Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsfanri

Rookie
Reaction score
BY KEN BERGER
STAFF WRITER

January 16, 2006, 8:22 PM EST

On the eighth day of their search for a new head coach, the Jets decided late this afternoon to offer the job to Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini, a person with knowledge of the situation told Newsday.

The team is expected to finalize details on a contract that is likely to make Mangini its next coach as early as Tuesday. Barring any contractual hang-ups, Mangini, who would become the youngest head coach in the NFL at 34, is likely to accept the job.

"It looks like he will," said the person, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity. "It's about as likely as anything could be."

The situation remains fluid and unfinished, the person cautioned, especially since the Jets finished interviewing their final candidate, former Vikings coach Mike Tice, at 4 p.m. this afternoon.

"There's still things that would have to happen and details that would have to be worked on," the person said. "But my perception is that by tomorrow morning, the Jets will have a new coach."

Their choice is Mangini, the Hartford, Conn., native who has spent 10 of his 11 years as an NFL assistant with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, including the 2005 season as his defensive coordinator.

"It appears as if the job will be his and the club was in the process of putting an offer on the table today," the person said.

A second person connected to the Jets' search confirmed that the Jets were leaning strongly toward Mangini, but did not have first-hand knowledge that an offer was made.

General manager Terry Bradway and assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment. Earlier in the evening, Bradway issued a statement through a team spokesman.

"No other candidates are expected at this point," Bradway said. "At this point, we are going to huddle up and review our process to this point and decide what our next plan of action is."

Bradway and Tannenbaum interviewed Mangini on Sunday in Massachusetts, dined in Providence, R.I., and returned to Long Island late last night to prepare for the final interview of the week-long search, with Tice, the former Vikings head coach from Central Islip.

All along, team officials had set up interviews with Mangini and Tice on back-to-back days because they viewed them as the top two candidates. Their intuition was true, especially with Tice, who "knocked it out of the park," according the second person connected to the interview process.

Tice's interview was so good, the person said, that it caused the Jets' hierarchy to reassess the situation late this afternoon. But in the end, there apparently wasn't enough to dissuade the team from taking a chance on Mangini, who will turn 35 Thursday and is viewed by the Jets' hierarchy as an up-and-coming version of Belichick.

Prediction: The New York media, the decrepid state of that organization and the salary cap hell in front of them will chew him up and spit him out in three years, maybe less.

Bad move. Wrong place. Wrong time.

If true, good luck Eric.

Did they interview any African-American candidates?

Willie55 said:
Did they interview any African-American candidates?

Donnie Henderson.

Boy is he making a mistake with Bradway in charge.

I have no idea if John Tamase is right but he said on tonight's early NEST that Belichick had to step in several times this season to help Mangini deal with being "the guy in charge of the defense". If that's true, if, then heaven help him. I'm sure Bill has given plenty of thought to who to bring in to replace him. That is one good thing about all the firings, there's lots of assistants out there.

Cramden said:
Donnie Henderson.

Thanks.

I think this is a huge mistake for Mangini. That organization is so screwed up, he be gone in two season, blaming everything on him. Bad move Eric.

BelichickFan said:
I have no idea if John Tamase is right but he said on tonight's early NEST that Belichick had to step in several times this season to help Mangini deal with being "the guy in charge of the defense". If that's true, if, then heaven help him. I'm sure Bill has given plenty of thought to who to bring in to replace him. That is one good thing about all the firings, there's lots of assistants out there.

I've heard little rumblings from Reiss and Felger about that too. It was a telling statement made by BB when he said that he spent more time with the front seven than he has in recent years. There might be some truth to that statement by Tamase. Remember, Mangini was a rooky DC. It would stand to reason that he would need some help from BB at times.

Last edited:
DefenseRules said:
I've heard little rumblings from Reiss and Felger about that too. It was a telling statement made by BB when he said that he spent more time with the front seven than he has in recent years. There might be some truth to that statement by Tamase. Remember, Mangini was a rooky DC. It would stand to reason that he would need some help from BB at times.
I also wonder whether Belichick was calling the defensive plays for a while when Mangini wasn't wearing his red shirt for a while. And, yes, I asked at the time too.

BB should get some guarantees from his next DC. That's two DCs gone two years in a row. We need some stability at that position. I say offer a good contract and get at least a 2-3 years guaranteed commitment.

I wonder how BB feels about all this?

DefenseRules said:
I wonder how BB feels about all this?
Probably not too happy but I bet he doesn't think his pal is ready either.

DefenseRules said:
Lets see how long that lasts when they start the season 1 and 5.
I bet Vilma will love taking on those OG if he's playing ILB in a 3-4 like the Patriots. Or maybe Mangini will stick with their attacking style.

Great. Another offseason of listening to the Jets fans who will claim they are going to win the division just because they hired a coach who has one year as coordinator experience, and half that year the D sucked.

Mangini needs more experience.

disclaimer: I wont believe it until they have the press conference. I just dont think the Jets would be that stupid to hire somebody with such little experience and I don't think Mangini would go to such a screwed up organization.

Last edited:
I emailed Dan Pires to find out what he knew about all this. He said that money might be a sticking point because Mangini wants to be paid between 2.5 and 3 million a year. :eek:
That's a lot of money for a guy who hasn't really established himself in the league.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:

Don't believe anything John Tomase says. The guy gets as many facts wrong as Ron Borges does. The only difference is that Tomase is just clueless and isn't going it with any venom.

DefenseRules said:

If BB was having to "step in" and help with the front 7, is it really telling about Mangini or about Pepper Johnson and Dean Pees?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes