PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL investigating Saints for placing bounties on players(merged X2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could they possibly field the worst defense the league has ever seen if say, every defensive player involved in it is suspended for 4 games? They would be fielding rookies and UDFAs.

Vilma should get a year suspension.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Vilma is cut. I think he's owed a big salary next season and his performance has really plummeted since 2009, maybe they were putting less money on the table the last 2 seasons.

But sadly enough, in terms of gaining a competitive advantage spygate blows this out of the water.

What part of "He was in plain site, taping what every last soul could readily see" eludes you??

SpyGate was a trumped up Witch Hunt, drummed up by Jets fans ~ especially one in particular ~ in positions of power and influence, out'f a blatant, seething jealousy and bitterness NOT only because of our amazing success and glory, but because of the incredible and INSPIRING way ~ Team First, TeamMATES first ~ in which we've forged this admirable, awe-inspiring Legacy...as anyone with an ounce of Integrity and Intelligence can plainly see.

I suggest you get a clue before ever expressing yourself again.

LOL, come on man, is that response really necessary? There's nothing outrageous about what I said. I'm not saying I agree that SpyGate is worse, just that I believe that a lot of non-Patriot fans will view it as worse. I've been to plenty of other message boards already and read sentiment that what the Saints did is more a part of the "culture" of football than what the Patriots did, and that Spygate affected the integrity of the sport to a greater degree. Hell, that's coming from some sportswriters as well.

It did have zero impact on the current game, but clearly it was done to have non-zero impact on other games, in a way that league rules disallowed.

The Pats got caught in the act and were made an example of, just like what's going to happen with the Saints.

It ain't pretty, but as we've heard here countless times, "it is what it is".

The spot where you are standing while holding the camera has no impact on any games.

I can't believe this guy actually wrote this for ESPN, but it seems a likely reason in Roger's NFL.

They have done some truly wonderful things, but they are not -- and have not been -- a perfect organization by any means. Around the league they’re viewed by many as arrogant, and a lot of people think the Saints play by their own rules.

Even during the week they won the Super Bowl, they repeatedly infuriated league officials by doing whatever they pleased. They were an hour late for media day, something that’s unheard of. Tight end Jeremy Shockey failed to show for a media session later in the week, and the league stepped in and ordered team officials to go get Shockey immediately. Payton tried to skip the news conference the morning after the Super Bowl but was told by the league’s highest powers that he would be in huge trouble if he didn’t show. He grudgingly attended.

A lot of people around the league also think that Payton has unnecessarily run up the score on opponents. There also was a lawsuit brought by the team’s former security director that alleged Payton and assistant head coach Joe Vitt were “stealing’’ Vicodin pills, but that quietly went away. Williams, who left the Saints after last season to join the St. Louis Rams, is also viewed as arrogant by many around the NFL.

The perception around the league is that the Saints have been living on the edge, and not making a lot of friends in the process.
Saints' penalties could be severe - NFC South Blog - ESPN

LOL, come on man, is that response really necessary? There's nothing outrageous about what I said. I'm not saying I agree that SpyGate is worse, just that I believe that a lot of non-Patriot fans will view it as worse. I've been to plenty of other message boards already and read sentiment that what the Saints did is more a part of the "culture" of football than what the Patriots did, and that Spygate affected the integrity of the sport to a greater degree. Hell, that's coming from some sportswriters as well.

It's not a huge sample size, but I think most fans are recognizing this as being significantly worse than Spygate: NFL: Saints broke bounty rule - Page 4

No. It had no more impact than any other taping. The Pats got pinched because they violated a memo about where the camera could be, not what was being taped.

And the non-followup to Mangini getting caught taping from the end zone (violating the same memo) showed that rule is a joke.
2007_01_bingo_brown.jpg

Bingo

Last edited:
What part of "He was in plain site, taping what every last soul could readily see" eludes you??

SpyGate was a trumped up Witch Hunt, drummed up by Jets fans ~ especially one in particular ~ in positions of power and influence, out'f a blatant, seething jealousy and bitterness NOT only because of our amazing success and glory, but because of the incredible and INSPIRING way ~ Team First, TeamMATES first ~ in which we've forged this admirable, awe-inspiring Legacy...as anyone with an ounce of Integrity and Intelligence can plainly see.
2007_01_bingo_brown.jpg

And Bingo To you too

Last edited:
It's not a huge sample size, but I think most fans are recognizing this as being significantly worse than Spygate: NFL: Saints broke bounty rule - Page 4

Also being part of the boring time of the NFL, it will get a lot more attention than it would get say if it happened in October... NFL network and ESPN football are bored.

Oh...so....the Patriots get hammered unilaterally by an EX-EMPLOYEE of their nearest competitor on the opening day game with said competitor, get savagely fined and stripped of a penultimate draft choice, followed by years of silence by this cretin in the face of vicious attacks on the Patriots organization by a rabid sports press corp, yet NOW, faced with THIS mushrooming scandal, the owners collectively will discuss and recommend action....uh, excuse me, but where was THIS latitude when Ratdell went all undercover green mongo on the Patriots and OUR fanbase (by association)?

This is the first major pothole facing ol' Roger The Rat Dodger since the labor agreement was reached. For me as a Patriots fan, I CANNOT wait to see what this mutt does/does not do in this case.

I agree and I seriously cannot believe this. The punishment came down quick on us for spygate and was done by the commissionner ONLY. Now for something far worse, he's going to consult the owners about it?? This can't be serious. Obviously the punishment will be softened with the owner's meeting.

I like N.O. and Pherin, but if the Omish lets this go he needs to go pronto. It would show obvious bias against the Pats. Although lat year after the "trip" by the Rats and then Westoff saying "the pats did it" (also a rules violation) the Omish did nothing.

Last edited:
Peter King story:

"Early indications late Friday afternoon were that the sanctions against the Saints and their former defensive coordinator who the league said administered the bounties, Gregg Williams, will be severe. The league said the penalties could include suspensions, fines and loss of draft choices -- the latter of which could be particularly damaging to the Saints, who do not own a first-round pick this year. Their first choice will be late in the second round, the 59th overall ... unless Goodell takes the pick away."
"There's little doubt the penalties on the Saints will be worse than what the league did to the Patriots for the Spygate scandal in 2007. "
"Payton, the league says, was not "a direct participant'' in the bounty program but was aware of it and did nothing to stop it."
"• Players pooled their own money to fund the bounty club, and players were paid $1,500 if a foe was knocked out of the game, and $1,000 if an opponent was carted off the field.
• Between 22 and 27 players contributed to the bounty pool over a three-year period, with amounts guaranteed if a certain opposing player was knocked out of the game."

wow. just read king's report. A 50,000 word report by the league...Williams contributing to the pool, and admitting they all knew it was wrong while they were doing it...an investigation by the league back in 2009 that could not be corraborated then but is fully supported now...

yes, I would say the hammer is going to come down.

Then that just proves that the problem they have is with the Patriots and BB and has nothing to do with this so-called "integrity of the game". They are idiots, drooling, mouthbreathing, single digit IQed morons to the core, if this is what they are writing.

The fact that when people speak of spy gate they still bring up taping practices and say stealing signals is illegal shows how little they care about the facts and they just want to slam the Patriots.

Are there REALLY people dense enough to think that we COULD lose #27 over this??? :rofl:

Here is Troy Brown's opinion. He says that he used to give members of the Pats special teams $100 for blocks on his runbacks for touchdowns, but that was the extent of his incentive plan.

”That’s just insane, because we’re all in the same boat,” said Brown, when reached last night. ”We all know how difficult it is to get this job, and to maintain this job, and to stay healthy, and to make a good living. The hurtin’ part, I’m just having a hard time digesting that one.”

”That sounds more like 50s and 70s type football,” Brown said. ”And I’m a big fan of the New Orleans Saints . . . But as (Mike) Tyson says, it’s ludicrous. I just don’t get that one. Why would you intentionally want to go out and hurt people that are doing the same thing you’re doing. You’re trying to make a living. That’s the bottom line. I don’t really get it. I don’t know if those guys thought about that part. We’re all making a living in this business. That’s not the image you want to live with as players. Deliberately hurting people at their livelihood? I’m having a hard time understanding where their heads are on that one.”​

BostonHerald.com - Rap Sheet » Former Patriot Troy Brown on the Saints paying bounties to injure players: ”That’s just insane.”

Last edited:
Actually it is a salary cap violation because Williams himself contributed to the bounty fund as did Payton's agent who apparently also has ties to the team on some level.

The article I had read hadn't mentioned the outside money or that Williams had put money in also. Just that Williams had administered it.. If that is the case and Williams put money in as well, then yes, it is a sal cap violation..

Here is Troy Brown's opinion. He says that he used to give members of the Pats special teams $100 for blocks on his runbacks for touchdowns, but that was the extent of his incentive plan.

”That’s just insane, because we’re all in the same boat,” said Brown, when reached last night. ”We all know how difficult it is to get this job, and to maintain this job, and to stay healthy, and to make a good living. The hurtin’ part, I’m just having a hard time digesting that one.”

”That sounds more like 50s and 70s type football,” Brown said. ”And I’m a big fan of the New Orleans Saints . . . But as (Mike) Tyson says, it’s ludicrous. I just don’t get that one. Why would you intentionally want to go out and hurt people that are doing the same thing you’re doing. You’re trying to make a living. That’s the bottom line. I don’t really get it. I don’t know if those guys thought about that part. We’re all making a living in this business. That’s not the image you want to live with as players. Deliberately hurting people at their livelihood? I’m having a hard time understanding where their heads are on that one.”​

BostonHerald.com - Rap Sheet » Former Patriot Troy Brown on the Saints paying bounties to injure players: ”That’s just insane.”

At this point I think the only reason it's really a story is because coaches and outsiders contributed to the pot. If it were only players it wouldn't be this big of a deal, and that will likely be made clear in the coming days. Much like spy gate it's kind of a technicality, filming from the wrong location vs one or two non players contributing to the pot.

Don Banks of SI points out that it's not just the actions, but the coverup that is a big part of the problem. Roger Goodell has shown in the past that he takes it personally when he is lied to.

Even worse, Loomis, according to the NFL's internal investigation and report, went all Haldeman and Erhlichman on us and decided to cover up the existence of the team's bounty program, first denying any knowledge of it to the league when the NFL looked into the allegations in 2010, and then promising to dismantle and discontinue such a program if he found such evidence. The league's report contains four very damning sentences regarding Loomis' response to the Saints' bounty fund:

"When informed earlier this year of the new information, Mr. Benson advised league staff that he had directed his general manager, Mickey Loomis, to ensure that any bounty program be discontinued immediately. The evidence shows that Mr. Loomis did not carry out Mr. Benson's direction.

"Similarly, when the initial allegations where discussed with Mr. Loomis in 2010, he denied any knowledge of a bounty program and pledged that he would ensure that no such program was in place. There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices.''

In other words, Loomis looked the other way, and hoped the story would go away. He decided it was better to protect his team's coaches and players than to do his job and act in the best interests of the franchise and Benson. Maybe that won't wind up being judged to rise to the level of a firable offense in the Saints organziation, but to orchestrate the cover-up of a potentially embarrassing organizational misdeed will get your butt canned plenty in the corporate world.​

Mickey Loomis, Sean Payton could face most trouble*in Saints' bounty saga - Don Banks - SI.com

Are there REALLY people dense enough to think that we COULD lose #27 over this??? :rofl:

No, that's a joke. There are, however, people dense enough to think there is some sort of conspiracy of the leauge having it out for the Pats. And that's how the joke started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes