PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Niners trade to 3 was due to fear pats would trade up to draft Jones

Mike Lombardi practically swore on his mother's grave that the 49ers would choose Mac Jones...So something definitely happened somewhere between then & draft night...
Still a long time to go to judge these QB’s but can you imagine being the franchise that passes on the local San Mateo kid, the local Chico kid that played college football in their own backyard at Cal, then traded 3 firsts for the wrong guy if Mac ends up being solid gold? Sounds like some team is paying the devil for all those championships in the manipulated non salary cap era.

Still a long time to go to judge these QB’s but can you imagine being the franchise that passes on the local San Mateo kid, the local Chico kid that played college football in their own backyard at Cal, then traded 3 firsts for the wrong guy if Mac ends up being solid gold? Sounds like some team is paying the devil for all those championships in the manipulated non salary cap era.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Shanahan and Lynch may be fired soon, maybe end of next season. I'm already calling it, it was an epic mistake to trade 3 first round picks for Trey Lance.

The 49ers have one of the worst owners in the league in York, poor franchise-level decision making that was masked by a short great tenure with Harbaugh. And Shanahan passed on Mahomes and has been shaky in his decision making on QBs in the past. This is going to end really badly for the 49ers

Hilarious. This is actually consistent with what was reported at the time.

1631462128128.jpeg

They idiotically changed after trading 3 first round picks. Didn't have the stones to have the conviction to take Mac, got scared of the ridicule
Only rationale that makes sense for Lynch is he was concerned the bidding war for #3 would have gotten out of control on draft night OR he had it on good authority a deal for #3 was already in place b/t/w MIA and NE.

...but I can't see Flo & Grier trading the #3 to the NEP. Maybe a mid-round pick but not that lofty of a pick in the division.

Only rationale that makes sense for Lynch is he was concerned the bidding war for #3 would have gotten out of control on draft night OR he had it on good authority a deal for #3 was already in place b/t/w MIA and NE.

...but I can't see Flo & Grier trading the #3 to the NEP. Maybe a mid-round pick but not a that lofty of a pick in the division.

This will cause Lynch to lose his job. Really really dumb trade compounded by an even worse pick.

Yes all part of the plan by the Mighty and Powerful Oz and not some ridiculous revisionist history to try and take credit for the draft board falling their way.

Isn’t it impressive enough that Belichick and his team likely anticipated due to the composition of the board that either Jones or Fields would fall to 15 or at least close enough for a small trade up and made a calculated gamble? It now has to be a 4 month long diabolical plan that involves Belichick screwing over a personal friend?

This will cause Lynch to lose his job. Really really dumb trade compounded by an even worse pick.

Agree 100%

At the end of the day a GM's job is to evaluate and manage a franchise's assets and maximize their value (ROI, on-field production, salary cost, etc) and compare/contrast that to the market demand.

Players are assets.

Coaches are assets.

Salary cap is an asset.

Draft picks are assets.

At the end of the day a Stanford grad such as Lynch blew it. He miscalculated the REAL market value for Mac. Right or wrong BB (with help from his staff) out-assessed Lynch the market for Mac Jones.

For Lynch's sake, Lance better become a Pro Bowler- multiple times. We'll just need to see if Lance becomes Pat Mahomes or Pat Ryan.

Agree 100%

At the end of the day a GM's job is to evaluate and manage a franchise's assets and maximize their value (ROI, on-field production, salary cost, etc) and compare/contrast that to the market demand.

Players are assets.

Coaches are assets.

Salary cap is an asset.

Draft picks are assets.

At the end of the day a Stanford grad such as Lynch blew it. He miscalculated the REAL market value for Mac. Right or wrong BB (with help from his staff) out-assessed Lynch the market for Mac Jones.

For Lynch's sake, Lance better become a Pro Bowler- multiple times. We'll just need to see if Lance becomes Pat Mahomes or Pat Ryan.
I'm very curious what happens this year if Jimmy gets hurt again (which, obviously, is not necessarily unlikely) and Lance has to play. If he looks bad...

I'm very curious what happens this year if Jimmy gets hurt again (which, obviously, is not necessarily unlikely) and Lance has to play. If he looks bad...

This will happen. Just a matter of time within the next 15 months.

I think the level-headed fan would look at Year 1 of a rookie Qb's career as a software "beta". Some things will go well. Some don't. At a minimum I think Lynch and Shanny have until 2022 to demonstrate they made the right choice or Jed York may look to start acting like Max Robespierre.

It’s called changing your mind.
It’s human nature, you do all your research and your like ok I’m purchasing this car. You go to the dealership and the salesman says that’s a great car tell me did you see the new models. Yeah they are so new there’s not a lot of background or reviews on it but from what we’ve seen it’s a game changer.
It’s got more horsepower this thing flies. It’s really sexy.
I think you would look great in it. However the car you came in for is nice it’s very reliable will get you where you need to go is very comfortable great guarantee it’s fast enough.
I just thought you’d want to see this new model though. Before you made a decision maybe you should sleep on it. I’ll be honest the car your looking to upgrade is very similar to the one you came in for.
So is it really like your upgrading?

I feel a sudden urge to run out and purchase a vehicle now

I think the level-headed fan would look at Year 1 of a rookie Qb's career as a software "beta". Some things will go well. Some don't. At a minimum I think Lynch and Shanny have until 2022 to demonstrate they made the right choice or Jed York may look to start acting like Max Robespierre.
I wonder if that was a factor in selecting the “sky high upside but needs lots of time” QB prospect Lance instead of the “most ready to start now” prospect Mac Jones? If Lance looks bad in year 1-2, “we just have to give him (and us!!, Mr York) a few years to judge the pick, he has sky high upside, another Josh Allen, he needed time too!!”. In contrast, if “more pro ready” Mac didn’t look good by year two their (Lynch and Shanny) goose would have likely been cooked. They had no way of knowing Mac would look so good (for a rookie QB) so soon of course.

Last edited:
I wonder if that was a factor in selecting the “sky high upside but needs lots of time” QB prospect Lance instead of the “most ready to start now” prospect Mac Jones? If Lance looks bad in year 1-2, “we just have to give him (and us!!, Mr York) a few years to judge the pick, he had sky high upside!!”. In contrast, if “more pro ready” Mac didn’t look good by year two their (Lynch and Shanny) goose would have likely been cooked. They had no way of knowing Mac would look so good (for a rookie QB) so soon of course.
That's kinda what I think as well.

If Lynch wants to play the career preservation game, ideally he wants Jimmy to do well in 2021 and turn the team over to Trey in 2022. York might give him until 2023 before he renders an opinion on Lynch's move.

Shanny wants to win now so having Mac come in in case Jimmy gets injured is better for his career

That's kinda what I think as well.

If Lynch wants to play the career preservation game, ideally he wants Jimmy to do well in 2021 and turn the team over to Trey in 2022. York might give him until 2023 before he renders an opinion on Lynch's move.

Shanny wants to win now so having Mac come in in case Jimmy gets injured is better for his career
Good point, that would explain why Shanny wanted Mac and Lynch Trey (if those rumors are true).

Good point, that would explain why Shanny wanted Mac and Lynch Trey (if those rumors are true).
Yep. Call it dumb or miscalculated but it was a bold move by Lynch.

Only time will tell if his eval was correct and price paid was worth it

The question is when were the 9ers concerned.

3/12- Trey Lance Pro Day. 49ers there amongst other teams
3/23- Mac Jones 1st pro day. 49ers there (which did not go great)
3/26 - Niners trade for 3rd pick
3/30- Lynch and Shanny Jr at Mac Jones 2nd workout (which went better)
4/19- Niners ran Trey Lance 2nd workout

I do think the 9ers were very interested in both QBs at one point in late March. They may have been concerned the NEP might take Jones but IMO after Mac's 2nd workout and before Trey's 2nd workout they locked in on Trey.

Shefty can easily slither out of this one (as usual) based on the scenario and timeline above.
Makes me wonder if BB told him to throw his workout a little bit.

I believe it. Their original pick was #12 so they most likely were thinking they could miss out on a QB entirely. Lawrence & Wilson were 1 & 2 off the board the second the season ended, which i'm guessing they were looking at Lance or Jones and they were thinking if they stayed at #12 they might miss out on both.

Remember they did the trade 2 months before the draft so i'd imagine there was hundreds of discussions of who to take. The contingent that wanted Lance won out. So maybe they didn't specifically go up to take Jones but I think part of them going up is because they worried if they settled on Jones and didn't go up Pats would jump up ahead of them.

I do think they still overreacted, Lance would have been there at #12. Falcons were taking Pitts, Bengals, Dolphins and Lions weren't QB needy, Broncos & Panthers traded for QBs. Eagles were really the only question but I think they would have still taken Smith over Lance as they passed on Fields & Jones.
Just because wasn't "qb needy" does not mean that they wouldn't trade their pick to someone who wanted to draft a quarterback.

When the Bears traded up for Fields...I was worried.

So happy we ended up with Jones by standing pat. I seriously thought BB was prepared to roll with a Mond/Newton or a Mills/Newton combo this year.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back