PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ninkovich and Chandler Jones - Opposites Attract

Status
Not open for further replies.
let the 3-4 speculation continue

Funny stuff from Nink and chandler. Seems like we can pretty much give up the idea that Jones is ever gunna try to put that 10-15lbs on to get up to 270ish despite having the frame for it. I do feel like I have seen a post or two at the start of each new season mentioning that it looks like he has added a little bit of muscle but that's likely just his body maturing a bit rather than a concerted effort to bulk up.

he seemed pretty serious when he said he was 255-260.....he also said ninko was stronger than he was.....they seem to get along really well........will be interesting to see jones this year......i think he will continue to be a good player for years, but never truly elite, meaning all-pro teams........great video

he seemed pretty serious when he said he was 255-260.....he also said ninko was stronger than he was.....they seem to get along really well........will be interesting to see jones this year......i think he will continue to be a good player for years, but never truly elite, meaning all-pro teams........great video
If the newly added CB's can cover WR's better, and Jamie Collins sticks to RB/TE's like glue... Chandler should have an extra second or two when rushing the passer.

He could potentially put up 15 sacks this year, which might place him in the elite category.

Going from that video, Jones says something about strength not really meaning much to him. That's too bad. If he put on 10lbs of muscle (along with his already long arms) he'd have a killer bullrush.

He has a big long lean frame to mature to 270 and not bulk. He really should try to get stronger because he struggles with big long tackles that negates his length. He has very good burst but not elite burst to zip by a tackle. He is very very flexible to bend and flatten. If he added some power he could beat any tackle with his very unique combo of length/strength/very good burst/great flexibility/great hustle. Like other 6'5 and taller DE's

When Mayock and others saw him as the best defender from his class it was after he matured. Another 15 lbs to his big lean very long frame would not be bulking it would be maturation and at 275 he wouldn't lose any speed/burst/flexibility since its just maturation size instead of actual bulking up like Dion Jordan.

If we do run some 3-4 sets He probably wants to stay at 260. Now Collins is definitely matured since last season. I don't think he added that muscle to cover RBs so maybe they are planning some 3-4 looks with Jones/Collins attacking qbs as rush OLBs.

I actually don't know what Hightower's role is. He doesn't have burst/athleticism to rush passers full time. He will have to cover wherever he lines up as a non rush olb whether it be middle/weak/strong or inside of a 3-4. At 275 when(not if) he gets caught up covering a RB or TE he will get toasted. Spikes was weak in coverage and High tower is as bad or worse. Why is he on the roster. There are not many FBs so you don't have to be a truck of a LB. Its a passing league with qbs running 4.5s so Lbs must be athletic and explosive toto cover and cut off running QBs or generate power/thrust to hit/slip blocks.

A good example of what successful LBs can do is CJ Mosley from Ravens/SF game. Mosley blitzed and had a guard waiting to stop him. Mosley faked a slip then used his agility/explosion to change direction and close before the guard could blink and finished by quickly generating explosion thrust and attacked the guards outside shoulder and used a combo of slipping block/bursting through the RG or center whichever it was by using his agility/explosion. He attacked the guards outer outside shoulder so fast in a blink the SF guy couldn't adjust to square him up. Looked like something Lavonte David would be known for. That's what we need instead of Hightower who moves like he is wearing iron shoes compared to standout LBs. The steelers drafted a 4.3 speed LB after being torched by some running QBs. I'm surprised the packers haven't went after an explosive LB since Kaepernick/Wilson average 150-180 or so YPG rushing in the playoffs while blowing past aj hawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back