PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL files response to NFLPA case list

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • NFL will be "hoping that eventually the appeals court rules in favor of the NFL so Brady is suspended later in the season or next season."
Agree with all of McCann's points except the last. An appeal carries the risk that a suspension could impact playoff games or even SB L. The league should think long and hard about whether they want to do this.

If they think public perception is bad now, it could get a lot worse if they are able to hold Brady out of the playoffs for what is revealed as no good reason.

I've seen several people say their was no deadline for the nfl to respond. ...I could have swore last week I seen a deadline posted for both to respond.....am I missing something?
IANAL but my belief is the Friday deadline was for the formal court filings. These are just "Letters" being sent. You know, sort of a nice "how do you do, your honor" type thing and oh by the way, look at these cases when you get the chance.

Pardon my cynicism but (and maybe Brady shares this view) that even if there were a settlement with no admission of fault, and a non-disparagement clause, there would be plenty of leaks from the NFL citing "high level executives" how this was Brady's way of admitting guilt....and continuing to trash him...
His view could be "f it" let Berman decide and we'll be good...

Agreed. Deadlines accelerate settlements no question. From what I have read, both parties would consider their legal options after Berman issues his ruling (appeal, injunction, etc.). With that said, I question how hard of a deadline 9/4 really is.
It's only a "hard" deadline for the Patriots, as they have to decide their strategy for the Pittsburgh game and set their roster. Unless the ruling is vacated, Brady either gets an emergency injunction or he doesn't play. While it seems it is likely that an injunction would be granted, it is also by no means a certainty. Berman has used that as a way to pressure Brady into a settlement, though not to the degree that he is using his browbeating of the NFL at every opportunity to pressure the League into settling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back