PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Worst fanbases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samus:

I respect your opinions, but I still disagree on some points.

Thank you, and ditto. :)

First, as the article indicates, Florida already had two NFL teams before the Jags were added. Granted, Florida's a large state, but still. I've heard the argument that the NFL was trying to win over "transplant" fans, but I don't think that holds water because Jacksonville is in far northern Florida, whereas I believe most transplants are in southern Florida.

Well, as I said, Jacksonville is growing. Miami's population has grown as well, but not as much as Jacksonville's has. Again, I think the NFL's reasoning was good in putting a franchise there. It isn't that far fetched to think that a populous state can support three franchises in a relatively close proximity; California did it for a time in the L.A. area, while the Oakland/San Fransisco Bay Area has had two teams nearby for awhile now.

But I can see there were flaws in the NFL's plans.

I'll admit that even if the AFC team had gone to Baltimore and not Jax, that doesn't mean the Browns wouldn't have left Cleveland. That was all but certain with the predicament Modell had gotten himself into. BUT with the way it turned out, there was such a backlash that the league felt it had no choice but to promise to restore the Browns in Cleveland within five years, which necessitated making the new Browns an expansion club, which in turn necessitated adding yet another expansion club to restore an even number of teams. As a result the league is in danger of becoming a diluted product because even with all the college football programs in the country, there just aren't that many NFL-caliber players to go around. (Though I'll admit that the new alignment of eight four-team divisions works rather well.)

This point I definitely agree with, in a way. I'm no longer in favor of more expansion, but wasn't against it before the total reached 32 teams.

So I still feel that the league IS still being bitten in the ass because of the relocation/expansion snafu created by blowing off Baltimore and St. Louis. I have nothing against the Jaguars or their fans, but I do feel very strongly that it would have been much better for the league as a whole had that franchise gone somewhere else.

I understand your point. But I have faith in Jacksonville. It will take time, but I already feel that passion is growing as is tradition, and once we start avoiding blackouts and the fanbase grows, Jacksonville will be able to pull their weight so to speak as pertaining to league revenue.

Finally, I would like to clarify that I wasn't saying I believed Jacksonville people aren't into football, I was just trying to explain why there seemed to be issues with attendance/blackouts. I was not aware that the games actually were selling out, just not by the blackout deadline. I also read last year in an article (can't remember the source, maybe it was CBS Sports) that the economy down there wasn't that good which was likely contributing to the drop in ticket sales. Granted, no one can predict that kind of stuff over a decade down the road.

Like I said, that is why blackouts are imposed. If the fans can't get the game on TV, they'll likely shell out some money for those last seats remaining, thus selling out the stadium and ensuring the league gets its money.

One last thing - when you said Jax had one major league franchise, were you referring to the Bulls of the USFL?

I was actually referring to the Jags. I was pointing out that the Jaguars have no "competition" to speak in getting attention. They are the only major sports franchise there and thus are the only team many kids there grew up watching. No NBA, no NHL, no MLB. Just the Jags and good NFL football. :)

Last edited:
I don't know any pats fans where I live (in maryland), but I do know hundreds of yankee/ cowboys, colts or steeler fans. I can't say I agree with that claim that the pats fans are 98% bandwagoners because 98% of the football world are bandwagon haters. Obviously when your franchise is in shambles and living in the shadow of a team like the Red sox in your region, the interest is going to be down. Krafty bob turned that around, and obviously more people in your fanbase are going to watch when you're winning. When isn't that true? The fans in the razor did irritate me last season though, whenever it was a close game when it shouldn't have been.

Typical ignorant charger fan. It isn't that you have one city, it is your city has crappy fans.

San Diego is the eighth largest city in the US by population.

There are more people within 5 miles of your stadium than almost every other NFL stadium. Do the math.

You have more people within 30 miles of your stadium than most other stadiums, most of which sell out.

Green Bay has about a tenth the population of San Diego and it sells out every game and has a huge waiting list.

You have the numbers. You just don't have a decent fan base.

Do the math.

Wow, you sure dont know what youre talking about. More people within 5 miles of the stadium?? You haven't a clue. Ever lived in S. Cal? 50% of the population are transplants from cold crummy other states. That's why we have so many fans from other teams in the seats. What's the second closest NFL team to Boston? And just how many people from all of the states in NE are drawn to your fanbase? And you're comparing Green Bay to San Diego? Did you read the second paragraph of my post? Dont get pissy because you're part of the 4th worst fanbase. :eek:

Last edited:
Which is why the San Diego Chargers will soon be the L.A. Chargers. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Now Kontra, as much time as you spend on the Chargers forum, you of all people should know that wont happen.

Wow, you sure dont know what youre talking about. More people within 5 miles of the stadium?? You haven't a clue. Ever lived in S. Cal?
Spent lots of time in San Diego with the Navy and I know where the stadium is and about how many people live within 5 miles of it. More than live within 5 miles of most NFL stadiums.

50% of the population are transplants from cold crummy other states.
First, that's irrelevant to your claim that you don't have many people living near the stadium. Where ever they comer from, there are a lot of people within 5 miles of your stadium. Very few stadiums have more people living within 5 miles. Seattle, maybe.

Second, it's not true. It just seems that way to you because the transplants are so much more interesting it just feels like there are more of them.

And you're comparing Green Bay to San Diego?
Only to state thate Green Bay has about 1% of the population that San Diego does and they sell out. There is certainly no comparison to the fans of Green Bay and the fans of San Diego. On that you and I are in full agreement.

Did you read the second paragraph of my post?
Yep. I quote youkr post below so you can read the second paragraph yourself and realize how goofy it is. You are saying somehow that the 8th largest city in hte USA cannot sell out it's seats because they all live in one state. Sorry, bud. You have more than enough folks to sell out. More folks within driving distance than a lot of teams that sell out. The problem is that you have crappy fans who don't care about the Chargers. (And in all honesty, who can blame them?)

. . The Chargers were granted a 24-hour extension by the NFL to try to sell 600 remaining tickets and lift the local television blackout of their opener vs. the Panthers.

When will you people get it? The driving issue for the non-sellouts is the locality of SD. You have how many states to encompass your fan base?? We're geographically limited by the ocean to the west, mexico to the south, the desert/AZ fans to the east, and Raider fans to the north (LA). It boggles my mind how people dont get this. You have multiple states. We have one county. Do the math.

Not to mention, we have a plethora of things in this city that take away from potential seats being filled. This is sunny SD and you're in cold, not much to do, Boston. Hey, I've been to Boston, the town's cool. I love all its history. But, there's just more to do here. And it shows up in the late filled seats at Jack Murphy. They always sell out these days, so why does this worry you? Does it make Chargers fans less of a fan that its not sold out the day before? Nope, they already have their seats and will be in 'em watching the game.

I agree with your third paragraph, too. Football is way down on the list of your fans priorities. Right below watching boy bands and buying freu freu shirts.

Now Kontra, as much time as you spend on the Chargers forum, you of all people should know that wont happen.

BUMP.

I've actually just returned there after a little hiatus. Although I'm not sure how long I'll stay again. Too many juvenile 12 year old idiot fans (not saying we don't have any here) on that forum that are just looking for a fight with a Pats fan. I can't really talk football over there without getting trolled. There are some quality posters over there though, yourself and Dave included that I would love to come over here and shoot the breeze about Sundays but alas, I doubt that would happen.

Boston was a baseball town....in 1986. Boston is clearly as much if not more a football town and has been for a long time. Look at the evidence.

I agree w/ the author that Jax doesn't deserve an NFL team. In fact, I hope that if the league gives LA a franchise, it sends Jax there rather than expanding. However, that doesn't mean that Jax has the worst fanbase; it just means that it has an insufficient one. The team with the worst fanbase, IMHO, is Atlanta. That city does not support any of its teams, during neither good times nor bad times. And the support Michael Vick was given is the icing on the cake.

Re: Bull**** list

If being bandwagon fans is the reason we're number four on that list, then where the **** are the Cowboys?

In a league so far ahead of the rest of us that they're too strong to even put on this list, right alongside the Squealers.

So, I guess the implication is that if you can't tell me who Horace Ivory was, or what school Randy Vataha went to you're a bandwagon fan? (incidently, I can answer both of those- I merely used this point to show absurdity)

I agree w/ the author that Jax doesn't deserve an NFL team. In fact, I hope that if the league gives LA a franchise, it sends Jax there rather than expanding. However, that doesn't mean that Jax has the worst fanbase; it just means that it has an insufficient one. The team with the worst fanbase, IMHO, is Atlanta. That city does not support any of its teams, during neither good times nor bad times. And the support Michael Vick was given is the icing on the cake.

I have to say I agree, except that sending an AFC team to L.A. would screw up the AFC West division. Granted you could just as easily put Kansas City in the South, but one of the best things about that division is that all the teams are from the AFL.

As for Atlanta - granted I haven't been there since I was a little kid, but I thought everyone loved the Braves down there.

I agree that Jax-to-LA would screw-up the divisions, and the conferences, too - the league would probably place the LA franchise in the NFCW. But I most def. don't want expansion.

The Braves didn't even sell out their PO games, and reg. season attendance was a joke - and that was during the salad days of the 90s.

I agree that Jax-to-LA would screw-up the divisions, and the conferences, too - the league would probably place the LA franchise in the NFCW. But I most def. don't want expansion.

The Braves didn't even sell out their PO games, and reg. season attendance was a joke - and that was during the salad days of the 90s.

Mmmm....Salad Days [/homer]

Has Homer ever had a salad? A donut salad, maybe.

Mmm...donuts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye