PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Weddle really that good? Is he a better pass or run defender?

He's a coverage guy first (more McCourty than Chung), but a bit of a hybrid. He's also a tackling machine, in large part because he's played behind some of the worst front sevens assembled in recent NFL history.

On the surface, having McCourty, Weddle and Harmon on the same team would be a bit redundant. If the Pats do make that signing, I think it'd have to come with the faith that Belichick intends to do some really interesting, unorthodox stuff to create productive roles for all of them in the defense.

And my take on that is that if he can find a role in which Pat Chung is capable of being a productive NFL player, I'm positive he can find a way to get a lot of productivity out of all three of those guys.

Because Hicks is going to receive high tier money and he is not a high tier player.
Jones should get 8 mill a year not Hicks.

Jones is going to get a lot more than $8M per year.

Indeed. I would say Jones is the odd man out (the thought of him in his undies at the police station...that is odd too).

Please don't say "trade him for picks". This is a terrible Draft after 50. The next clump are the same talent from 50-100. Let's grade the Draft a "C" on a curve.

Players do get traded for other players (see Hicks and Hooman). The could be a "definite-maybe":

I was giggled at when I said Chandler Jones for Michael Floyd, WR of the Cards.......but.....The Cards made a big push for Irvin and it looks like he is to the Jags. Might be amicable to a trade. It is actually a very fair trade. We have to take the best deal we can

The other deal I mentioned and I was raucously laughed at. I said Jones for Joe Haden and Josh Gordon. Both are iffy right now. Hayden supposedly healthy but had two concussions in 2015 and Gordon tales an Advil and he might be gone. Again...fair deal. The Browns seek a pass rusher.

That being said, Mike Wallace is an interesting thought. 140 catches and 15 TDs with Tannehill in his two years at Miami for crying out loud. Zimmer said he was a good soldier. Hands have been fine. Great speed. Better route runner now. Just a CAP cut and no deep threat needed for Teddy. He appears to have made his big bucks. Maybe now he plays for a ring here.

Why hasn't Hicks been resigned BB?

DW Toys

Please stop with the Mike Wallace crap! The guy runs go routes and his route tree is a single branch. He is vastly overrated and totally not suited for this offense.

Wonder if BB could turn him around.
Jones is going to get a lot more than $8M per year.

Feel read bad for the that would pony up that kind of $$$$ for a player that disappears when it counts.:mad:

Interesting sounds like we want Hicks back if they pay Hicks no way we pay Jones too.

Is Weddle really that good? Is he a better pass or run defender?
Weddle is really good, but I think people are overselling the Pats' ability to get him on the field along with McCourty and Chung. The numbers just don't add up unless you're assuming one of the three is also the nickel CB, which is something all three have done but isn't what any of the three do best.

Wold love a WR like Mike Wallace who can still get deep and haul them in would make Brady look like a world beater throwing long. Wallace wouldn't cost a arm and a leg this time around. Also we wouldn't be using RB James White as our exclusive deep threat!

Williams to MIA should be done today..8 per from rap

Hightower and Collins will easily cost $10-12m per year each

Trade Jones for something good now.

Honestly considering the market and the flashes Hicks showed, he could get 7 M a year from someone.

Like @robertweathers said, the market for anyone that can rush the passer is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes