PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now Let's Get Healthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but when you add all the physical tools along with the mental part of the game it makes a great player. I also do not think at left tackle, which argueably is the first or second most important position on offense. You really can't name me an elite or top 10 tackle who is not athletic. There is a reason why some left tackles who are 6'7 350 lbs don't even make it D1 or into the league because of their lack of athleticism. It's obvious that when a player gets older the physical tools start to fade such as the speed, quickness, first step, etc. The smarter the player is, the more he can rely on his smarts to stay in the league even when the physical part starts to go, but he is not as effective. I am not saying that Light is over the hill but just a generalization. I suspect Belicheck will have Light at left tackle once he is healthy, and move Vollmer to right tackle, but I wouldn't be suprised if it was opposite. Due to his performance while filling in for Light.

Now you're taking a non-issue and trying to make it an issue. I agree that Athleticisim + "the rest" = a great player. My point, which was in response to The Dynasty, was that being the better athlete does not automatically equal being the better player. For some reason, this seems to be news to that particular poster.

Now you're taking a non-issue and trying to make it an issue. I agree that Athleticisim + "the rest" = a great player. My point, which was in response to The Dynasty, was that being the better athlete does not automatically equal being the better player. For some reason, this seems to be news to that particular poster.

You dont know the game of football if you're going to stick with the statement that you dont need to be athletic to be a good left tackle in the NFL. Name a left tackle that is not athletic...

You dont know the game of football if you're going to stick with the statement that you dont need to be athletic to be a good left tackle in the NFL. Name a left tackle that is not athletic...

Orlando Pace, for one.

Overall, for a lineman technique is the most important, but athleticism is what allows a player to have great technique. You can't have great technique throughout a game without being a great athlete in the NFL. And to say Orlando Pace is not athletic for his size is wrong.
"He laid those rumors to rest March 14 in Columbus by running the 40 in anywhere from 4.85 to 4.99 seconds, depending on which of the more than 50 scouts and head coaches in attendance you ask. (The session was closed to the media.) "Any time you see a big guy move like that I mean, it's unbelievable to me," Seahawks coach Dennis Erickson says."- The Sporting News.
Its impossible to start at tackle in the NFL and be able to stop speed rushers without a solid base of athleticism, then the technique follows.

Orlando Pace, for one.

For someone who is 6-7 325, I would say that he is pretty athletic. When you have pass rushers coming off the edge you need to be athletic to pick him up. You dont know football if you think that you dont have to be athletic to be a good tackle in the NFL...

Overall, for a lineman technique is the most important, but athleticism is what allows a player to have great technique. You can't have great technique throughout a game without being a great athlete in the NFL. And to say Orlando Pace is not athletic for his size is wrong.
"He laid those rumors to rest March 14 in Columbus by running the 40 in anywhere from 4.85 to 4.99 seconds, depending on which of the more than 50 scouts and head coaches in attendance you ask. (The session was closed to the media.) "Any time you see a big guy move like that I mean, it's unbelievable to me," Seahawks coach Dennis Erickson says."- The Sporting News.
Its impossible to start at tackle in the NFL and be able to stop speed rushers without a solid base of athleticism, then the technique follows.

Dennis Erickson? When exactly did Pace run those times (as in what year)? Pace is now, I believe, a 14 year veteran.

In comparison to skill players, sure, but Orlando Pace has a lot more athleticism than your average man.

But he's less athletic than a lot of left tackles, yet he was one of the very best at the position. That's what people like The Dynasty choose to overlook when they start with the 'athletic' nonsense.

Never go Full Al Davis.

But he's less athletic than a lot of left tackles, yet he was one of the very best at the position. That's what people like The Dynasty choose to overlook when they start with the 'athletic' nonsense.

Never go Full Al Davis.

HAHA! That was funny, man.

When evaluating left tackles, the first thing I tend to look for is the kick slide. You win the play at the snap and if you're slow out of your stance, you will look silly quite often. This is what I was worried about with Jake Long. I knew he had a mean streak, I knew he had long arms, I knew he had great hand placement, I know he could stone and bull-rusher.

But he really refined his technique, he can protect the arc and the move under and has become one of the best left tackles in football.

He and Joe Thomas are the top two guys I'd take if I were starting a team because of their performance and age.

Never go Full Al Davis.

I hope it makes you feel good attacking me in posts to other people. Could Orlando Pace play for the Patriots and the offense that they run? No he could not, because he is not athletic enough to block downfield. If you ask any coach in the NFL about the best tackles in the NFL they would say that they are athletic.

Dennis Erickson? When exactly did Pace run those times (as in what year)? Pace is now, I believe, a 14 year veteran.

That was coming out of the draft, obviously he is not a top left tackle in the NFL anymore. The younger, more athletic tackles such as Long, Oher, Thomas are starting to take over the position. The game has evolved into a speed game. To slow down rushers like Freeney, Tuck, Mathis, Allen, then the OLB's like Ware, Merrimam, Harrison, etc. You need athletic tackles who can handle the speed on the edge. When Pace came into the league, it was more of a running league where D-Lines were bigger and a bigger O-Line was needed. Now times have changed

I hope it makes you feel good attacking me in posts to other people. Could Orlando Pace play for the Patriots and the offense that they run? No he could not, because he is not athletic enough to block downfield. If you ask any coach in the NFL about the best tackles in the NFL they would say that they are athletic.

Pace is just one example. But he was a dominant left tackle despite being a fat slob. He was just one I could name off the top of my head. If I really sat to think about it (which I can't being that I'm at work), I'm sure I can think of plenty more.

Pace is just one example. But he was a dominant left tackle despite being a fat slob. He was just one I could name off the top of my head. If I really sat to think about it (which I can't being that I'm at work), I'm sure I can think of plenty more.

He was dominant in a day that the run dominated the NFL as a previous posted noted. He would not be dominanting on an offense such as the Pats and most offenses in todays NFL. The majority of tackles in todays NFL are very athletic and linemen in general, thats what coaches are looking for, that is one aspect of their game when coaches are drafting

He was dominant in a day that the run dominated the NFL as a previous posted noted. He would not be dominanting on an offense such as the Pats and most offenses in todays NFL. The majority of tackles in todays NFL are very athletic and linemen in general, thats what coaches are looking for, that is one aspect of their game when coaches are drafting

He looked pretty good for the Bears last night.

Ummmm......

Never go Full Al Davis.

You are the one who went with the "athletic" nonsense and I pointed that out, so I fail to see how that's an attack on you. As to you, if your theory truly was correct, there would be no need for teams to hold a draft about anything but position. The players could just be slotted according to how "athletic" they are, and teams would just pick them off the board in the order of selection, because there would be no question about their future success. Al Davis and his drafting of measurables time and again should have served as a warning about this stuff to pretty much everyone not named Al Davis.

Ummmm......

You are the one who went with the "athletic" nonsense and I pointed that out, so I fail to see how that's an attack on you. As to you, if your theory truly was correct, there would be no need for teams to hold a draft about anything but position. The players could just be slotted according to how "athletic" they are, and teams would just pick them off the board in the order of selection, because there would be no question about their future success. Al Davis and his drafting of measurables time and again should have served as a warning about this stuff to pretty much everyone not named Al Davis.

You are not worth my time. You arent on the same level as the majority of people that post on this forum in terms of football knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe