PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No McCoy implications

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
No surprise: McCoy is OUT.
With this being definite - and most gameplans and discussions until now counting the possibility of him playing - maybe we can talk about the implications and changes to the D (maybe also O) gameplan?

No doubt this is a huge break for Pats. Not only is McCoy the best individual player they saw all year - he seemed virtually unstoppable last time around and in all other games as well while healthy - but he also makes everyone else better, especially Taylor in both passing and rushing game. Moreover McCoy himslef is a dual threat (rushing and receiveng) and a great option at screen plays. Another, maybe crucial thing - he was by far the best option in the red zone. The second best Bills rusher this season by far was Taylor but w/o McCoy he should be much easier to contain.

Gillislee is a solid RB but of a different kind, not so elusive and has yet to catch a ball. Reggie Bush will probably have to step up in that capacity but he's far from McCoy. I guess this makes a D plan much more simple - maybe something along the lines of what we saw against Cleveland's strong vertical run - since Bills receiving threats are also depleted. The two guys who surprisingly put a ton of yards on Pats last time - Clay (5/47) and Woods (7/89) - are playing (although Woods with foot injury; out @Mia) but I guess BB made a strong enough point on mistakes on them that this will improve as well. Clay, along w Hunter and Tate was very modest against Miami - with Goodwin carrying the receiving corps (4/93) - but he is also OUT.

Looking at all this it would take a minor miracle - and would be a huge upset - if the Bills manage to win despite the home crowd and Rex's D (that will also be missing a key member in Aaron Williams .. going against Bennet and Gronk). But it only takes an off day of the team like the first time around to become reality.

Looking forward to strong Pats performance .. setting the tone for the great second part of the season.

Last edited:
No doubt this is a huge break for Pats. Not only is McCoy the best individual player they saw all year - he seemed virtually unstoppable last time around

That was my recollection too... then I checked the stats for the first game... 19-70 and no TDs. Huh?!? o_O

We unjustly lose the GOAT for 4 games so... to even things out.....No Big Ben, now no McCoy, next no... Russell Wilson....you catch my drift (lol).

The only TD of the game was from McCoy - receiving ..

Ah... I forgot to check receiving stats... and can't trust my creaky old memory... 6 catches, 38 yards, and the TD.

We unjustly lose the GOAT for 4 games so... to even things out.....No Big Ben, now no McCoy, next no... Russell Wilson....you catch my drift (lol).

Don't know about God .. but there certainly is a supreme being to Godel .. (and its not Supreme Court either)
He reminds me of me as a kid .. everything he touches breaks down ..

If only this team can stay healthy this year from here on in and get a few important pieces back as well as the season progresses. Lewis and eventually Seabass. That would be really cool. Good Karma for conspiracy committed against the GOAT and the TEAM. The reverse then for each Patriot weekly opponent. The Commish squirming as each week goes by dreading handing over the Lombardi.

It's tough to see how Buffalo matches the 16 points they scored in Foxboro today. They just don't have top tier offensive skill players. If the Patriots can keep from turning the ball over, they'll win the battle for field position, time of possession and the game.

Buffalo's defensive problem is an inability to stop the run. They got gashed for over 200 yards on the ground by the LOLphins last week. If the Bills sell out to stop the run, Brady will pick them apart. If the play Cover Two with blitz packages, Blount and White will grind away at the clock with runs and screens.

This game had me worried four weeks ago. Not so much this morning.

I don't know about you guys, but I have this feeling in my gut that tells me that one team upgrading from a rookie third-string QB in his second start with a broken thumb, to the GOAT QB on a hot streak, while the other team is missing their only serious offensive threat (their RB), JUST MIGHT be enough to make up a 16 point gap...

I'm guessing it implies that Rex will have a built in excuse when the Bills lose by 4 td's

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST