PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com: Live Chat with Roger Goodell (2PM EST) [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodell Chat

First question for Roger:

Ike, Lansing, MI 02:03 PM ET
The Patriots finished 11-5 this year w/o Tom Brady and missed the playoffs. But the Chargers finished 8-8 and are in the playoffs, do you think the NFL needs to change the playoff format?

Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL.com

This gets a great deal of consideration each year by our competition committee. The clubs feel the first priority should be to win your division and that ensures you a home playoff game. As you know, teams play different schedules by division, so it is somewhat difficult to compare their record. There's a saying in the league that it's how you play in December and January that dictates your success in the playoffs.

Hey, Roger - The Patriots won all their games in December, might want to think before you type.

(and of course, the same could be said about me: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ke-note-recent-firings-page2.html#post1229145 )

Last edited:
Re: Goodell Chat

This guy is killing me today:

Gary Sullivan, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada 02:10 PM ET

Why is a "snow angel" illegal? It does not offend. Can there not be a better way to judge "unsportsmanlike conduct" for a celebration?

Gary, there's no specific rule regarding snow angels. I love watching my daughters make snow angels and I don't fine them. However, NFL rules prohibit any player after a touchdown from going on the ground to celebrate. The competition committee and the membership came to this conclusion after a number of incedents that did not reflect well on the NFL and were not part of the game of football.

First question for Roger:

Ike, Lansing, MI 02:03 PM ET
The Patriots finished 11-5 this year w/o Tom Brady and missed the playoffs. But the Chargers finished 8-8 and are in the playoffs, do you think the NFL needs to change the playoff format?

This gets a great deal of consideration each year by our competition committee. The clubs feel the first priority should be to win your division and that ensures you a home playoff game. As you know, teams play different schedules by division, so it is somewhat difficult to compare their record. There's a saying in the league that it's how you play in December and January that dictates your success in the playoffs.

Hey, Roger - The Patriots won all their games in December, might want to think before you type.

(and of course, the same could be said about me: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ke-note-recent-firings-page2.html#post1229145 )
Ahhhhhh..he doesn't understand ANYTHING...What a stupid jerk...any more gems???

While Goodell's comment had no relevance to the original question, so too did "w/o Tom Brady" have any relevance to this debate.

In this case I agree with Goodell, a team's first goal is to win the division. If you can't do that, then you have not one, but two extra opportunities to make the playoffs. So if you don't have the best record among four teams in your division, or one of the two best records among the remaining twelve teams, you don't make the playoffs. I don't see anything wrong with those odds or that concept.

I know it is frustrating to be left out in the cold but I don't think the NFL should change anything. I like that winning the division is important it creates the division rivals. Use hockey as an example....They have the division winners make the playoffs but because 8 teams make it winning the division is not so important to making the playoffs it does give you better seeding but with so many other chances to make it winning the division doesn't mean much and because of this I can honestly say I am not sure exactly how the divisions break down in hockey.

What I find stupid is that conference record is what allowed Miami to beat us when the league clearly gives teams in the same division different conference schedules based on where you finished the year before. Miami basically gets in over us because our two seeded games were vs Indy and Pitt when theres were vs Texans and Cincy (I believe). So in the conference you play one whole division which is the same but the other games clearly give one team an advantage over the other.

Last edited:

Here's the link to Goodell's online chat in case anybody's interested.

Last edited:

Ahhhhhh..he doesn't understand ANYTHING...What a stupid jerk...any more gems???

No, not yet.

I just got a kick out 2 of the first 4 questions being Patriot related. I asked a question, but I'm sure I'll get some vanilla answer if it gets addressed.

Last edited:

Why? I don't like Goodell, but the rules are clear: You can't go to the ground in a touchdown celebration.

As far as the playoffs go, not sending each division leader to the playoffs is crazy. It is division rilvalries that power the NFL. Winning the division must mean something, and it means a trip to the playoffs. That makes every division game doubly important and fuels rivalries.

Division leaders go to the playoffs. It has to be that way.

If you can't win your division, and you aren't one of the two best teams of the eight remaining, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs. And that's okay.

Time for Pats fans to stop acting like mini-Polians, trying to change the rules because we don't like them.

Goodell is a chump, but whining about the playoff rules because they didn't work in our favor turns us into chumpettes.

Last edited:

Gary Sullivan, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada 02:10 PM ET

Why is a "snow angel" illegal? It does not offend. Can there not be a better way to judge "unsportsmanlike conduct" for a celebration?

Gary, there's no specific rule regarding snow angels. I love watching my daughters make snow angels and I don't fine them. However, NFL rules prohibit any player after a touchdown from going on the ground to celebrate. The competition committee and the membership came to this conclusion after a number of incedents that did not reflect well on the NFL and were not part of the game of football.
And a fine for a snow angel the same as throwing a snowball into the crowd?? REALLY Roger...makes a LOT of ...well non-sense...

While Goodell's comment had no relevance to the original question, so too did "w/o Tom Brady" have any relevance to this debate.

In this case I agree with Goodell, a team's first goal is to win the division. If you can't do that, then you have not one, but two extra opportunities to make the playoffs. So if you don't have the best record among four teams in your division, or one of the two best records among the remaining twelve teams, you don't make the playoffs. I don't see anything wrong with those odds or that concept.

As GodinaGreyHoodie showed last week, you can win your division with a 3-13 record.

I asked him if he thinks taking a 1st round pick away from the Patriots may have cost them a playoff appearance this year? :)

Why? I don't like Goodell, but the rules are clear: You can't go to the ground in a touchdown celebration.

As far as the playoffs go, not sending each division leader to the playoffs is crazy. It is division rilvalries that power the NFL. Winning the division must mean something, and it means a trip to the playoffs. That makes every division game doubly important and fuels rivalries.

If you can't win your division, and you aren't one of the two best teams of the eight remaining, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs. And that's okay.

Time for Pats fans to stop acting like mini-Polians, trying to change the rules because we don't like them.

Goodell is a chump, but whining about the playoff rules because they didn't work in our favor turns us into chumpettes.

Can't agree entirely with this. I think there should be rules that say a losing team can't go to the playoffs for merely winning their division. GodinaGreyHoodie showed last week that you can win your division with a 3-13 record. I think they should disallow losing or even .500 teams from getting in.

On the Jim Rome show today (thankfully, Rome is on vacation) they talked about how the Patriots did not deserve to get in. Then the host was chatting with Lincoln Kennedy and both said that the Colts should be hosting the Chargers.

Weird reasoning there.

There is no substance to his answers. I'm not whining, I just would like to hear a more thought provoking answer other than stating the facts (I already know the rule and the seeding - and I am OK with it).

"I like to watch my daughters make snow angels" and "you have to play your best football in December....." - Please, he's killing me.

What I find stupid is that conference record is what allowed Miami to beat us when the league clearly gives teams in the same division different conference schedules based on where you finished the year before. Miami basically gets in over us because our two seeded games were vs Indy and Pitt when theres were vs Texans and Cincy (I believe). So in the conference you play one whole division which is the same but the other games clearly give one team an advantage over the other.

THIS is the best explanation yet. In addition, we had to go to the West Coast twice.

I understand about the playoffs and want to keep them teh same..BUT Goodell's answer was POOR!! His answer was so full of BS...not even funny...shows he's throwing out crap that makes no sense..

Like others, Goodell stresses the importance of winning the division as an explination for the leagues current playoff format.

What I dont understand is why can't the NFL be restructured in a way that both rewards division winners but also ensures the best teams get in.

The current problem isnt with rewarding division winners, but that divisions are only made up of 4 teams. As a result, huge rewards (eg at least 1 home playoff game) are given to teams that beat out only 3 others. Undoubtedly, this will result in mediocre teams repeatedly getting in with a home game.

Likewise, it is illogical to place that much emphasis on winning small divisions, when only 6 divisional games are played. This is what allows teams to have poor records, but get in.

As a result, we get the following illogical results:

1. The pats were likely either going to get the 3 seed or be out entirely.

2. With one more win, they may have had a first round bye.

3. Every year, teams with great regular seasons (maybe second best in the league) will likely have to play all games on the road to get to the super bowl.

4. 12-4 colts at 8-8 charges, while 12-4 Pitt is at home resting

There are a large number of ways to remedy or at least mask this situation that also stress (and perhaps more so stress) the importance of winning your division.

End of rant.

Like others, Goodell stresses the importance of winning the division as an explination for the leagues current playoff format.

What I dont understand is why can't the NFL be restructured in a way that both rewards division winners but also ensures the best teams get in.

The current problem isnt with rewarding division winners, but that divisions are only made up of 4 teams. As a result, huge rewards (eg at least 1 home playoff game) are given to teams that beat out only 3 others. Undoubtedly, this will result in mediocre teams repeatedly getting in with a home game.

Likewise, it is illogical to place that much emphasis on winning small divisions, when only 6 divisional games are played. This is what allows teams to have poor records, but get in.

As a result, we get the following illogical results:

1. The pats were likely either going to get the 3 seed or be out entirely.

2. With one more win, they may have had a first round bye.

3. Every year, teams with great regular seasons (maybe second best in the league) will likely have to play all games on the road to get to the super bowl.

4. 12-4 colts at 8-8 charges, while 12-4 Pitt is at home resting

There are a large number of ways to remedy or at least mask this situation that also stress (and perhaps more so stress) the importance of winning your division.

End of rant.

Indeed, would a winning record be too much to ask?

just go 9-7 and you're fine.

A team could go 3-13 and win their division. What's next, will they host a 12-4 team in the first round?

Indeed, would a winning record be too much to ask?

just go 9-7 and you're fine.

A team could go 3-13 and win their division. What's next, will they host a 12-4 team in the first round?

Stop with the 3-13 already. It's never happened, and it's not going to happen anytime soon, if ever. It's the equivalent of the infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards.

On the other hand, teams have gone in as wild cards at 8-8. Having your 9-7 requirement would destroy the format because there would be times when you couldn't put 6 teams in the playoffs.

Stop with the 3-13 already. It's never happened, and it's not going to happen anytime soon, if ever. It's the equivalent of the infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards.

On the other hand, teams have gone in as wild cards at 8-8. Having your 9-7 requirement would destroy the format because there would be times when you couldn't put 6 teams in the playoffs.

11-5 missing the playoffs never happened either

but i am convinced, the playoff format needs to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes