PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chandler for Michael Floyd or Josh Gordon please.
Arizona is desperate they would pry throw in a high pick.
3rd roundish

Weddle is really good, but I think people are overselling the Pats' ability to get him on the field along with McCourty and Chung. The numbers just don't add up unless you're assuming one of the three is also the nickel CB, which is something all three have done but isn't what any of the three do best.

Good post but my thoughts would be Chung as an OLB like Barron in LA or Bucannon in AZ. Bothe were SS's . Chung was the third best against the run for starting SSs in 2015.

Weddle definately upgrades us.

DW Toys

Last edited:
captain stone will be most displeased.

In all seriousness, quite a turnaround from a guy who looked like he was punching his ticket out of the league.

Ya well captain stone is the worst message board gm on this forum

As for Branch expecting a huge year out of him barring any kind of injury.. Contract year and is only 31 so probably wants to get one last contract.

Hightower and Collins will easily cost $10-12m per year each

Thats my concern. Look at the positions they play. Collins at ILB will be a shade under Luke K.
Inside Linebacker Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

High at OLB 4-3. High is better than David. He will command top of the market.
4-3 Outside Linebacker Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

The cap will go up but thats $35m in signing bonuses and 50-60m in total value each.

Now price out Malcolm in Top 15 CB money. Thats another $15-20m in guarantees and $40-$50m in total value.
Cornerback Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

That is serious coin. Cap $ goes up. More money to spend. $ goes up for player value of deal.

I just read where the Broncos cut Owen Daniels. I know he's not great against the everyone else, but he sure does kill us every time he plays us. Maybe he is worth taking a look at. If not, hopefully he retires then!!!1

owen daniels is 100 years old..

i still cant believe he burned jamie for two td's. embarrassing..

@cpricenfl
Figure Patriots have a couple more moves in store between now and 4 p.m. tomorrow when new league year begins.

Cannon, Amendola, Dobson players to watch.

Good post but my thoughts would be Chung as an OLB like Barron in LA or Bucannon in AZ. Bothe were SS's . Chung was the tird best against the run for starting SSs in 2015.

Weddle definately upgrades us.

DW Toys
Yes, the Chung to LB idea has been quite popular. It still doesn't address the idea of who is being replaced. If you move Chung from S to LB and add Weddle at S, then that's 12 guys. Who is coming off the field?

Chandler for Michael Floyd or Josh Gordon please.
Arizona is desperate they would pry throw in a high pick.
3rd roundish

The Cards are certainly in the market.

Yes, the Chung to LB idea has been quite popular. It still doesn't address the idea of who is being replaced. If you move Chung from S to LB and add Weddle at S, then that's 12 guys. Who is coming off the field?

I think you just keep Chung at SS, Weddle plays the nickel safety and McCourty plays single-high (in a scenario where we sign Weddle). We played three safeties a lot last year so it's do-able.

I think you just keep Chung at SS, Weddle plays the nickel safety and McCourty plays single-high (in a scenario where we sign Weddle). We played three safeties a lot last year so it's do-able.

Yep. Harmon I believe played 60-65% of the defensive snaps and McCourty and Chung were at 80% so if they wanted to they could do it. Although I think Weddle ends up in Oakland, they have the money, they have a hole there with Woodson retiring

Hell I remember Chung covered TY Hilton most of the game against the colts this year. And didn't Tavon Wilson also play a game or two as a CB?

I don't think BB has any qualms about having his safeties come up and play some man coverage.

Last edited:
I think it makes plenty of sense if they could go the entire season only playing against 2 WR offenses with a receiving tight end (big nickel) or 3 WRs on obvious passing downs (3CB/3S dime), but then what do you do on first down against three wide receivers, a tight end, and a running back? They've historically had problems with nickel run defense so taking a DT off the field sounds like a disaster, the two linebackers are obviously going to be on the field almost every snap that they're healthy, and my premise here is that the third CB is somebody other than one of those three safeties. I'm just not seeing how those numbers add up.

We played three safeties a lot last year so it's do-able.
To add to that, snap count for our safeties last year:

McCourty: 14 games, 925 def. snaps
Chung: 15 games, 885 def. snaps
Harmon: 16 games, 601 def. snaps
Richards: 14 games, 238 def. snaps
Wilson: 9 games, 83 def. snaps
Ebner: 15 games, 45 def. snaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’