PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFP: NFL Draft rumors: Post-Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.
People suggest Miller is puny. He is up to 246 and 6'3" and is essentially bigger than Mayo. He is bigger the 3-4 Colts DE Robert Mathis. He is bigger than Harrison and Dumervil who ain't too bad!DW Toys

And has Mayo ever been asked to play LOLB or ROLB for the Patriots?
I don't think so. He plays a very different position where being slightly smaller is optimal. Has Mathis ever had to set a hard edge? Hell no, he swims towards the QB and then catches the ball carrier if he goes by.

As long as the Pats are playing a 2-gap base 3-4, the OLBs have to be big to be successful. Don't use comparisons of players who play dramatically different positions in different systems unless you think Belichek wants to change his fundamental defensive system to suit your whims.

Can you tell me more about this guy?

I agree with this assessment as well.. I think they most likely will get another Jermaine Cunningham in the 2nd or 3rd round.. I also am starting to think that they won't be grabbing the DE's that everyone thinks they will grab.. BB's recent philosophy is grabbing big DT's and converting them.. Look for a possible Phil Taylor pick..

Carter is more an UDFA type. He's also about 6'1" 245. I'm hoping for Aldon smith, strong enough to hold the point and a very good, athletic passrusher.

Yes, there was one snap in particular last season where an offensive player went in motion and Ninkovich and Mayo switched spots in response. But of course, that one snap doesn't really hurt your point a whole lot:cool:

I don't think so. He plays a very different position where being slightly smaller is optimal. Has Mathis ever had to set a hard edge? Hell no, he swims towards the QB and then catches the ball carrier if he goes by.

As long as the Pats are playing a 2-gap base 3-4, the OLBs have to be big to be successful. Don't use comparisons of players who play dramatically different positions in different systems unless you think Belichek wants to change his fundamental defensive system to suit your whims.

Why would he have to change his system to put in a 6' 3" 246lb OLB?That is plenty big enough. I don't get it. Doesn't Harrison play OLB for the Steelers? Dumervile was dominating as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB. Check their size.

I could see if you were talking OLB Dontay Moch at 6'1" and 230lbs.
DW Toys
P.S. Why is it optimal to have a small ILB? I am not buying that one.

Colvin was 6"3 250
TBC is 6"2 250 as is Ninko

Miller is big enough
It's not like he's 5"11

I have Ninkovich at 255, TBC at 265 on my tracking sheet - which I updated a year ago. The 250 that patriots.com has him listed at now is a change. Although Ninko is still listed at 255. OTOH, they had George Bussey listed at 265 for quite awhile, too, and later changed it to 306.

Cameron Jordan & Willie McGinest - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

"I think the outside linebacker group was a little bit different. Generally speaking, I'd say there were more shorter players, maybe a little less speed than what we've seen, but maybe a little more power with good production. There weren't a lot of 4.6, 4.65 guys in the [40-yard dash], and not a lot of 6-4, 6-5 guys. There was a much smaller pool of those players."

Are there other quotes mentioning the 6'4, 6'5 height 4.6 40 speed or is this the quote that everyone refers to when talking about the Patriots OLB height?

I ask this because other than McGinest who they inherited and Vrabel who they signed in 2001 the only other players who match those height requirements were undrafted special teamers Pierre Woods and Vince Redd (5 Games). You could maybe include Eric Moore this year but he was strictly used at DE except for the last game I believe. Maybe Matt Chatham another undrafted ST but I believe played mostly inside. (Crable)

Every other OLB that I can remember who was brought in falls short (literally) of this requirement.

Rosevelt Colvin 6'3 250 and Roman Phifer 6'2 248 both very similar to Von Miller at 6'3 247.

Chad Brown 6'2 245
A. Thomas 6'2 270
Ninkovich 6'2 255
TBC 6'2 250
Burgess 6'2 260
Edit: Didn't list Crable, Cunningham, thanksVJC
Crable 6'5 245
Cunningham 6'3 266

It seems to me that they don't require the height even if they may desire it.

Last edited:

"I think the outside linebacker group was a little bit different. Generally speaking, I'd say there were more shorter players, maybe a little less speed than what we've seen, but maybe a little more power with good production. There weren't a lot of 4.6, 4.65 guys in the [40-yard dash], and not a lot of 6-4, 6-5 guys. There was a much smaller pool of those players."

Are there other quotes mentioning the 6'4, 6'5 height 4.6 40 speed or is this the quote that everyone refers to when talking about the Patriots OLB height?

Right consider there's a difference between the prototype desired and what is actually available at the draft. There are very few freaks that fit BB's requirements for a 1st round LBer. Note that Crable fit the criteria, as did the aforementioned Woods and Redd. The Pats would ideally like to have guys like that IF they spend an early draft pick. Free agents cost nothing but cash and can generally be cut if they don't work out. They also have more of a proven history as LBers in the NFL which may offset the height disparity.

The Pats only recent departure from the 6'4/6-5 requirement would be Cunningham in round 2. But he's also 260+ lbs. He showed some flashes last season but failed just short of reaching the QB numerous time. Would an extra couple of inches of reach have led to more sacks and pressures? You've got to wonder if the physical requirements aren't there for a reason.

Wouldn't draft Von Miller for this defense unless he dropped to the 2nd round but that's not gonna happen. He fits 4-3 defenses very well. Could be the next Freeney in the right system. But that's just not our system.

Why would he have to change his system to put in a 6' 3" 246lb OLB?That is plenty big enough. I don't get it. Doesn't Harrison play OLB for the Steelers? Dumervile was dominating as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB. Check their size.

I could see if you were talking OLB Dontay Moch at 6'1" and 230lbs.
DW Toys
P.S. Why is it optimal to have a small ILB? I am not buying that one.

The key words out of the post you quoted in this one are "2-gap." That, along with "read and react," are what separate the Patriots' scheme from basically every other 3-4 scheme.

I ask this because other than McGinest who they inherited and Vrabel who they signed in 2001 the only other players who match those height requirements were undrafted special teamers Pierre Woods and Vince Redd (5 Games). You could maybe include Eric Moore this year but he was strictly used at DE except for the last game I believe. Maybe Matt Chatham another undrafted ST but I believe played mostly inside.

Every other OLB that I can remember who was brought in falls short (literally) of this requirement.

Rosevelt Colvin 6'3 250 and Roman Phifer 6'2 248 both very similar to Von Miller at 6'3 247.

Chad Brown 6'2 245
A. Thomas 6'2 270
Ninkovich 6'2 255
TBC 6'2 250
Burgess 6'2 260

It seems to me that they don't require the height even if they may desire it.

There is one other quote. Belichick mentioned it, and Caserio said something very similar. I believe the other quote also mentions being around 260 pounds.

As for the guys you mention:
Phifer was an ILB
Brown was an ILB
Thomas - 1 5/8 inches shy of 6'4", but had ideal weight at 270, a 4.56 40, very long arms, and NFL experience in a 3-4. Basically, had everything except height and a good attitude.
Ninkovich - Signed as a low-money free agent, 7/8 inches shy of 6'4"
TBC - 7th round pick
Burgess - subpackage DE, not OLB

Basically, the only OLBs that Belichick had anything invested in were Thomas (who was ideal in every aspect other than height) and Cunningham (who is ideal other than being 5/8 inches shy of 6'4"). Not a whole lot to go off right now.

Any chance Cameron Jordon is the second coming of Justin Tuck of the Giants?

Just going by his size, build and ranking.

Any chance Cameron Jordon is the second coming of Justin Tuck of the Giants?

Just going by his size, build and ranking.
Based strictly on the games I watched - no. Tuck was an energizer bunny, Jordan was the invisible man until the Senior Bowl.

Basically, the only OLBs that Belichick had anything invested in were Thomas (who was ideal in every aspect other than height) and Cunningham (who is ideal other than being 5/8 inches shy of 6'4"). Not a whole lot to go off right now.

Are you conveniently forgetting Colvin? Miller actually reminds me of Colvin a lot - before the hip injury. He is not as polished yet, but faster, quicker, and better pass rush ability.

By the way, speaking of AD - at 270 lbs, he was never a good edge setter. Not even in 2007 when he was moved to OLB at the end of the season. So there's a lot more than just weight to setting the edge.

Are you conveniently forgetting Colvin? Miller actually reminds me of Colvin a lot - before the hip injury. He is not as polished yet, but faster, quicker, and better pass rush ability.

By the way, speaking of AD - at 270 lbs, he was never a good edge setter. Not even in 2007 when he was moved to OLB at the end of the season. So there's a lot more than just weight to setting the edge.

How many different pass rushing moves have you witnessed from Miller?

The key words out of the post you quoted in this one are "2-gap." That, along with "read and react," are what separate the Patriots' scheme from basically every other 3-4 scheme.

There is one other quote. Belichick mentioned it, and Caserio said something very similar. I believe the other quote also mentions being around 260 pounds.

As for the guys you mention:
Phifer was an ILB
Brown was an ILB
Thomas - 1 5/8 inches shy of 6'4", but had ideal weight at 270, a 4.56 40, very long arms, and NFL experience in a 3-4. Basically, had everything except height and a good attitude.
Ninkovich - Signed as a low-money free agent, 7/8 inches shy of 6'4"
TBC - 7th round pick
Burgess - subpackage DE, not OLB

And Colvin. And Crable was a third rounder.

Phifer definitely played some OLB with the Pats.
C.Brown was listed because I tought he was originally brought in as a OLB option and moved to ILB as a necessity when TJ retired. Turns out he was all done anyway , regardless of position.
I thought Burgess played some OLB as well.

Just in from Tony Pauline of TFYDraft.com & SI –
”Eyebrows were raised when Northwestern linebacker Quentin Davie did not receive an invitation to the combine; he showed Tuesday why someone made a mistake. The 6-foot-4 Davie, who tipped the scales at 232 pounds, posted 40 times as fast as 4.68 seconds and a vertical jump of 35 inches. The 40 time was faster than all but six linebackers who ran at the combine while the vertical jump was surpassed by just five in Indianapolis. Davie, who can be used at a variety of linebacker positions, has likely secured a spot for himself in the late rounds.":beersign

Right consider there's a difference between the prototype desired and what is actually available at the draft. There are very few freaks that fit BB's requirements for a 1st round LBer. Note that Crable fit the criteria, as did the aforementioned Woods and Redd. The Pats would ideally like to have guys like that IF they spend an early draft pick. Free agents cost nothing but cash and can generally be cut if they don't work out. They also have more of a proven history as LBers in the NFL which may offset the height disparity.

The Pats only recent departure from the 6'4/6-5 requirement would be Cunningham in round 2. But he's also 260+ lbs. He showed some flashes last season but failed just short of reaching the QB numerous time. Would an extra couple of inches of reach have led to more sacks and pressures? You've got to wonder if the physical requirements aren't there for a reason.

Wouldn't draft Von Miller for this defense unless he dropped to the 2nd round but that's not gonna happen. He fits 4-3 defenses very well. Could be the next Freeney in the right system. But that's just not our system.

I do not think there is a must have height or weight limit in BB's mind on the OLB players, but there must be proof that a player who lacks ideal measurables can do the job. ie Thomas lacked the hieght, but had the speed and weight.

In my mind, Miller only works if he is protected by the scheme and that involves moving Wilfork to DE.

When scouting for BB 3-4 OLB type players you have to look for the big three plus one.

1.) Ability to set a hard edge in the the run game against NFL size OT's. Must be able to shed and tackle at the POA without giving up ground at the LOS.

2.) Must be able to rush the passer without losing gap intregity. Not many players can do this, it involves a lot of hand to hand combat as well as strength. The more violent a players hands the better.

3.) Must be able to drop into coverage and have the speed AND change of direction necessary to stay with TE's, FB's or even RB's. 3 cone drill and 10 yard split times on the 40 are a good indication of if a player can be successful at this with proper coaching on technique.

4.) In order to be a 1st round OLB pick for BB, a player must be good at all three and be able to play four downs. And remember BB does not project, if it isn't on tape, he is not going to use a first round pick on a player who might project to be able to do it.

Not many players fit this profile and if you name every 3-4 OLB hopeful int his draft, I can name something on this list that the player you name can't do or has not shown on tape that they can do.

On the other hand I can name several players that have just one or two warts that BB might be tempted to take in the first round this year. Quinn and Kerrigan.

Later in the draft, I really like Keiser of Stanford and think that in our defense he might have the most upside.

I do not think there is a must have height or weight limit in BB's mind on the OLB players, but there must be proof that a player who lacks ideal measurables can do the job. ie Thomas lacked the hieght, but had the speed and weight.

In my mind, Miller only works if he is protected by the scheme and that involves moving Wilfork to DE.

When scouting for BB 3-4 OLB type players you have to look for the big three plus one.

1.) Ability to set a hard edge in the the run game against NFL size OT's. Must be able to shed and tackle at the POA without giving up ground at the LOS.

2.) Must be able to rush the passer without losing gap intregity. Not many players can do this, it involves a lot of hand to hand combat as well as strength. The more violent a players hands the better.

3.) Must be able to drop into coverage and have the speed AND change of direction necessary to stay with TE's, FB's or even RB's. 3 cone drill and 10 yard split times on the 40 are a good indication of if a player can be successful at this with proper coaching on technique.

4.) In order to be a 1st round OLB pick for BB, a player must be good at all three and be able to play four downs. And remember BB does not project, if it isn't on tape, he is not going to use a first round pick on a player who might project to be able to do it.

Not many players fit this profile and if you name every 3-4 OLB hopeful int his draft, I can name something on this list that the player you name can't do or has not shown on tape that they can do.

On the other hand I can name several players that have just one or two warts that BB might be tempted to take in the first round this year. Quinn and Kerrigan.

Later in the draft, I really like Keiser of Stanford and think that in our defense he might have the most upside.

That is a great post. Can I ask what players you think there are currently in the league, let alone the draft, who fit this description? It seems this ideal is so difficult to attain in reality. Bill perhaps has to be a bit less demanding with his requirements going forward.

That is a great post. Can I ask what players you think there are currently in the league, let alone the draft, who fit this description? It seems this ideal is so difficult to attain in reality. Bill perhaps has to be a bit less demanding with his requirements going forward.

IDK that this is all that "demanding".

To me, BB's philosophy appears to be that a guy needs to be able to stop big plays first and make big plays second. What that means to me in this context is that BB is going to prefer guys who are proven run defenders whose pass-rush might be a little weak over guys who have put up great college pass-rush stats but who haven't shown much in run defense. IOW, BB would rather have a guy he's confident can step onto the field and keep an RB from breaking one for a long gain, even if he doesn't get to the QB very often, than have a guy who gets to the QB 10 times but allows 10 long gains by RBs. Even better if the guy can stick close enough to a TE or RB in a shallow pass pattern and at least make the tackle for no YAC.

Maybe more simply, BB prefers a true defender who can learn how to attack over an attacker who needs to learn how to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST