PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's Integrity* on display again: league hid $100M+ from players to keep salary cap down

Status
Not open for further replies.
The good news is this completely undermines the contention by the league that Goodell can be trusted to act in good faith. If the judges on the appeals court get wind of this it should certainly raise questions for them about his purported absolute authority.

The good news is this completely undermines the contention by the league that Goodell can be trusted to act in good faith. If the judges on the appeals court get wind of this it should certainly raise questions for them about his purported absolute authority.
To he honest more of the blame on this one should probably go towards the owners but, Goodell is no innocent bystander here by any means.

To he honest more of the blame on this one should probably go towards the owners but, Goodell is no innocent bystander here by any means.

I'm not excusing the owners as I believe they were entirely complicit however this really reeks of Goodell and his minions counseling them that they could get away with it, and it really demonstrates the complete lack of accountability there is for Goodell and his cronies. The NFLPA should make it clear that the can no longer accept Goodell as someone who can be trusted and refuse to deal with him in the future, if that means a strike they should give the league until September 1st to replace him and then walk out. I don't believe the owners would lose games to save Goodell.

Never happen but in my fantasy world the NFLPA demands a dollar for dollar addition to the salary cap aggregate for every dollar paid to the commissioner. Just to F with the 32.

As expected the league is claiming it is just a disagreement over accounting.

If it was " just a disagreement over accounting" then why did they hide it?
While technically true it's like saying murder is just a disagreement over whether someone should continue living.

Why do people think this is a matter of incompetence?

I'm not seeing that, at least about the League office, in this case. In other cases, yes, but not in this one.
The NFLPA apparently simply missed it for three years, which sounds like incompetence.

If I was the NFLPA I would not sign another CBA without getting guaranteed contracts. The NFL is the only one of the professional sports league, where a contract isn't really worth the paper its written on. Guaranteed contracts would be tough on the teams and the salary cap, but if I'm the NFLPA, I'm not signing any CBA without it.

There's nothing stopping players from getting guaranteed contracts now. There's no rule against it. And hell, big-name free agents get over (often well over) half the contract value guaranteed.

Contracts aren't fully-guaranteed because players would rather roll the dice on not getting hurt/cut and playing for a higher-value not-fully-guaranteed contract.

But if a player insisted on a fully-guaranteed contract he'd get one once his lowered his salary demands enough.

There's nothing stopping players from getting guaranteed contracts now. There's no rule against it. And hell, big-name free agents get over (often well over) half the contract value guaranteed.

Contracts aren't fully-guaranteed because players would rather roll the dice on not getting hurt/cut and playing for a higher-value not-fully-guaranteed contract.

But if a player insisted on a fully-guaranteed contract he'd get one once his lowered his salary demands enough.

Markazi: Why NBA beats NFL in guaranteed $

I'm curious as to how Solder got 100% guaranteed contract.
When you look at all the numbers, its not that bad of a deal for both sides.

20th in total value
6th in AAV
8th in total guaranteed $

There are a few other LTs that have 100% guaranteed that are Top 10ish at the position.

At the end of the day it depends on if you think Solder is a Top 10 LT

Left Tackle Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

Last edited:
I highly highly doubt they'd win that battle. They should make canning Goodell a sticking point. Ideally (in my opinion), the NFLPA and owners should agree on a commisoner canindate.

The identity of the Commissioner is a red herring. The issue is about how the relationships are structured. If the focus is on Goodell, and he leaves the job, then the same problems resurface with the next guy.

I'd suggest that the next round of negotiations focus on the job, not the person. Take the Commissioners job completely out of dealing with the players and teams at all; no rules interpretations, no penalties, none of that. Have all of that be entirely done through independent panels. That circumscribes the Commissioner's role to just dealing with the owners as owners. Then, who cares who they appoint? It is entirely their business.

The identity of the Commissioner is a red herring. The issue is about how the relationships are structured. If the focus is on Goodell, and he leaves the job, then the same problems resurface with the next guy.

I'd suggest that the next round of negotiations focus on the job, not the person. Take the Commissioners job completely out of dealing with the players and teams at all; no rules interpretations, no penalties, none of that. Have all of that be entirely done through independent panels. That circumscribes the Commissioner's role to just dealing with the owners as owners. Then, who cares who they appoint? It is entirely their business.
I like that idea. But, there wasn't anywhere near the amount of problems with Tagliabue as there are with Goodell. But, I love your idea.

The NHL, NBA and MLB have similar structures.

If this was honestly a 9-figure accounting error, then heads should roll in the accounting department. Of course, we all know that that is not going to happen.

It's amazing how what we have is essentially one group of people embezzling ~$50 million from another group of people - and not a single person or the government is going to do a darn thing about it (beyond the arbitrator ruling that they have to give it back). These people really do live in another world.

This does seem like the kind of thing that is possible for a group of owners to hang off of Goodell's neck if the so desired

If this was honestly a 9-figure accounting error, then heads should roll in the accounting department. Of course, we all know that that is not going to happen.

It's amazing how what we have is essentially one group of people embezzling ~$50 million from another group of people - and not a single person or the government is going to do a darn thing about it (beyond the arbitrator ruling that they have to give it back). These people really do live in another world.

I was listening to a union guy on Mike & Mike this am, and he said once they found the error (the NFL had taken a portion of the ticket revenue out of the joint pool (by claiming that it would be used for something like stadium improvements)). The NFLPA found it during an audit and then the NFLPA went to their "business partner" and said, "this is not authorized by the CBA please put the money back". What did Goodell tell the NFLPA, "were right, you go ahead and sue us", so they did.

For the NFL to say that this was an accounting error IS A FLAT OUT LIE!! They were trying to steal money from the NFLPA and once they got called out on it, they still refused to admit their mistake.

To be fair it is more like certain expenses were put into a category that was exempt from the cap calculation. The league "believed" it belonged there the NFLPA disagreed and won their appeal.

It's not like they didnt report the money. They are millions maybe billions of expenses that go Into that category. Apparently the league tried to be creative with what they snuck in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents