PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's Integrity* on display again: league hid $100M+ from players to keep salary cap down

Status
Not open for further replies.
As expected the league is claiming it is just a disagreement over accounting.

If it was " just a disagreement over accounting" then why did they hide it?

The union should probably call a strike next season. You're at a point where public opinion is fully against the NFL. There's really no better time to do it.

Unfortunately, it's not about public opinion as much as it is about having the money to skip paychecks.

Injured players still get paid under the current system. Its the second string tackle who gets cut for the rookie locked up for 4 years on the cheap that needs the guaranteed contracts. Don't confuse what the union wants with what is best for the NFL as a league. People do this all the time with unions such as the teacher's union, they want to ask the union what is best for the students, when the definition of a union is to do what's best for your members, not the entity that you are a part of. The NFLPA needs to fight for guaranteed contracts for their members, if that is good or bad for the NFL as a whole is irrelevant.
You are missing my point.
The union does not gain a nickel for their members by guaranteeing contracts. In your example the scrub with the guaranteed contract means you can't lock up the rookie for 4 years. There is a finite amount of money. If you guarantee contracts you are forcing more money to be spent on players less deserving of it, and the players deserving more money would not be able to get it.

It's the basic union dilemma. Do I push for higher pay, which means more members will not have jobs or do I push for job security which means those with jobs make less than was possible.

If I was the NFLPA I would not sign another CBA without getting guaranteed contracts. The NFL is the only one of the professional sports league, where a contract isn't really worth the paper its written on. Guaranteed contracts would be tough on the teams and the salary cap, but if I'm the NFLPA, I'm not signing any CBA without it.
I highly highly doubt they'd win that battle. They should make canning Goodell a sticking point. Ideally (in my opinion), the NFLPA and owners should agree on a commisoner canindate.

I highly highly doubt they'd win that battle. They should make canning Goodell a sticking point. Ideally (in my opinion), the NFLPA and owners should agree on a commisoner canindate.

That would be incredible.....The NFLPA doesn't agree to ANY deal if it includes Goodell remaining in power.

Higher salary cap with higher veteran and rookie minimums, renegotiated pension scheme, public financials, opening research on CTE to public, and end to Goodellian Terror (though, despite Patriots' fans issues with him, the person of commissioner doesn't mean as much as removing the commissioner's right to discipline by fiat) should be minimum demands.

Increasing wages and benefits are always good as a union demand; concussion research has a ton of public support; public financials increase the likelihood for better negotiations in the future; and the discipline thing is totally bogus.

That would be incredible.....The NFLPA doesn't agree to ANY deal if it includes Goodell remaining in power.
I don't know why they are so stuck on the guy. He makes like 40 mill a year and is horrible. Only good thing he does is shoulder the majority of the blame for the owner's dbaggery.

I don't know why they are so stuck on the guy. He makes like 40 mill a year and is horrible. Only good thing he does is shoulder the majority of the blame for the owner's dbaggery.

You answered your own question.

Goodell stepping down is the kind of demand you put forward knowing you would take it off the table if they push back. It's not so much the person of the commissioner so much as what power he has.

You answered your own question.
You should be able to find someone for significantly less money who can do that. The NFL owners and Goodell have made a complete mockery of the CBA.

part of goodell's job is tho look like the ****head for the ownership.........owners have been looking like ****heads lately......something will have to change

part of goodell's job is tho look like the ****head for the ownership.........owners have been looking like ****heads lately......something will have to change
Can the players threaten to go after the anti trust if the NFL doesn't start following the CBA or is that something that would never hold water?

Can the players threaten to go after the anti trust if the NFL doesn't start following the CBA or is that something that would never hold water?
AntiTrust exemption helps the players too.
Its not that there is a clear cut 'NFL doesn't follow the CBA' it is about catching violations and about interpretation. And in some cases you end up in appeals court over it.

The NFL Commissioner, according to its Constitution is supposed to be a person of "unquestioned integrity" http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf section 8.1

This happened on his watch, so he must have had "general awareness" of it but this impacts his "integrity*" and should be grounds for dismissal....in my mind.....
Dismissal by who? The owners he saved 120 mil for until he got caught?
Seriously, if you are the owners that is what you want. This kind of stuff gets him raises not fired.

The get him fired, you need him dealing with players, rights groups supporting victims he has treated with kid gloves, and above all judges, where he is made to look like an incompetent boob.
Finding out the books got cooked a little to reduce the payroll expense is not something the owners would have an issue with.

Dismissal by who? The owners he saved 120 mil for until he got caught?
Seriously, if you are the owners that is what you want. This kind of stuff gets him raises not fired.
You're right. I forgot we have a few NFL owners who are experts at "cooking the books" and have been found liable for such by juries...................

I don't have an answer

Finding out the books got cooked a little to reduce the payroll expense is not something the owners would have an issue with.

"The integrity of the game is the most important thing."

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes