PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Suspension and Boycott begins at my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
These fans who ignore this need to be reminded early and often, that any success they have vs the Pats is tainted.
Ehh, you're preparing for failure. I don't think they'll have much success against the Pats anyway.

Ehh, you're preparing for failure. I don't think they'll have much success against the Pats anyway.

Nope, not preparing for failure at all. Just pointing out that the season is tainted.

Even if the Pats win the Superbowl, the result is tainted because the Pats were unfairly forced to overcome an unreasonable penalty from a non-existant offense.

The effect carries over to future seasons since a 1st rounder is likely to be a core player.

Another form of protest, if you will, is that I'd like seeing Pats fans making it known, early and often, that this entire season is tainted, due to the Brady suspension and lost 1st round draft pick.

Other teams cannot be allowed to believe that they have emerged victorious when there was a finger on the scales helping them.

I looked at a rodent messageboard and they were discussing whether this is the year they could finally dethrone the Pats.

They point out that the Pats will be without Brady for four games, and take it as a given of the current state of affairs, like injuries or emerging rookies, without a mention of the fact that the Pats are being severely punished for an offense they did not commit, as the NFL* tries to forcibly inflict parity on the league.

These fans who ignore this need to be reminded early and often, that any success they have vs the Pats is tainted.
I agree. I was tempted to go on AZ boards and ask fans, if you beat the Pats on opening night (which I expect, unfortunately), how can you feel like this is a good win? The commissioner of the league cheated your opponent to prevent it from putting its best player on the field. Any win against the Pats without Brady is tainted and tells you nothing about your team, except that they needed a tainted, immoral hand up from Herr commissioner in order to win.

I, for one, hope Karma is real.

I just had to post this somewhere, and this thread makes sense...

CrjszBGWIAEAR2S.jpg

I agree. I was tempted to go on AZ boards and ask fans, if you beat the Pats on opening night (which I expect, unfortunately), how can you feel like this is a good win? The commissioner of the league cheated your opponent to prevent it from putting its best player on the field. Any win against the Pats without Brady is tainted and tells you nothing about your team, except that they needed a tainted, immoral hand up from Herr commissioner in order to win.

I, for one, hope Karma is real.

you ever feel different because a patriots opponent is missing one of their top players?

Last year I said I was thinking about not watching NFL games anymore. When I said it, though, I knew it was BS and I love football too much, and I am too weak. So I knew when the time came I would give in and watch.

However, last season I found myself missing watching Pats games and not participating in the forums as much. Not watching the games was unintentional....I just simply wasn't interested/not in the mood. So I realized after the season that deflategate has deflated me for the season.

I haven't seen any preseason games and I don't know if I'll watch the opener. Perhaps I need more time to recover from deflategate. I do know that I feel the same as the beginning of last season.....not interested and not in the mood. Deflategate may have permanently ruined my love of football.

I'll probably get back to loving football again and continue to watch but it probably won't be for some time. As for this season, it will be like last year. It will be a week to week decision based on my mood.
I understand. Best wishes, and life's too precious to waste!:)

Right, I gotcha. Your main point, to me, it seems is that you want to give as little money to the NFL as possible. Rather than being one of the millions to tune into something like the SB, might as well watch it at someone else's place or the bar. You know what I mean? That way you don't cut off your nose to spite your face and give the NFL money on its biggest day of the year.

As little money and as little time. Even if the money had nothing to do with it, I would not watch. The point isn't solely to avoid being tabulated as a customer - that's just a bonus; it's more about choosing not to watch and to cease being interested in the NFL's entertainment product. There are just so many other options out there; I hope I don't sound a jack@ss saying this on a football message board, and I'm not trying to put anyone down for loving the NFL and wanting to continue watching it for entertainment. That's all good. For me, this is just something that pushes me over the edge, seeing how truly bad and cowardly these people are. Knowing that this office in NYC is responsible for virtually all of the marketing, the broadcasting, who gets hired, what gets shown, pretty much everything...for me personally, it ruins the idea of fun entertainment. I believe that everyone needs to have an outlet for some kind of fantasy or a part of their lives lived through others. Some people enjoy fantasy games or get really into novels or television shows and characters, some with politics, others in professional sports. I think it's a great thing to follow pro sports, and it has always left me with high feelings. I cannot attain those feelings any more with the NFL, after seeing the man behind the curtain is not in fact the wizard I came for. It's all good...I will find something else to enjoy and hope every Pats fan is blessed with another 20 years of greatness. There are many others in the entertainment industry who would sure do a lot for my time and money, people of higher ethics who care more about real integrity, and who care about my experience as their customer rather than making every decision for their own political gain like a caricatured Machiavellian prick (Goodell).

you ever feel different because a patriots opponent is missing one of their top players?
Yeah, you gotta treat it like an injury or coach's decision or whatever...such is life, and the games are played and you just want it to be fair & square on the field.

I just hope that people really realize what has happened here in the context of the last fifteen years and not just since January of 2015.

The NFL has actively marketed to you this image of Tom Brady ever since 2001, and you've bought into it because, hey, why the heck not??? The imagine seems real. Tom Brady is a man I've wanted to use a shining example to my kids, someone I want to emulate, someone I truly respect and look up to. I freakin' love Tom Brady. I have basically never seen this guy do anything negative. The way he goes about his business, the way he respects his coaches and teammates - wow. What a competitor and an underdog story to boot. I am in the Bay Area, and someone in my neighborhood actually knows Tom Sr. very well. What a guy. What a son. Just a genuine person from a great family, someone who should all admire.

Tom Brady's face is on Sunday Ticket advertisements, along with the NFLs logo. His poster on NFL Network. He is the first face you see on almost every broadcast, the shining example of excellence. How many times do you think you've seen his image as an advertisement? 10,000? More?

Why wouldn't you buy merchandise, tickets, develop on obsession for the league that he dominates?

And after fifteen years of spending your money and devoting your time to Tom Brady, certainly with some help of the league's marketing department and numerous programs that make sure you love, no you LOVE Tom Brady, what would you expect in return?

Would you expect that, at the very least, you would have been able to see an independent investigation, as promised, rather than a hatchet job?

Would you expect that the league would seek the scientific expertise of virtually ANY university of scientific organization that is not-for-profit, rather than going to a sham organization that is notorious for junk science and creating very believable lies? Do you remember way back then, when your original wishes were that the university is somewhere in Massachusetts like MIT, rather than somewhere in New York, for fear of bias. That was enough for you, but you would have taken any answer that was the truth. Do you realize how badly they wanted to stab you in the heart? Turns out, every university in the United States was just waiting to exonerate Tom Brady. Robert Blecker is basically the face of this cause, a man who hates the Patriots but was willing to put aside his sports allegiance and just look at the science. The NFL could have chosen ANY organization to exonerate Tom Brady...even in their own backyard who are Jets fans. Do you think they owed it to you, as a long-time supporter and customer, to merely follow through on their pledge to be objective? Or you don't realize the monumental lengths they went to in order to deny you with a fair answer? Not a SINGLE objective study has supported Exponent. Exponent. E-X-P-O-N-E-N-T. You'd like to continue doing business with a company that used a notorious tobacco propoganda agency, disguised as a scientific organization, for the sole purpose of making you feel terrible about your team and favorite player, all so that Roger Goodell could get an uptick in his favorability ratings and Jim Irsay could smoke his meth in peace?

Would you expect that the league would not actively attempt to turn your hero (who they've been selling to you as a hero for fifteen years) into a Lance Armstrong /Alex Rodriguez cheater, who you actively despise?

Would you expect in return for your business and loyalty that they might release clear information right from the beginning that suggests that your hero is actually innocent? If this were a criminal proceeding, the NFL office would all be in jail right now for failing to turn over pertinent evidence that would help the defendant's case against prosecution. So, do you think that your hero Tom Brady (who you've paid dearly to watch and support, lining the pockets of these very men) should have at least treated him with the same level of decency as a criminal defendant who may have committed a crime?

That's just the legal side there - what about the ethical side? What about the side that just says, hey, we are all human beings here living in a world and should live with decency. Let's not lie about each other. Let's not frame someone. Let's not purposely spread rumors we know to be false to ruin a man's reputation, particularly if that man's reputation is very important to a large group of people who have been paying us, you know, since we've been promoting this man's reputation for a very long time.

While you winced as celebrities made jokes about Tom Brady, while Charles Hayley basically called him something worse than a pedophile, while you were ashamed to wear your Patriots jersey and not sure how loud you should have been during the Super Bowl lead-up, while you felt guilty to be a fan of this team and questioned the previous fifteen years, while one former quarterback after another called Brady a liar and a cheat, while scientists, one by one, botched the IDL, while talk show hosts berated your favorite passion, while national news hosts ran stories about conspiracies, while you basically felt like a cheat, or worse, someone duped by a cheat...during all of this time...Roger Goodell and many others in the NFL front office watched the same thing, strategically formulating when they should release PSI numbers that would exonerate the Patriots, and exactly how and when to downplay those numbers by first finding a red herring to feed the dumb public, especially to you, a very dumb member of the dumb public.

Would you expect that, even with all of these lies to propagate the myth that Brady cheated, they might at least refrain from falsifying testimony, outright lying to you that your hero's conversations? Do you think you deserve better than that? How about being told that Brady wanted to keep the evidence under seal, when in fact the opposite was true?

This was all an exercise to make people feel better and not have to answer for their problems. You feel like crap so that some ignorant, stupid Colts fan could feel better. Those Jets fans sure were rejoicing while you were feeling very depressed. Do you like avoiding the comments section of every Patriots article posted for the last eighteen months because you don't want to hear the same false, yet widely accepted, statements over and over again? You were on the wrong end of a math equation. What's one Patriots fans' misery and anxiety if a 31:1 ratio will love us!!! What, you didn't enjoy Seahawks fans writing a petition because they deserved the Lombardi in 2015? That after ten years of heartbreaking losses, Super Bowl fluke catches, undefeated seasons going up in flames at the last second...did you enjoy the aftermath of being a world champion, sticking with your team with unwavering passion? Were you rewarded for your loyalty? Did you liker a bunch of players comparing the Patriots to the most reviled, illegitimate teams in sports history? Was Andrew Luck salty because he deserved to win that game? Did Jim Irsay feel better, that sack of human garbage, after getting his pound of flesh? How big do you think John Harbaugh's smile was when the report came out?

They did it entirely at your expense.

And here's the thing: at any time, someone could have just stood up and done the right thing. Someone could have just said, "Guys, we've gone too far. We were wrong." And you would feel much better. And they still can. But they won't. Because. they. are. simply. pieces. of. human. garbage. And all this time, you can replay the thousand ways that Roger Goodell can smugly repeat himself, over and over again, over and over again, to every person who will listen, on every news site in the world, that he is protecting. the integrity. of the game.

Now you can talk to your kids about how you worship a man who is regarded by many as a cheater, in the same sentence as Barry Bonds or Ben Johnson. Sure, you'll get past it. In five years, maybe you'll forget about it or be able to minimize it. But you shouldn't have to. Because you deserve better.

Last edited:
I just hope that people really realize what has happened here in the context of the last fifteen years and not just since January of 2015.

The NFL has actively marketed to you this image of Tom Brady ever since 2001, and you've bought into it because, hey, why the heck not??? The imagine seems real. Tom Brady is a man I've wanted to use a shining example to my kids, someone I want to emulate, someone I truly respect and look up to. I freakin' love Tom Brady. I have basically never seen this guy do anything negative. The way he goes about his business, the way he respects his coaches and teammates - wow. What a competitor and an underdog story to boot. I am in the Bay Area, and someone in my neighborhood actually knows Tom Sr. very well. What a guy. What a son. Just a genuine person from a great family, someone who should all admire.

Tom Brady's face is on Sunday Ticket advertisements, along with the NFLs logo. His poster on NFL Network. He is the first face you see on almost every broadcast, the shining example of excellence. How many times do you think you've seen his image as an advertisement? 10,000? More?

Why wouldn't you buy merchandise, tickets, develop on obsession for the league that he dominates?

And after fifteen years of spending your money and devoting your time to Tom Brady, certainly with some help of the league's marketing department and numerous programs that make sure you love, no you LOVE Tom Brady, what would you expect in return?

Would you expect that, at the very least, you would have been able to see an independent investigation, as promised, rather than a hatchet job?

Would you expect that the league would seek the scientific expertise of virtually ANY university of scientific organization that is not-for-profit, rather than going to a sham organization that is notorious for junk science and creating very believable lies? Do you remember way back then, when your original wishes were that the university is somewhere in Massachusetts like MIT, rather than somewhere in New York, for fear of bias. That was enough for you, but you would have taken any answer that was the truth. Do you realize how badly they wanted to stab you in the heart? Turns out, every university in the United States was just waiting to exonerate Tom Brady. Robert Blecker is basically the face of this cause, a man who hates the Patriots but was willing to put aside his sports allegiance and just look at the science. The NFL could have chosen ANY organization to exonerate Tom Brady...even in their own backyard who are Jets fans. Do you think they owed it to you, as a long-time supporter and customer, to merely follow through on their pledge to be objective? Or you don't realize the monumental lengths they went to in order to deny you with a fair answer? Not a SINGLE objective study has supported Exponent. Exponent. E-X-P-O-N-E-N-T. You'd like to continue doing business with a company that used a notorious tobacco propoganda agency, disguised as a scientific organization, for the sole purpose of making you feel terrible about your team and favorite player, all so that Roger Goodell could get an uptick in his favorability ratings and Jim Irsay could smoke his meth in peace?

Would you expect that the league would not actively attempt to turn your hero (who they've been selling to you as a hero for fifteen years) into a Lance Armstrong /Alex Rodriguez cheater, who you actively despise?

Would you expect in return for your business and loyalty that they might release clear information right from the beginning that suggests that your hero is actually innocent? If this were a criminal proceeding, the NFL office would all be in jail right now for failing to turn over pertinent evidence that would help the defendant's case against prosecution. So, do you think that your hero Tom Brady (who you've paid dearly to watch and support, lining the pockets of these very men) should have at least treated him with the same level of decency as a criminal defendant who may have committed a crime?

That's just the legal side there - what about the ethical side? What about the side that just says, hey, we are all human beings here living in a world and should live with decency. Let's not lie about each other. Let's not frame someone. Let's not purposely spread rumors we know to be false to ruin a man's reputation, particularly if that man's reputation is very important to a large group of people who have been paying us, you know, since we've been promoting this man's reputation for a very long time.

While you winced as celebrities made jokes about Tom Brady, while Charles Hayley basically called him something worse than a pedophile, while you were ashamed to wear your Patriots jersey and not sure how loud you should have been during the Super Bowl lead-up, while you felt guilty to be a fan of this team and questioned the previous fifteen years, while one former quarterback after another called Brady a liar and a cheat, while scientists, one by one, botched the IDL, while talk show hosts berated your favorite passion, while national news hosts ran stories about conspiracies, while you basically felt like a cheat, or worse, someone duped by a cheat...during all of this time...Roger Goodell and many others in the NFL front office watched the same thing, strategically formulating when they should release PSI numbers that would exonerate the Patriots, and exactly how and when to downplay those numbers by first finding a red herring to feed the dumb public, especially to you, a very dumb member of the dumb public.

Would you expect that, even with all of these lies to propagate the myth that Brady cheated, they might at least refrain from falsifying testimony, outright lying to you that your hero's conversations? Do you think you deserve better than that? How about being told that Brady wanted to keep the evidence under seal, when in fact the opposite was true?

This was all an exercise to make people feel better and not have to answer for their problems. You feel like crap so that some ignorant, stupid Colts fan could feel better. Those Jets fans sure were rejoicing while you were feeling very depressed. Do you like avoiding the comments section of every Patriots article posted for the last eighteen months because you don't want to hear the same false, yet widely accepted, statements over and over again? You were on the wrong end of a math equation. What's one Patriots fans' misery and anxiety if a 31:1 ratio will love us!!! What, you didn't enjoy Seahawks fans writing a petition because they deserved the Lombardi in 2015? That after ten years of heartbreaking losses, Super Bowl fluke catches, undefeated seasons going up in flames at the last second...did you enjoy the aftermath of being a world champion, sticking with your team with unwavering passion? Were you rewarded for your loyalty? Did you liker a bunch of players comparing the Patriots to the most reviled, illegitimate teams in sports history? Was Andrew Luck salty because he deserved to win that game? Did Jim Irsay feel better, that sack of human garbage, after getting his pound of flesh? How big do you think John Harbaugh's smile was when the report came out?

And here's the thing: at any time, someone could have just stood up and done the right thing. Someone could have just said, "Guys, we've gone too far. We were wrong." And you would feel much better. And they still can. But they won't. Because. they. are. simply. pieces. of. human. garbage. And all this time, you can replay the thousand ways that Roger Goodell can smugly repeat himself, over and over again, over and over again, to every person who will listen, on every news site in the world, that he is protecting. the integrity. of the game.

Now you can talk to your kids about how you worship a man who is regarded by many as a cheater, in the same sentence as Barry Bonds or Ben Johnson. Sure, you'll get past it. In five years, maybe you'll forget about it or be able to minimize it. But you shouldn't have to. Because you deserve better.

Oh jeezus......

No, but I can't say that I have ever felt that the other player wasn't available because he had been fraudulently suspended by the commissioner. If he's out because of injury (or a legitimate suspension ala Rodney Harrison, and now unfortunately, Nink) then too bad for you, but those situations don't apply here. Believe me, I know other teams are feeling the "too bad for you" vibe right now, which is why I didn't waste my time going on another team's board.

No, but I can't say that I have ever felt that the other player wasn't available because he had been fraudulently suspended by the commissioner. If he's out because of injury (or a legitimate suspension ala Rodney Harrison, and now unfortunately, Nink) then too bad for you, but those situations don't apply here. Believe me, I know other teams are feeling the "too bad for you" vibe right now, which is why I didn't waste my time going on another team's board.

I think some of you take things way too seriously....it is NOTHING more than entertainment.....don't lose sight of that

Now that time has run out on the league to do the right thing, an option at their disposal for eighteen months, some temporary and permanent policies have been implemented at my house.

-No NFL allowed on in my home until week 5 of 2016, including Patriots games.
-No NFL allowed in my house ever again, unless it is the New England Patriots, unless (a) Roger Goodell is no longer there, and (b) the league issues a letter of apology about Defamegate. Sole exception is if it is Super Bowl for social/entertainment reasons.
-NFL Sunday Ticket has been cancelled (I was a customer for the last nine years) and all Patriots games are streamed through Sling from my father's local feed in Maine.
-No NFL merchandise will ever be purchased again by any member of my household.
-No NFL game tickets will ever be purchased in my house again, except for a Patriots game that includes Brady and Belichick.
-ESPN banned with the exception of exclusive live sporting events.
-NFL Network banned with the exception of exclusive live Patriots games.
-All brands, merchandise or any type of purchase that would lead to directly or indirectly supporting any of the following people are boycotted: Jim Irsay, Steve Bisciotti, Bob McNair, Jerry Jones, Woody Johnson, John Mara, Troy Aikman, John Madden, John Harbaugh, Chris Mortensen, Stephen A. Smith, Gregg Doyle, Bob Kravitz, Bob Glauber, Jackie MacMullan, Ian O'Connor, Chris Chase (and whichever paper employs him at any given time), Ryan Grigson, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Pettine, John Elway, Jerry Rice, Charles Haley, Mark Brunell, Bill Nye, Exponent, Paul and Weiss, Ted Wells, Judge Parker, Judge Chin, Ron Wolff, and anyone employed by the NFL corporate office who did not publicly denounce corruption and lies by its leadership but in particular Roger Goodell, Jeff Pash, Mike Kensil, Dave Gardi and Troy Vincent.

I used to be an enormous baseball fan but after hearing that the league looked the other way on steroids in the 90s, the only games I have watched in the past 10 years are Red Sox World Series ones and only a few of those...so I went from watching about 100 games a year to maybe 1 on average. Why? Because there are consequences for those who lie to me..because there are too many other things in the world more worthy of my time and attention.

Already I have started to distance myself from the NFL, and my friends are in disbelief that I discontinued my fantasy and pick em leagues that I've been leading for over 10 years. My wife is shocked that I followed through on my word and canceled Sunday Ticket and ESPN and had her return two birthday items that were NFL merchandise, although she gets it.

I own a business and have two young kids. I'll get along just fine without the NFL and am not "punishing myself." There's no point in spending the little spare time I have on something I despise and feel negatively about. I forgive Kraft inasmuch as I can and still love the Patriots, but it's hard to separate them from the NFL when they are an NFL team. Regardless, I'll see off Brady and Belichick and always be appreciative of watching them, the best highlight of my sports watching life. But f*ck the NFL. Beyond the Brady BS, this is a league of dishonorable gentlemen. Lies, lies, lies. Concussions, the "bounty scandal," blatant favoritism, lies, more lies, not seeing the Ray Rice tape, more lies. Support them if you want but realize where your time and money is really going.

Been watching them since Plunkett. Other than Super Bowl wins, 1976, Grogan's big year, still my favorite year. (Had season tickets with Dad in the 70s early 80s) The NFL sucks at the moment, yes. But it would be silly to bail because of this situation as much as it sucks. When Larry Bird's career ended I never thought I would get to witness anything close ever again. Then Brady/Belichick happened... I will always follow Boston sports teams til I die.

I do agree about ESPN and NFL Network. I have abandoned both since "Spygate" except very occasionally for big win highlights.

P.S. If this really is just entertainment (distraction from real life) which it is, then it may be entertaining to see if Jimmy G. has potential. Hell I never thought Grogan could be replaced in my sports fan heart.. then I loved Bledsoe so much I was blind to Brady's greatness mostly until he won Super Bowl 36. In 10 years I will still only be 60... Brady will be done so will Belichick. My dad is still watching and he is 75. Some day this will all seem so long ago. (even multiple old past championships start to feel old and you need new ones eventually)

Last edited:
I think some of you take things way too seriously....it is NOTHING more than entertainment.....don't lose sight of that
It's less entertaining to a lot of folks who normally spend a lot of $$ to be "entertained" when the fix is in...

It's less entertaining to a lot of folks who normally spend a lot of $$ to be "entertained" when the fix is in...

Don't spend the money......I dropped 35 years of season tickets in a heartbeat in 2006......built a man cave for the ages instead

125px-National_Football_League_2008.svg.png
100px-National_Socialist_swastika.svg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing