allowed the Colts to overcommit to one thing. Doing that they ended up in long 3rd downs that could be overcommitted to the pass rush.
Many fans questioned us not running the ball more agaisnt the Colts in the 2nd half last year, but I saw this happenning then. They were overcommitted to the run, and would have stopped our running game. We would have been gambling on breaking a big run, like Dillon did early in the game. Throwing, and throwing short, would have been the best way to stay on the field.

I am finally convinced that our WRs played a big part in that loss. Not because the D shouldn't have played better, but because with good WRs (I'd call what we had last year in the playoffs 'capable' not good) the Colts would not have been able to do that, or if they did, we would have torched them with the passing game, eliminating at least one or 2 times their offense got on the field.

If you stay in nuetral run/pass down and distances, and break trends to run whne they overcommit to the pass, and pass when they overcommit to the run, the Colts D will have a hard time stopping anyone. The problem is most teams look at:
1) an undersized front 7 that cannot stop the run toe to toe
2) an all out pass rush that you want to avoid (especially since they are very good at the strip sack)
and decide to try to run it down their throats. You will gain some yardage, but you are playing right into their hands.

Excellent post and pretty accurate. Our d is undermatched from the start because it's always young and VERY small. Speed is our biggest asset which, as you say, leads to negative plays when we shoot the right gap. However, Tony's philosophy has ALWAYS been to play the run on the way to the quarterback, thats one of the hallmarks of the Tampa-2. That also requires linebackers who can fly to the ball without getting stuck on blocks. Rob Morris is our best run defender so, losing him will hurt. Boiman tends to miss tackles.

What does that mean?
If the Bills completed 20 more passes, ran for 100 more yards, and sacked Brady 10 times last week they would have blown out the Patriots. See but they didn't. Being 1 for 5 on the red zone reflects HOW YOUR TEAM PLAYED. Its not an excuse that something lucky happened.

+5 points for Andy. I heart retorts like this. His claim is in the same intellectual class as "if they just run the ball 40 times, they'll win!". Way to point out what should be obvious but apparently isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News