PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL curtails end zone celebrations

Status
Not open for further replies.
broadwayjoe said:
And finally now with these celebrations gone, we will be able to tell who is winning and who is losing.
I understand that it's exciting, but I also understand endzone celebrations are the most self-centered acts in pro sports.
This just makes the game that much better for the true fan, rather than the Chad Johnson fan.

patriotsox said:
And finally now with these celebrations gone, we will be able to tell who is winning and who is losing.
I understand that it's exciting, but I also understand endzone celebrations are the most self-centered acts in pro sports.
This just makes the game that much better for the true fan, rather than the Chad Johnson fan.
It is possible to enjoy the celebrations and yet, still be a "true fan". If the celebrations actually distracted you to the point of not being able to tell who is winning, and who is losing... well, never mind.

I have fun watching players have fun. It's a friggin' GAME. Sheesh.

this is getting stupid and out of hand!

so look for the cowboys and Bengals to have a lot of penalties this year...

T-ShirtDynasty said:
It is possible to enjoy the celebrations and yet, still be a "true fan". If the celebrations actually distracted you to the point of not being able to tell who is winning, and who is losing... well, never mind.

I have fun watching players have fun. It's a friggin' GAME. Sheesh.

I'm also in the 'have fun watching players have fun' camp. Really, there are so many better things to get worked up about.

The rule change is so arbitrary and illogical anyway. I mean, OBVIOUSLY laying or sitting on the ground is far more inflammatory, obnoxious and outrageous than dancing around like a madman, right?

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders just handed or flipped the ball to the ref after scoring a TD. Where they were the most exciting players in football history (well, never saw Red Grange) was in running the ball and then crossing the goal line. No celebration was necessary. I wonder if Chad Goldteeth spent the time more on game prep than on celebration prep, he might just be an even better WR than he is now.

Off soapbox.

Fanfrom1960 said:
Jim Brown and Barry Sanders just handed or flipped the ball to the ref after scoring a TD. Where they were the most exciting players in football history (well, never saw Red Grange) was in running the ball and then crossing the goal line. No celebration was necessary. I wonder if Chad Goldteeth spent the time more on game prep than on celebration prep, he might just be an even better WR than he is now.

Off soapbox.

I totally respect those undemonstrative reactions to scoring. But equally, do we need to suck a small, harmless piece of fun from the game?

It IS a game, not a UN seminar on world poverty.

Certainly, some of these celebrations were toeing the line of good sportsmanship. To say nothing of the delays they may cause.
I am glad they are going to penalize the over excessive ones.
Now, if they can only define that line.

363839 said:
Certainly, some of these celebrations were toeing the line of good sportsmanship. To say nothing of the delays they may cause.
I am glad they are going to penalize the over excessive ones.
Now, if they can only define that line.
From what I've seen it's defined as a) using the football as a prop, or using another item as a prop and b) leaving your feet (so no more snowangels).

And Fanfrom1960, I certainly wouldn't disagree with your point! But it's more of a valid complaint againt the player than it is against the game. Banning celebrations is not going to make Chad Johnson better. ;)

For the love of Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, they are going to ruin TO's game.

What is the point of scoring a TD if you can't do something that says 'look at me, aren't I great"?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
From what I've seen it's defined as a) using the football as a prop, or using another item as a prop and b) leaving your feet (so no more snowangels).

Does that mean no spiking? Christ!
That is so dry.
Packers fans aren't going to be happy with B. No more Lambo leaps.
Yikes!

Last edited:
What does "leaving your feet" mean, anyways?

363839 said:
Does that mean no spiking? Christ!
That is so dry.
Packers fans aren't going to be happy with B. No more Lambo leaps.
Yikes!
I believe that I read that spiking was fine, spinning the ball was fine and so was dunking the ball over the cross-bar of the goal post was fine. Giving the ball CPR was not okay, diapering the ball and burping it was not okay, and serving it up like a waiter was not okay. :rolleyes: I have no idea on the Lambeau leaps.
363839 said:
What does "leaving your feet" mean, anyways?
The examples of violations I've seen given were; Chad Johnson proposing to the cheerleader because he dropped to one knee, and T.O. doing sit-ups and push-ups.

The 'leaving your feet' one is the one that's most curious to me... what are they going to do about the players that drop to their knee in "prayer"? Certainly the Tony Dungy's of the football world are going to have a huge problem with banning on-field prayer.

Spiking, dunking, and spinning the ball are still allowed.

Leaving your feet pertains to anything excessive, like proposing on one knee to a cheerleader, or doing pushups. However, the Lambeau leap won't invoke a penalty.

Bottom line, the excessive celebration penalty will still be used at the discretion of the officials.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I believe that I read that spiking was fine, spinning the ball was fine and so was dunking the ball over the cross-bar of the goal post was fine. Giving the ball CPR was not okay, diapering the ball and burping it was not okay, and serving it up like a waiter was not okay. :rolleyes: I have no idea on the Lambeau leaps.
The examples of violations I've seen given were; Chad Johnson proposing to the cheerleader because he dropped to one knee, and T.O. doing sit-ups and push-ups.

The 'leaving your feet' one is the one that's most curious to me... what are they going to do about the players that drop to their knee in "prayer"? Certainly the Tony Dungy's of the football world are going to have a huge problem with banning on-field prayer.

OK! Well that's a relief.
Thank you for the clarification T-shirtdynasty.
and Murphys95

Fanfrom1960 said:

Off soapbox.
Words can not describe how sick I am of hearing the "just handed it to the referree" line. They were great players, no doubt about it. But I enjoyed most of the endzone celebrations. The only one I didn't enjoy from recent memory was that idiotic Randy Moss pants pull down one, but he's a moron anyway. The Chad Johnson ones were awesome, especially the River Dance one. But nothin beats T.O. hate him as much as I do, making fun of Ray Lewis.

The No Fun League is back. What the Hell kind of idiots are running this league?

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
The No Fun League is back. What the Hell kind of idiots are running this league?

Apparently, ones who think that people would want to watch (A) the Stealers take a SB they didn't exactly deserve, and/or (B) the Colts being handed a Lombardi on a platter. :bricks:

Man for a bunch of professionals who make millions and millions playing a game of football, why does it matter if they cut down on the endzone celebrations, its not going to kill any white people, so who cares.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
Words can not describe how sick I am of hearing the "just handed it to the referree" line. They were great players, no doubt about it. But I enjoyed most of the endzone celebrations. The only one I didn't enjoy from recent memory was that idiotic Randy Moss pants pull down one, but he's a moron anyway. The Chad Johnson ones were awesome, especially the River Dance one. But nothin beats T.O. hate him as much as I do, making fun of Ray Lewis.

I actually enjoyed that one because it brought out announcer Joe Buck's immense prudity and made him look like a fool. Chad Johnson is just an immature snot (ever hear him in an interview?); T.O. at least appears to have an excuse, acting like a guy with a possible bipolar disorder. Good luck Bill Parcells. Looks like C.J., T.O. and a few others that went too far, in the powers that be's eyes, spoiled it for everyone. Ha ha.

11749619.jpg

Last edited:
patriotsox said:

Agreed. The problem with celebrations is it takes 11 guys to get the ball in the end zone, yet only the guy with the ball is prancing around calling attention to himself. The only "fair" celebration would be if the whole offense went into the end zone and did a line dance or something. Just think how moronic that would look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes