PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No fine for Clark for hit on Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inconsistency is just ridiculous. This hit doesn't deserve a fine, but Thomas' hit does? You get fined for running into a quarterback but not for lunging up at a quaterback's knee from the ground? I still don't understand how Bernard Pollard didn't get fined. I don't think he was trying to injure Brady, but he did make an illegal play that deserved a fine. Ridiculous.

Re: No Fine For Clark

The link was to the NFL rule that says you can not leave your feet and hit a receiver. It's called launching, and despite what Perira says, the supervisor of referees described it well. It has nothing to do with helmet-to-helmet.

Vicious Tacklers Will Take Big Hit From NFL Officials - Los Angeles Times
If that is the rule, guys should be getting fined each week. "Leaving your feet" often times is a given. I will have to watch the hit again, but I don't know that Clark even "launched" himself. Welker apparently is cool with it, which I am not surprised. I think when you step back and look at it, while perhaps uncalled for or not necessary, it wasn't a Tatum type hit, it was a hard, legal, football hit.

it wasn't a Tatum type hit, it was a hard, legal, football hit.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. That was a flagrant cheapshot and someone trying to pose as a hitter. Look, I'm not trying to be a homer here. I get that the game is rough, I manned the middle my entire life through a d2 team. I like watching offensive players get their blocks knocked off. I'm a student of hitting. I'm just saying there are situations where the ball is tipped and a guy is exposed and you have two choices: give him a motionless wall to run into or try to break his neck. If you have any kind of pride or are any kind of a leader, you drop your shoulder and plant your back leg. Simple, effective, not going to hurt the opponent. As a player when your teamate gets popped in that manner, you snap your chinstrap, start jogging onto the field and say to yourself: "25".

Last edited:
so we can hit other teams recievers as hard as we want when the ball is not near them??

David Thomas hit a guy 5 seconds after the whistle blew and everyone was standing around. When Clark hit Welker, the ball (that was tipped) was still in the air.

As far as the Lynch hit, he's clearly leading with his helmet. The "officials" told him something else just like Hochuli told Clark something else. The league fines players, not referees.

Thomas had said he didn't hear the whistle and he wasn't in a position to see that the play was over as he was focusing on getting the block. The difference here is that Thomas didn't launch himself at a defenseless player, Clark did. Doesn't matter if the play was dead for .5 seconds or 5 seconds, both players had let up at that point. Thomas was fined for a late hit, Clark wasn't fined for launching at a defenseless receiver. :confused:

Last edited:

Goodell and Pereira are inconsistent hacks who spend as much time as possible figuring out how to spin things to look like they know what they're doing.

Needless to say they are terrible at it and hopefully neither will have their jobs for long.

If that is the rule, guys should be getting fined each week. "Leaving your feet" often times is a given. I will have to watch the hit again, but I don't know that Clark even "launched" himself. Welker apparently is cool with it, which I am not surprised. I think when you step back and look at it, while perhaps uncalled for or not necessary, it wasn't a Tatum type hit, it was a hard, legal, football hit.

Each week? It only applies to hitting receivers and QBs who DON'T have the ball. Welker is cool with it? Uh, what do you want him to say? It was ILLEGAL. I just gave you a link and still you persist.

So you're saying..."see, they did it too, mom! So it's okay for us to do the same thing"? There are always biased fans who are going to back their team and bash anything that goes against their team whether right or wrong. Frankly, they are annoying, regardless of if they are Pats fans, Steelers, fans, or even Seahawks fans.

No, I'm saying we have Steelers fans here saying it wasn't a dirty hit, when they were arguing the exact opposite a bit ago. That makes them hypocrites, get it? I thought the point was obvious.

Read the rule in the link I provided.

anyone else think the nfl has gone way downhill the last few years?

anyone else think the nfl has gone way downhill the last few years?
Yup, and when's the next time retribution can be made on this POS Clark. Illegal hit or not, it's like when a teammate of Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale got hit, the pitcher could expect a fastball in his ear next at bat, whether he had been intentionally headhunting or not. Illegal hit or not, there was intent to maim by Clark there. Good solid football hit my ass.

It's a cheap hit, nothing big about it, infact its pretty cowardly. Hits like that don't impress me. They're on the same level as jumping somebody from behind in a fight.

It's a cheap hit, nothing big about it, infact its pretty cowardly. Hits like that don't impress me. They're on the same level as jumping somebody from behind in a fight.

Yes and it only proves that Wes is the bigger player by not making a big deal over it.

It also goes to show what kind of team we have.

Good coaching and great sportsmanship define a great team.

Glad we have that here.

I am appalled by this. Not sure what message this sends to the Pats and the rest of the league......but this is RIDICULOUS. Not only did Clark make NO ATTEMPT to "pull up" and not demolish Welker......but he actually LOWERED his head and TEED up on Wes. I expect Kraft to fight this one, because it seems like EVERY other team gets fair treatment.....except the Pats. If that piece of sh#t GOD-dell does nothing about it....I expect the Pats to target that douche bag next year.....and "concuss" his a##........I would send everyone at Clark and take him out.......This beeyatch needs to learn a lesson.......especially when the league is so OBVIOUSLY Biased..........

And the NFL continues to say "it's OK to injure Patriots players"... awesome! Screw the NFL!

You and I agree for once...holy sh)t.....let me get that bottle of champagne out that I was saving for special occasions and offer up a toast.......

Very good analogy. The guy who throws the gutless sucker punch in a fight is not highly regarded.....The guy who gets back up right after (Welk) and then kicks the sucker puncher's a## later on....receives high accolades.........Welk got back up pretty quickly like little had happened......Clark will be chewing his gums I hope ...after someone on the Pats.....knocks his teeth out......

A good clean hit....is part of football. A cheap shot, where the defender takes advantage of a laid out receiver for example.....is GUTLESS/COWARDLY.......Shame on clark that POS!

Ok, I get why Patriots fans are so mad, but had the ball not been tipped, the timing of the "hit" would have been very much the same as the one Holmes took from Crocker 2 weeks ago.

Enjoy watching our guy get creamed and then think about it.

YouTube - Chris Crocker HAMMERS Santonio Holmes-HQ

As a final note, there are multiple Colts boards available to you if you don't like it around here.

He's not a Colts fan... he's a Manning fan. He loves both Eli and Peyton. Now... what definition of the word "love" when it comes to this sport that we are using is beyond me. But that's what I know about the dude based on our conversations in the VLR.

Ok, I get why Patriots fans are so mad, but had the ball not been tipped, the timing of the "hit" would have been very much the same as the one Holmes took from Crocker 2 weeks ago.

If the ball had not been tipped, then Welker wouldn't have been defenseless and the roughness wouldn't have been unnecessary. So you are correct that apart from being completely different, the situations are totally the same.

Well done.

If the ball had not been tipped, then Welker wouldn't have been defenseless and the roughness wouldn't have been unnecessary. So you are correct that apart from being completely different, the situations are totally the same.

Well done.

LOL - Props, nice burn.

It's true, this looks a lot like a double-standard. Whatever the case, Wes seems ok and it's all water under the bridge. Until next time - then we kill dem all! mwahahaa

Ugh. I need sleep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results