PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Should Suspend Manning BEFORE He Announces His Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with everything you said about bad looks. However, there's such weak proof that Goodell won't punish him. This is likely true for many reasons, but a big one is that the NFL would (likely) lose on appeal (a real one, in court) again.

That is absolutely a factor.

If we believe the ESPN article about the backroom dealing going on with regard the Rams to LA move and Goody playing nice guy and not getting in anyone's cross-hairs because he wants to start lobbying for a new contract, then he absolutely won't want to battle in court with Peyton Manning- especially if PM is hell-bent on making sure his legacy is undamaged.

The other angle here is John Elway. Clearly he won't bring Peyton back for $19m but we have no idea what is going on. Maybe Peyton has asked Elway if he would be interested in bringing him back for something. If I'm Elway and with Osweiler a FA, I think about that option. The problem is he doesn't know what will come if this or the HGH investigation so for him, getting clarity sooner than later is in his best interest of the Broncos. In some ways, its better for Peyton too.

With tha said, I think PM will retire and this all goes away.

I'm saying there's precedent for denying a guy hof 'cuz of a scandal

but, mostly I was joking -- there's no way he's getting passed up on hof
Agreed but the NFL is much more lax about this stuff. Hell, they kept OJ Simpson in. Jim Brown was the king of sexual assaults and Paul Hornung both are in the HoF and hung out with mobsters and bet on games.

The explosive revelation in this story is the attempt to have the victim blame a black athlete for the assault rather than sully the star QB. She refused and was paid off to leave the school quietly.

Agreed but the NFL is much more lax about this stuff. Hell, they kept OJ Simpson in. Jim Brown was the king of sexual assaults and Paul Hornung both are in the HoF and hung out with mobsters and bet on games.
Personally, I think we should limit the criteria to only the effect they had on their teams. If they were a team cancer then yeah that's a factor but I don't think being a criminal after your career should matter.

Personally, I think we should limit the criteria to only the effect they had on their teams. If they were a team cancer then yeah that's a factor but I don't think being a criminal after your career should matter.

Yea with OJ I think thats the logic they followed. I don't have an issue with it really.

Rozelle had big problem with Hornung and Alex Karras. The problem wasn't just them.....it was dozens of other players also betting on games. Rozelle wanted to give them a lifetime ban but was told he'd have to ban 1/2 the players in the league. Two big names were made an example of. When you get paid like a dog.....that is what happens.

Sad reality is that in the 50s, 60s and 70s the New York and Chicago Mobs had their teeth in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back