PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not that it matters but Joey Porter should have got 15 yard flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not "legal" for a coach to be on the field at all. What happens is the refs swallow their whistles when they come on the field during an injury. They allow it to happen. The minute Porter came out there and started running his fat mouth, they should have thrown the flag on him.

That isn't true at all. Personnel to care for the player and assist the player off the field are allowed on the field. If a team uses their assistants to assist injured players off the field, then they are allowed on the field. According to Boomer it is common practice. As a big and strong guy, Porter is likely does it a lot.

What he did on the field is another story.

That isn't true at all. Personnel to care for the player and assist the player off the field are allowed on the field. If a team uses their assistants to assist injured players off the field, then they are allowed on the field. According to Boomer it is common practice. As a big and strong guy, Porter is likely does it a lot.

Someone needs to tell NFL radio on Sirius that, then. They were stating yesterday that it's against the rules for a coach to by on the field of play but it's often unenforced especially in the event of injury where sideline personnel comes out to help an injured player off. The minute they saw Porter flapping his gums, they should have thrown the flag.

No. If what Boomer said is true, the position he coaches is irrelevant. It is his size and strength that matters. What Boomer said is Porter was on the field because he was big and strong enough to assist a wobbled Brown to the sidelines which makes what position he coaches irrelevant. If the WR coach is 5'9" and 150lbs, he isn't a guy you want to assist a player to the sidelines.

except porter didn't help brown

Comments on the recent comments:

A penalty on Porter was not going to offset the Burfict personal foul. It would have offset the unsportsmanlike penalty call on Adam Jones that was made after the play. Even if the offsetting penalties happened, the Steelers were still get 15 yards closer and a first down on that play.

This is probably splitting hairs now, but if Porter was on the field to help Antonio Brown to the sideline, he didn't end up doing that. Pittsburgh had 5 other staff members out there besides Porter and only one of them was actually supporting Brown when he walked off the field. Maybe having Porter out there just in case Brown needed two people or one former NFL player (the other 5 people look like "regular" people, with 2 of them being water boys or girls), so I can't argue with that reason for him going out there. That probably wasn't the only reason Porter went out there, though, in my opinion.

I'm basing the staff member numbers off this video:

Someone needs to tell NFL radio on Sirius that, then. They were stating yesterday that it's against the rules for a coach to by on the field of play but it's often unenforced especially in the event of injury where sideline personnel comes out to help an injured player off. The minute they saw Porter flapping his gums, they should have thrown the flag.

Someone posted the rule online in another thread and the rules are vague in it just says that personnel assisting to the player. It doesn't specify who these people are.

I honestly believe the steelers took the bengals to town in those last moments

I have no problem with it since it required the bengals to bite on the bait, but the bengals were bamboozled

this type of thing would never succeed against the pats

yes we do....porter did not help him....it was 2 scrawny little white guys

Ok, I didn't see it.

But Porter could have originally gone out there for it. Either way, they were were letting coaches on the field all game. So they were letting that rule slide.

Either way, it would be offsetting penalties and still leave the Steelers in makable field goal range. And it doesn't excuse Pacman Jones' actions.

Just to back up my previous post...

NFL to coaches: Don't go on the field during the game - CBSSports.com

During the middle of last week's win against the Panthers, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh vehemently disagreed with an official's ruling and ran out on the field to protest. He immediately was given a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, because he ran on the field when he wasn't supposed to be doing so.

In his weekly discussion, Dean Blandino -- the league's head of officiating -- reaffirmed that coaches aren't actually allowed to be on the field during a game.

“We've got to make sure that coaches can't come on the field after the play, during the play like this to get the attention of an official,” Blandino said (H/T to PFT for the transcription). “They've got to stay on the sideline. So we penalized him 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.”

Ok, I didn't see it.

But Porter could have originally gone out there for it. Either way, they were were letting coaches on the field all game. So they were letting that rule slide.

Either way, it would be offsetting penalties and still leave the Steelers in makable field goal range. And it doesn't excuse Pacman Jones' actions.
A 50 yard FG is certainly makeable, but quite a few notches up in difficulty level compared to a 35 yarder. Pittsburgh probably would have run another play from scrimmage and who knows what would happen.

The refs should have flagged Porter for being a coach on the field AND being an *******. If he's out there to check on an injured team member, no problem, but he was mixing it up with the Bungles.

I just posted this in another thread:

FWIW Boomer Easiason said this morning that typically assistant coaches are used to assist injured players to the sidelines and Porter had a right to be on the field. So being a former player (big and strong), they might have decided to use Porter as a guy who would help assist Brown to the sidelines which would have made it legal for him to be on the field. But obviously, that doesn't neccessarily mean what he did while on the field as legal.

Also Boomer pointed out that the refs let coaches on both sides on the field a lot in that game without penalty. So they let both sides get away with more than they probably should and threw the flag when Pacman stepped way over the line.

Boomer Esiason :D

Boomer Esiason: In This Case, Tom Brady Is A Cheater « CBS Boston

Nice cherry picking of complete idiots.

Here's another idiot, but at least he uses the NFL guidelines:

Blair Walsh miss dooms Vikings; NFL wild-card playoffs review | The MMQB with Peter King

"....News item: About that Adam Jones penalty in Cincinnati ... Steelers linebackers coach Joey Porter, who caused the crucial unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty on Jones to happen in the final seconds Saturday night, should not have been on the field at the time. The league allows medical personnel and the head coach to be on the field; the reason Porter wasn’t shooed away, I am told, is that there was real concern for Antonio Brown as he lay on the ground after the hit from Vontaze Burfict that generated the first 15-yard flag on the play. Without the flag on Jones, the Steelers would have been at the Cincinnati 32 with no timeouts and 18 seconds left. With the flag on Jones, they were in position to try a 35-yard field goal by Chris Boswell. It was good, and Pittsburgh won 18-16. So, two issues here: Porter, from replays, was hanging around the Cincinnati defensive players at one point, which absolutely should have been policed by the officiating crew on hand. One former coach who faced Porter and the Steelers several times said Sunday he was one of the best players in the league at saying incendiary things to opponents and hoping they’d pop off and get a penalty. After the game, Jones told Mike Silver of NFL Network: “He ain't supposed to be on the [expletive] field! He was talking all kinds of [expletive], yelling at [Burfict], saying, ‘You a dirty son of a b---- ... Take your b---- a-- out of here ...’ ” When Jones tried to get at Porter—stupidly, of course—Jones jostled field judge Buddy Horton, who threw the flag on him. If Porter was doing the trolling that Jones described on the field, he should have been flagged first, because he wasn’t supposed to be out there in the first place. But Jones in that situation had to be smart enough to walk away, and he wasn’t. The league has been telling officials to cut down on the offsetting penalties, to flag the instigator in cases where the two sides are both wrong. In this case, if Jones is correct in what he says about Porter, I believe Porter got away with instigating this."

Last edited:
Technically, yes, but here's the point that Boomer you missed. A receiver went down. Porter is a linebackers coach. He had no business on that field. He went on the field to run his mouth. He did nothing to assist the injured player and he wasn't even paying attention. He isn't even a coach for that side of the ball. He went straight for the Bengals players to mouth off...

Not only that, but Porter was not even tending to Brown.

He was in the middle of the Bengals defensive players talking ****.

Look, some folks here evidently want to go to great lengths to defend Joey Porter.

No matter how nice a guy the linebackers coach of the Steelers might be, he had NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER being in the middle of the field while WR Antonio Brown was down.

Question for Rob: Why wasn't the Steeler OC or WRs coach out there? Are they heartless?

Rob, you are going to amazing lengths to suspend rational thought on this one.

Last edited:
Someone posted the rule online in another thread and the rules are vague in it just says that personnel assisting to the player. It doesn't specify who these people are.

I think it was made pretty clear those were trainers they were talking about... but okay.

Boomer Esiason :D

Boomer Esiason: In This Case, Tom Brady Is A Cheater « CBS Boston

Nice cherry picking of complete idiots.

Here's another idiot, but at least he uses the NFL guidelines:

Blair Walsh miss dooms Vikings; NFL wild-card playoffs review | The MMQB with Peter King

"....News item: About that Adam Jones penalty in Cincinnati ... Steelers linebackers coach Joey Porter, who caused the crucial unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty on Jones to happen in the final seconds Saturday night, should not have been on the field at the time. The league allows medical personnel and the head coach to be on the field; the reason Porter wasn’t shooed away, I am told, is that there was real concern for Antonio Brown as he lay on the ground after the hit from Vontaze Burfict that generated the first 15-yard flag on the play. Without the flag on Jones, the Steelers would have been at the Cincinnati 32 with no timeouts and 18 seconds left. With the flag on Jones, they were in position to try a 35-yard field goal by Chris Boswell. It was good, and Pittsburgh won 18-16. So, two issues here: Porter, from replays, was hanging around the Cincinnati defensive players at one point, which absolutely should have been policed by the officiating crew on hand. One former coach who faced Porter and the Steelers several times said Sunday he was one of the best players in the league at saying incendiary things to opponents and hoping they’d pop off and get a penalty. After the game, Jones told Mike Silver of NFL Network: “He ain't supposed to be on the [expletive] field! He was talking all kinds of [expletive], yelling at [Burfict], saying, ‘You a dirty son of a b---- ... Take your b---- a-- out of here ...’ ” When Jones tried to get at Porter—stupidly, of course—Jones jostled field judge Buddy Horton, who threw the flag on him. If Porter was doing the trolling that Jones described on the field, he should have been flagged first, because he wasn’t supposed to be out there in the first place. But Jones in that situation had to be smart enough to walk away, and he wasn’t. The league has been telling officials to cut down on the offsetting penalties, to flag the instigator in cases where the two sides are both wrong. In this case, if Jones is correct in what he says about Porter, I believe Porter got away with instigating this.

I am not cherry picking. I don't know if he is right or not. I said if he is right, there is a valid explanation for him to be on the field. His explanation seems logical for him to be on the field.

And again, even if there is a logical reason for Porter to be on the field, it doesn't mean his action while on the field is legal.

But the fact that people are all over the place on this tells me that the rule isn't as cut and dry as people believe.

No. If what Boomer said is true, the position he coaches is irrelevant. It is his size and strength that matters. What Boomer said is Porter was on the field because he was big and strong enough to assist a wobbled Brown to the sidelines which makes what position he coaches irrelevant. If the WR coach is 5'9" and 150lbs, he isn't a guy you want to assist a player to the sidelines.

OK, now you have even gone off the cliff with the comedy range at this point.

Anyhoo, here are some of the training staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers;

Athletic Training Staff
John Norwig, Head Athletic Trainer
Sonia Gysland, Assistant Athletic Trainer
Jonathan Andino, Assistant Athletic Trainer/Physical Therapist
Daveon Lee, Athletic Training Intern

Here is the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers:

Coaching Staff
Mike Tomlin, Head Coach
John Mitchell, Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line
Todd Haley, Offensive Coordinator
Keith Butler, Defensive Coordinator
Danny Smith, Special Teams Coordinator
Mike Munchak, Offensive Line Coach
Jerry Olsavsky, Inside Linebackers Coach
Joey Porter, Outside Linebackers Coach
James Daniel, Tight Ends Coach
Randy Fichtner, Quarterbacks Coach
Carnell Lake, Defensive Backs Coach
Richard Mann, Wide Receivers Coach
James Saxon, Running Backs Coach
Shaun Sarrett, Offensive Assistant
Steve Meyer, Coaching Assistant
Garrett Giemont, Conditioning Coordinator
Marcel Pastoor, Conditioning Assistant
Terry Cousin, Player Engagement Coordinator
Chrissy Bulger, Administrative Assistant
Mia Daudet, Administrative Assistant

So with 5 training staff and 21 coaches, you are stating that the Pittsburgh Steelers sent Joey Porter out to help Antonio Brown off the field.

Wow.

I think it was made pretty clear those were trainers they were talking about... but okay.

I think it says team attendants which is a vague term. Also, it says anyone can go on the field during that time with the permission of the refs. So who knows if before the game, they get permission from the refs for certain coaches to come on the field and help players off or whatever.

Again, I am not saying Boomer is right. I am just saying it is a plausible explanation. I don't know.

I am not cherry picking. I don't know if he is right or not. I said if he is right, there is a valid explanation for him to be on the field. His explanation seems logical for him to be on the field.

And again, even if there is a logical reason for Porter to be on the field, it doesn't mean his action while on the field is legal.

But the fact that people are all over the place on this tells me that the rule isn't as cut and dry as people believe.

Actually, the vast majority of posters and football writers are NOT "all over the place" on this matter.

About 10% are "all over the place" on this matter.

OK, now you have even gone off the cliff with the comedy range at this point.

Anyhoo, here are some of the training staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers;

Athletic Training Staff
John Norwig, Head Athletic Trainer
Sonia Gysland, Assistant Athletic Trainer
Jonathan Andino, Assistant Athletic Trainer/Physical Therapist
Daveon Lee, Athletic Training Intern

Here is the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers:

Coaching Staff
Mike Tomlin, Head Coach
John Mitchell, Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line
Todd Haley, Offensive Coordinator
Keith Butler, Defensive Coordinator
Danny Smith, Special Teams Coordinator
Mike Munchak, Offensive Line Coach
Jerry Olsavsky, Inside Linebackers Coach
Joey Porter, Outside Linebackers Coach
James Daniel, Tight Ends Coach
Randy Fichtner, Quarterbacks Coach
Carnell Lake, Defensive Backs Coach
Richard Mann, Wide Receivers Coach
James Saxon, Running Backs Coach
Shaun Sarrett, Offensive Assistant
Steve Meyer, Coaching Assistant
Garrett Giemont, Conditioning Coordinator
Marcel Pastoor, Conditioning Assistant
Terry Cousin, Player Engagement Coordinator
Chrissy Bulger, Administrative Assistant
Mia Daudet, Administrative Assistant

So with 5 training staff and 21 coaches, you are stating that the Pittsburgh Steelers sent Joey Porter out to help Antonio Brown off the field.

Wow.

Again, if Boomer is right that assistant coaches assist players off the field that need assistance, they would most likely assign the biggest and strongest to do that. Sure Antonio Brown is a small guy from NFL standards, but what if it is a 330lb guard that needs assistance off. Many trainers aren't big enough to help a guy like that off.

I am not saying he is right, but if assistants are assigned to assist players off the field it would most likely be a 280lb former LB rather than a smaller coach.

Actually, the vast majority of posters and football writers are NOT "all over the place" on this matter.

About 10% are "all over the place" on this matter.

I am talking about the media that include former players who are 100% all over the place. Watch the football shows and listen to the radio and you hear everything from Porter had every right to be on the field to he should be ejected from the game. Plenty of legitimate people are saying there is a valid reason for him to be on the field, but it is near universal that what he did while on the field was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe