PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Should Suspend Manning BEFORE He Announces His Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last year Antonio Gates received HGH. 4 games suspension. Rodney Harrison had HGH shipped to his house. 4 game suspension.

In 2010 Roethisliberger was suspended 4 games for sexual assault. That was in violation of the NFLs personal conduct policy.

Goodell has said that ignorance is not an excuse. Manning knowingly had HGH shipped to his house. What if another NFL player did that?

Goodell has punished players based on crimes with or without the judicial system determining guilt.

Both infractions/actions have compromised the NFL brand.

Peyton Manning needs to be held accountable for his actions.

He is still under contract with the Broncos.

Doing nothing sends a terrible message to women, kids and other players.

Goodell needs to do the right thing....................I know he won't.

9 one and dones*.

you're out of your god damned mind if you think the leagues golden child is going to EVER get punished for this.

They way they set him up to ride off into the sunset was disgusting, if you think they are going to dirty it up you're mad.

chasa...great post BUT...you know, we're just jealous haters and Brady's a cheater...and gay.

and ...what about the PHONE?!?!?! "Shady" destroyed his phone!!!!

They way they set him up to ride off into the sunset was disgusting, if you think they are going to dirty it up you're mad.
The world, as if often does, appears to have other ideas for Mr. Manning. But hell even his "ride off into the sunset" was largely eaten up - in media attention terms - by Cam Newton's sour tone at his post-game press conference. The Super Bowl was a week ago! His sunset ride is taking him right back to 1996.

rw, what is they typical timeline for these suspensions from discovery->investigation->punishment? It absolutely would be negligent to ignore his actions based on the presumption that he will retire, I just don't have a good sense of what is normal in terms of timing. I'm not sure they can really do anything about the sexual assault given that it is a 20-year old charge.

Ban Manning from the Hall Of Fame. That will be much worse for him, and his family, than a meaningless game suspension if he retires.

Isn't the NFL* the one telling BSPN to lay off the Manning stories? I mean the leader in work wide sports is a mouthpiece for the league.

I'm kinda hoping that Von Miller is guilty of something. That guy annoys me. Keep in mind he did get suspended for 6 games a couple seasons back for cheating on a drug test.

The world, as if often does, appears to have other ideas for Mr. Manning. But hell even his "ride off into the sunset" was largely eaten up - in media attention terms - by Cam Newton's sour tone at his post-game press conference. The Super Bowl was a week ago! His sunset ride is taking him right back to 1996.

rw, what is they typical timeline for these suspensions from discovery->investigation->punishment? It absolutely would be negligent to ignore his actions based on the presumption that he will retire, I just don't have a good sense of what is normal in terms of timing. I'm not sure they can really do anything about the sexual assault given that it is a 20-year old charge.

Yea I did some quick checking and it's all over the map. Roethlisberger's rape occurred in early March, 2010. He was suspended April 22nd.

Deflategate was 4 months or so.

No real hard n fast timeframe is my assessment. A few months is my guess which includes investigation time.

Its all conjecture as the NFL won't do a damn thing until they know what Peyton will do.

My point is that his playing future SHOULD be irrelevant to what the NFL NEEDS to do.

isn't pete rose still banned from the hof...?

just sayin'

Goodell has been paid off in Papa John's pizza. This thing will be swept under the rug in short order, no way they spank Peytons little backside for this.

Peyton Manning's 2016 salary ($19M) becomes fully guaranteed 3.9.16, less than a month. I doubt the NFL gets to him before he retires.

Should Pats fans be advocating for a harsh punishment over allegations of rule breaking? It would seem like we would shun it given our team's history with it.

isn't pete rose still banned from the hof...?

just sayin'

Not sure what your point is. Where are you going with that?

Should Pats fans be advocating for a harsh punishment over allegations of rule breaking? It would seem like we would shun it given our team's history with it.

You can argue both sides of the argument. I dont think it matters.

The problem is that the commissioner has set a precedent for assigning punishment that is completely arbitrary.

In theory, once Manning is awarded a punishment by Goody, he has the right to an appeal hearing and if he & the NFLPA believe that it is warranted, they can take the NFL to court to have it overturned.

Manning had HGH sent to his house. Bad look.

Manning is being accused of sexual assault for a crime that occurred a while ago. The issue is bringing bad publicity to the NFL and for a league that doesn't exactly have a glowing perception with violence towards woman, this is another bad look for the league.

If Goody is so keen on setting an example of what behavior is/isn't acceptable, you can't get anyone better to drop the hammer on than Peyton Manning

Schadenfreude feels so good.
(singing as the
Nationwide jingle)

You can argue both sides of the argument. I dont think it matters.

The problem is that the commissioner has set a precedent for assigning punishment that is completely arbitrary.

In theory, once Manning is awarded a punishment by Goody, he has the right to an appeal hearing and if he & the NFLPA believe that it is warranted, they can take the NFL to court to have it overturned.

Manning had HGH sent to his house. Bad look.

Manning is being accused of sexual assault for a crime that occurred a while ago. The issue is bringing bad publicity to the NFL and for a league that doesn't exactly have a glowing perception with violence towards woman, this is another bad look for the league.

If Goody is so keen on setting an example of what behavior is/isn't acceptable, you can't get anyone better to drop the hammer on than Peyton Manning

Agree with everything you said about bad looks. However, there's such weak proof that Goodell won't punish him. This is likely true for many reasons, but a big one is that the NFL would (likely) lose on appeal (a real one, in court) again.

Not sure what your point is. Where are you going with that?

I'm saying there's precedent for denying a guy hof 'cuz of a scandal

but, mostly I was joking -- there's no way he's getting passed up on hof

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back