PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Niners trade to 3 was due to fear pats would trade up to draft Jones

I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Shanahan and Lynch may be fired soon, maybe end of next season. I'm already calling it, it was an epic mistake to trade 3 first round picks for Trey Lance.
I agree. However, I also believe that the Shanahan and Lynch needed to draft a top QB, or likely be fired.

SF was in a very difficult position. They wanted to guarantee a shot to draft their choice as early as possible.

I agree that they probably made the wrong choice. IMO, both Fields and Jones were better choices.

As an aside, I would not have been shocked if all 5 were gone by Pick 10, with teams trading up for their choice of QB. That wasn't the most likely scenario. However, it is not unreasonable to suppose that at 11 SF would be able to draft the 5th QB that wasn't chosen by those willing to trade up. SF wasn't willing to be in that position. On the other hand, Belichick took his chances and watched and hoped that no one drafted Jones at 12 or 13 or 14.

Makes me wonder if BB told him to throw his workout a little bit.
I think that may be a bit over the top, but what I wouldn’t put past BB is a bit of acting (or overacting) on his part. I remember some clips of BB and Josh attending one of Mac’s workouts with BB crossing his arms and scowling and shaking his head seemingly in disgust over a missed pass. At the time I thought such an over-the-top display of disgust for a PROSPECT (as opposed to someone on the Pats where he regularly coaches hard) didn’t seem in character. That is when I thought BB might really be interested in Mac. Well, for once I got it right, I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)

...scowling and shaking his head seemingly in disgust over a missed pass. At the time I thought such an over-the-top display of disgust for a PROSPECT (as opposed to someone on the Pats where he regularly coaches hard) didn’t seem in character. That is when I thought BB might really be interested in Mac. Well, for once I got it right, I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
I was thinking the same. The GOAT coach doing that to a kid who is trying his best to impress with all the cameras on ? Agree.

Nonsense. If that were the case they wouldn't have passed on him.

you pay an incredible high price because you are worried that a team may be interested in a prospect you like and the you choose another guy ??? really ??? Please ...

I agree. However, I also believe that the Shanahan and Lynch needed to draft a top QB, or likely be fired.

SF was in a very difficult position. They wanted to guarantee a shot to draft their choice as early as possible.

I agree that they probably made the wrong choice. IMO, both Fields and Jones were better choices.

As an aside, I would not have been shocked if all 5 were gone by Pick 10, with teams trading up for their choice of QB. That wasn't the most likely scenario. However, it is not unreasonable to suppose that at 11 SF would be able to draft the 5th QB that wasn't chosen by those willing to trade up. SF wasn't willing to be in that position. On the other hand, Belichick took his chances and watched and hoped that no one drafted Jones at 12 or 13 or 14.

Yeah we're on the same page. Shanahan's offense works when JimmyG is healthy. Shanahan noted it's not sustainable if Jimmy is hurt so much. So their best move, not that I'm complaining, should have been [Vontae] Mac no matter what at #3 even if their owner or who else was showing poor judgement.

Why is this just coming out now? Timing seems very strange.

I am glad they got lance, but overjoyed that we got Jones!

That'd be awesome but that might be a stretch. Lol.
It probably is, but what gave me the thought was Mac telling Goodell this is where he wanted to be all along when he was drafted. He might have even had an "off" day on his own to drop a little bit.

It probably is, but what gave me the thought was Mac telling Goodell this is where he wanted to be all along when he was drafted. He might have even had an "off" day on his own to drop a little bit.
I dunno man. Sabotaging his own draft status and earnings potential seems unlikely

I dunno man. Sabotaging his own draft status and earnings potential seems unlikely
He knew the Pats were picking at 15. He also knew the team that would best fit his skillset and offer the best long term earning potential. Maybe he's a chess instead of checkers guy too

Mac isn't dumb, so I think he realizes the Patriots are the perfect team for him because their offensive style (emphasizing error free football perfectly following a game plan without a bunch of "making something out of nothing" improvisational plays) perfectly matches his skill set.

However, I simply can't believe he would sabotage his draft status with an "off" day during his pro day, that isn't in his hyper-competitive nature. Why am I so sure? Because as scout team QB he was constantly getting in trouble with Saban by trying to win every play in a practice or scrimmage. He would, for example, draw the starting defense offsides with a hard count (which to an infuriated Saban was a wasted play). When he was supposed to purposely throw a ball to some location where it could be intercepted (to give the DBs practice with INTs) he would always throw the ball in the stands instead. ;) There were many plays that were supposed to be some type of simple hand-off and instead he would boot-leg it for a touch down. :rofl: See: MacJonesTheJoker . However, Saban didn't kill him so there must have been a carefully concealed part of Saban that liked this hyper-competitiveness. Anyway, throwing a pro-day just doesn't sound like his style.

Mac isn't dumb, so I think he realizes the Patriots are the perfect team for him because their offensive style (emphasizing error free football perfectly following a game plan without a bunch of "making something out of nothing" improvisational plays) perfectly matches his skill set.

However, I simply can't believe he would sabotage his draft status with an "off" day during his pro day, that isn't in his hyper-competitive nature. Why am I so sure? Because as scout team QB he was constantly getting in trouble with Saban by trying to win every play in a practice or scrimmage. He would, for example, draw the starting defense offsides with a hard count (which to an infuriated Saban was a wasted play). When he was supposed to purposely throw a ball to some location where it could be intercepted (to give the DBs practice with INTs) he would always throw the ball in the stands instead. ;) There were many plays that were supposed to be some type of simple hand-off and instead he would boot-leg it for a touch down. :rofl: See: MacJonesTheJoker . However, Saban didn't kill him so there must have been a carefully concealed part of Saban that liked this hyper-competitiveness. Anyway, throwing a pro-day just doesn't sound like his style.
If he knew it would drop him to the right team with a wink and a nod. Then he would be stupid not to.

Makes me wonder if BB told him to throw his workout a little bit.

No dice. You're talking about a kid so competitive he refused as scout team QB for hot-headed Nick Saban to throw picks or throw bad passes just to give the 1st defense some easy practice.

No dice. You're talking about a kid so competitive he refused as scout team QB for hot-headed Nick Saban to throw picks or throw bad passes just to give the 1st defense some easy practice.

I know all that, you don't think he could play it smart instead of blind competitiveness? Seems like he got exactly what he wanted as far as teams go

I know all that, you don't think he could play it smart instead of blind competitiveness? Seems like he got exactly what he wanted as far as teams go

Yeah. It worked out perfect. Just like Belichick is super competitive, didn't tank last year even for a better draft pick, and they are mutually happy to get Mac and Mac was happy to fall without tanking his workout.

Shanahan and Lynch are fools. Who makes a trade like that TWO MONTHS before the draft?
When you are waving three big ones, you can buy any spot you want any time you want (other than the top two, in this case).
All the reports over the last few months and now shefty's report indicate that they bought the spot with big currency without a clear cut plan (which makes sense because the draft is still two months out). So why not wait until you know what you are buying. Poor management performance.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back