Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL curtails end zone celebrations

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by broadwayjoe, Mar 29, 2006.

1. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

2. patriotsox

patriotsox Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And finally now with these celebrations gone, we will be able to tell who is winning and who is losing.
    I understand that it's exciting, but I also understand endzone celebrations are the most self-centered acts in pro sports.
    This just makes the game that much better for the true fan, rather than the Chad Johnson fan.

3. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

It is possible to enjoy the celebrations and yet, still be a "true fan". If the celebrations actually distracted you to the point of not being able to tell who is winning, and who is losing... well, never mind.

I have fun watching players have fun. It's a friggin' GAME. Sheesh.

4. Brady#12

Brady#12 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

this is getting stupid and out of hand!

so look for the cowboys and Bengals to have a lot of penalties this year...

5. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm also in the 'have fun watching players have fun' camp. Really, there are so many better things to get worked up about.

The rule change is so arbitrary and illogical anyway. I mean, OBVIOUSLY laying or sitting on the ground is far more inflammatory, obnoxious and outrageous than dancing around like a madman, right?

6. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders just handed or flipped the ball to the ref after scoring a TD. Where they were the most exciting players in football history (well, never saw Red Grange) was in running the ball and then crossing the goal line. No celebration was necessary. I wonder if Chad Goldteeth spent the time more on game prep than on celebration prep, he might just be an even better WR than he is now.

Off soapbox.

7. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I totally respect those undemonstrative reactions to scoring. But equally, do we need to suck a small, harmless piece of fun from the game?

It IS a game, not a UN seminar on world poverty.

8. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Certainly, some of these celebrations were toeing the line of good sportsmanship. To say nothing of the delays they may cause.
    I am glad they are going to penalize the over excessive ones.
    Now, if they can only define that line.

9. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

From what I've seen it's defined as a) using the football as a prop, or using another item as a prop and b) leaving your feet (so no more snowangels).

And Fanfrom1960, I certainly wouldn't disagree with your point! But it's more of a valid complaint againt the player than it is against the game. Banning celebrations is not going to make Chad Johnson better. ;)

10. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +456 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

For the love of Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, they are going to ruin TO's game.

What is the point of scoring a TD if you can't do something that says 'look at me, aren't I great"?

11. 363839

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  12. 363839

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

What does "leaving your feet" mean, anyways?

13. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I believe that I read that spiking was fine, spinning the ball was fine and so was dunking the ball over the cross-bar of the goal post was fine. Giving the ball CPR was not okay, diapering the ball and burping it was not okay, and serving it up like a waiter was not okay. :rolleyes: I have no idea on the Lambeau leaps.
    The examples of violations I've seen given were; Chad Johnson proposing to the cheerleader because he dropped to one knee, and T.O. doing sit-ups and push-ups.

The 'leaving your feet' one is the one that's most curious to me... what are they going to do about the players that drop to their knee in "prayer"? Certainly the Tony Dungy's of the football world are going to have a huge problem with banning on-field prayer.

14. Murphys95

Murphys95 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Spiking, dunking, and spinning the ball are still allowed.

Leaving your feet pertains to anything excessive, like proposing on one knee to a cheerleader, or doing pushups. However, the Lambeau leap won't invoke a penalty.

Bottom line, the excessive celebration penalty will still be used at the discretion of the officials.

15. 363839

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

OK! Well that's a relief.
    Thank you for the clarification T-shirtdynasty.
    and Murphys95

16. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Words can not describe how sick I am of hearing the "just handed it to the referree" line. They were great players, no doubt about it. But I enjoyed most of the endzone celebrations. The only one I didn't enjoy from recent memory was that idiotic Randy Moss pants pull down one, but he's a moron anyway. The Chad Johnson ones were awesome, especially the River Dance one. But nothin beats T.O. hate him as much as I do, making fun of Ray Lewis.

The No Fun League is back. What the Hell kind of idiots are running this league?

17. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 20 / -10

#3 Jersey

Apparently, ones who think that people would want to watch (A) the Stealers take a SB they didn't exactly deserve, and/or (B) the Colts being handed a Lombardi on a platter. :bricks:

18. mesoslo

mesoslo Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Man for a bunch of professionals who make millions and millions playing a game of football, why does it matter if they cut down on the endzone celebrations, its not going to kill any white people, so who cares.

19. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I actually enjoyed that one because it brought out announcer Joe Buck's immense prudity and made him look like a fool. Chad Johnson is just an immature snot (ever hear him in an interview?); T.O. at least appears to have an excuse, acting like a guy with a possible bipolar disorder. Good luck Bill Parcells. Looks like C.J., T.O. and a few others that went too far, in the powers that be's eyes, spoiled it for everyone. Ha ha.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  20. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,464 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Agreed. The problem with celebrations is it takes 11 guys to get the ball in the end zone, yet only the guy with the ball is prancing around calling attention to himself. The only "fair" celebration would be if the whole offense went into the end zone and did a line dance or something. Just think how moronic that would look.