PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Suspension and Boycott begins at my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is exactly what I said but that doesn't change the fact the NFL won't notice. They are the target of this boycott. I'm not trying to disparage the way people want to show their frustration with the league. There are just some methods I don't understand the rationale of.

For anyone who's waiting for an acknowledgement and apology from the league, I have some personal advice for you:

Never...going...to...happen

For anyone who's waiting for an acknowledgement and apology from the league, I have some personal advice for you:

Never...going...to...happen

So we should all crawl back to the NFL like a beaten, abused woman goes back to her man because he knows how to show her a good time? Got it.

Ice.....we are brothers in arms. I will DVR Pats games when available in my market and fast forward past the 100+ commercials to watch the 11 minutes of real Pats action. To counter the guilt I know I will feel by watching a Roger Goodell orchestrated event, I will boycott all products I spy advertising during these games as I fast forward past the swill. I will wipe my butt with sand paper if Charmin advertises.
I am glad the Celtics are on an upswing because 11 minutes of NFL each week (plus PatsFans) leaves a lot of extra time. I might even read a book. Anyone know what they look like?

So we should all crawl back to the NFL like a beaten, abused woman goes back to her man because he knows how to show her a good time? Got it.
Not at all. You don't get the gist of my Jackal reference above. Of course, I'm not suggesting real violence in the course of solving the problem.

You need to hit them where it hurts. And, you must target them at their vulnerable spots, and when they're not expecting it. Whether it's legal injunctions, infiltration, whatever. Once they're exposed, there'll be no going back, and the media sheep will naturally back track like the irrelevant fools they are. I'm not personally worried about sharing anything here, because I don't believe the league is aware or smart enough to respond even if they did see this.

To the extent that we watch the games, we can learn and be in touch with what's happening, on the field and in the broadcast booth. Don't forget that the product suffers from some highly detrimental actions taken by the NFL in the last ten years to hurt the game and all its participants, including the officials, above and beyond the Patriots abuse.

I am though, first and foremost, a Patriots fan. My displeasure dates back generations. I'm not the most objective person to lead a takedown. Honestly, beyond hurting financial interests, I'm inclined toward inflicting pain, suffering and public humiliation.

I don't think anybody on this site has a problem with that.

Last edited:
Who gives a ****?

Are you this obtuse? Considering the title with 'boycott' as the subject I think someone cares. Boycotts are typically done to make someone notice to elicit some type of change. The entire point of this thread is to make the NFL hurt. To show them that people won't put up with their railroading of Brady. The OP and plenty of others in this thread care otherwise it wouldn't exist. If the NFL doesn't notice then there is no point.

Are you this obtuse? Considering the title with 'boycott' as the subject I think someone cares. Boycotts are typically done to make someone notice to elicit some type of change. The entire point of this thread is to make the NFL hurt. To show them that people won't put up with their railroading of Brady. The OP and plenty of others in this thread care otherwise it wouldn't exist. If the NFL doesn't notice then there is no point.

Do you think most people here who are either boycotting or thinking of boycotting expect the rest of the football world to just rise up against Goodell, because a relative handful of people decide not to waste their time on the NFL for some while? Or, do you think it's more likely that those people are doing what they think is the right thing?

Major League baseball hasn't noticed that I've not paid a single dime into their coffers since they took away the World Series. Still, I've not paid a single dime into Major League Baseball's coffers since they took away the world series. Which do you think is the primary motivation, there? I can assure you that it's not about getting MLB's attention.

Last edited:
Which is exactly what I said but that doesn't change the fact the NFL won't notice. They are the target of this boycott. I'm not trying to disparage the way people want to show their frustration with the league. There are just some methods I don't understand the rationale of.

I am not doing this to get the league's attention. I am doing this because I like to have higher standards for the activities and entertainment that occupies my time and money. I think Deus Irae summed it up very nicely. Regardless, you ought to rethink your idea that the NFL won't notice. At some point, revenue will stop increasing, as it always does, and that's when they begin to feel the bleed and realize that alienating customers was a huge mistake. With all business, everything is great when its booming, but then momentum shifts. As revenue increases, so do operating costs and salaries. I am willing to bet my life that sometime in the not so distant future, the owners will be very distraught about the finances of the NFL and will look back on these booming days of profit, trying to reclaim them. Nothing lasts forever. A time to sow and a time to reap.

I realize that some of these products are partnerships and not fully the NFL, but just for the heck of it, let's go through one year of what I typically purchase.

Television watching is on average about $.04 per 60 second ad for each viewer. I typically watch 4 NFL games per week, a lets just estimate that's also 4 hours of ads. We will round off to $8 per week in ad revenue. Multiply that X 20 for average with preseason, playoffs, etc. That's $160 per year in ad revenue. Also used to watch a lot of ESPN and NFL Network, I'd say half the number of hours of NFL. Add another $80 for those networks.

I'm really not sure how much ESPN.com, NFL.com, and fantasy football partners would get from me, but I am a heavy web user and sports fan. Based on some figures I read, let's just guess $50 per year combined for ad revenue. I was also an ESPN Insider subscriber and canceled that, which was $15.

Sunday Ticket is about $350 per year with mobile streaming included.

Merchandise I'll estimate $50 per year, though many would spend more than me. I'm just not a big apparel guy.

Face value for tickets is roughly $300 for my wife and I. Add in concessions, parking, etc. and we'll say $400. I try to do a game every other year, so $200 per year.

For a grand total of $905 annually...I realize this is not scientific and I'm sure some of these numbers aren't exact, but I'm also sure I spend a lot of time and money n the NFL, so something close to $1,000 would have been my guess before compiling this. Keep in mind they are pulling I something like 12,000,000,000. That's a mind boggling number. They make a lot of money on each customer, particular more active ones like myself.

Just rounding up to $1,000 for me, let's go a little further.

1,000 in revenue losses for the NFL in 2016. But let's multiply that over the next 30 years. 30,000 loss for the NFL. My kids will certainly not be "carrying the torch either" so their lack of interest will likely at least double mine. There are two of them, and if not for Defamegate, I'm sure they would have been lifers. Is it that inconceivable the NFL will suffer over a $100,000 loss from this disgusting sham suspension? I don't think it's that far out of the question.

Will they notice? I don't know. I do know that an additional $100,000 will not be in the bank accounts of those lying scumbags, though.

Last edited:
I am not doing this to get the league's attention. I am doing this because I like to have higher standards for the activities and entertainment that occupies my time and money. I think Deus Irae summed it up very nicely. Regardless, you ought to rethink your idea that the NFL won't notice. At some point, revenue will stop increasing, as it always does, and that's when they begin to feel the bleed and realize that alienating customers was a huge mistake. With all business, everything is great when its booming, but then momentum shifts. As revenue increases, so do operating costs and salaries. I am willing to bet my life that sometime in the not so distant future, the owners will be very distraught about the finances of the NFL and will look back on these booming days of profit, trying to reclaim them. Nothing lasts forever. A time to sow and a time to reap.

I realize that some of these products are partnerships and not fully the NFL, but just for the heck of it, let's go through one year of what I typically purchase.

Television watching is on average about $.04 per 60 second ad for each viewer. I typically watch 4 NFL games per week, a lets just estimate that's also 4 hours of ads. We will round off to $8 per week in ad revenue. Multiply that X 20 for average with preseason, playoffs, etc. That's $160 per year in ad revenue. Also used to watch a lot of ESPN and NFL Network, I'd say half the number of hours of NFL. Add another $80 for those networks.

I'm really not sure how much ESPN.com, NFL.com, and fantasy football partners would get from me, but I am a heavy web user and sports fan. Based on some figures I read, let's just guess $50 per year combined for ad revenue. I was also an ESPN Insider subscriber and canceled that, which was $15.

Sunday Ticket is about $350 per year with mobile streaming included.

Merchandise I'll estimate $50 per year, though many would spend more than me. I'm just not a big apparel guy.

Face value for tickets is roughly $300 for my wife and I. Add in concessions, parking, etc. and we'll say $400. I try to do a game every other year, so $200 per year.

For a grand total of $905 annually...I realize this is not scientific and I'm sure some of these numbers aren't exact, but I'm also sure I spend a lot of time and money n the NFL, so something close to $1,000 would have been my guess before compiling this. Keep in mind they are pulling I something like 12,000,000,000. That's a mind boggling number. They make a lot of money on each customer, particular more active ones like myself.

Just rounding up to $1,000 for me, let's go a little further.

1,000 in revenue losses for the NFL in 2016. But let's multiply that over the next 30 years. 30,000 loss for the NFL. My kids will certainly not be "carrying the torch either" so their lack of interest will likely at least double mine. There are two of them, and if not for Defamegate, I'm sure they would have been lifers. Is it that inconceivable the NFL will suffer over a $100,000 loss from this disgusting sham suspension? I don't think it's that far out of the question.

Will they notice? I don't know. I do know that an additional $100,000 will not be in the bank accounts of those lying scumbags, though.

One year, I spent around $850 on Patriots stuff, and I'm a broke mother****er. I can honestly say that'll never, ever happen again, no matter how much money in the bank I get.

Well I never said they wouldn't notice the decrease in revenue. I specifically said in an earlier post in The thread that canceling subscriptions and cable packages and not purchasing merchandise IS an effective way to boycott. I just didn't think not watching nationally televised games on tv was. That was the only contention I had with the NFL not noticing. I fully believe they would notice if enough fans stopped purchasing things but ignoring something that is already free seems pointless.

Again I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about why they are not watching. All I was stating was why I didn't understand it as a form of protest especially when there are other players on the team. If it was giving up the NFL for good I could understand but quitting for only 4 weeks then coming right back feels counterproductive.

Major League baseball hasn't noticed that I've not paid a single dime into their coffers since they took away the World Series.
Just curious what you meant by that. Are you referring to regular-season inter-league play?

Do you think most people here who are either boycotting or thinking of boycotting expect the rest of the football world to just rise up against Goodell, because a relative handful of people decide not to waste their time on the NFL for some while? Or, do you think it's more likely that those people are doing what they think is the right thing?

Major League baseball hasn't noticed that I've not paid a single dime into their coffers since they took away the World Series. Still, I've not paid a single dime into Major League Baseball's coffers since they took away the world series. Which do you think is the primary motivation, there? I can assure you that it's not about getting MLB's attention.

I was 12 years old in 1994. I loved the Red Sox and the Blue Jays, probably because some kids tend to like the good teams of that day and the Blue Jays were the back-to-back defending champs. I was also fascinated by the SkyDome and its retractable roof.

We didn't have a lot of money. We weren't poor but couldn't afford to vacation that much either. One night my dad surprised me by asking me to fold some laundry...hidden in the laundry were four shiny, hologrammed tickets to a game in Toronto against the Red Sox. I hit a maximum joy level and jumped up and down...we talked for weeks about what we would do in Toronto, getting an autograph from Joe Carter, who would pitch, where we would be sitting.

I would up buying a baseball cap after eating at a Chinese restaurant in Toronto. I still remember the meal vividly because it was the highlight of the trip. The millionaire players and billionaire owners probably wouldn't have eaten there because it would be beneath them, but it was good enough for us. The strike started one week before the game.

Looking back, that epic disappointment probably contributed more to my ultimate rejection of MLB than the steroids. It was hard for my dad to explain why the game was cancelled.

I enjoy watching football. I will not let goodell take that away from me to by volunteering to throw myself on the sword. When you do that he wins again. My opinion.

Haven't watched a non-Saux World series game since the Big Red Machine in the mid seventies. And to be completely honest, the 4+ hour Saux-Yankee playoff games last decade pushed me over the edge and I can only stomach a few innings max these days. I like the idea of baseball better than the game itself. I'm starting to feel the same about the NFL. This 24/7/365 NFL overdose where the business of football has been pushed to the forefront......too much.....jumped the shark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST