PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com article (2006 preview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua4Ever04

Banned
Reaction score
Here is a pretty good article about the upcomming season. I think the ratings are pretty fair. Well, here ya go.

http://nfl.com/news/story/9532593

5. New England
The Patriots were the only team to make the playoffs in 2005 with more turnovers (18) than takeaways (24). Last season, the Patriots were No. 7 in total offense, No. 26 in total defense (No. 31 against the pass), and ranked near the bottom with games missed by injury. They have good young players on both lines. Tom Brady had a great season in 2005 and should be even better this season. Don't be surprised if rookie running back Laurence Maroney has a great season. Tight end Ben Watson will be a factor. New England will plays Denver, Indianapolis and Chicago at home. The bye will come in Week 6, and New England will end the season with road games at Jacksonville and Tennessee. The big job will be to find a capable replacement for Adam Vinatieri.

9. Miami
Nick Saban took a team that went 4-12 in 2004 and guided it to a 9-7 mark in 2005 despite a glaring weakness at quarterback. Miami traded for Daunte Culpepper to direct a passing attack that ranked 16th last season, and also traded for Joey Harrington as a backup and possible early-season starter. The loss of Ricky Williams will hurt the running game, but Culpepper will be a huge upgrade at quarterback if he is healthy. The team hired two coordinators who were head coaches in 2005. Miami will play at Pittsburgh, Chicago and Indianapolis, but has only one cold-weather game (Dec. 17 at Buffalo). The bye will come in Week 8, right before the game in Chicago.

hallfamebrady said:
Ratings are for losers. Let's talk at the end of the season.

Lol! So are you suggesting that you shut this message board down until the end of the season?

I knew I would get at least 1 smart @** remark on this from one of you guys, so it's all good.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Lol! So are you suggesting that you shut this message board down until the end of the season?

I knew I would get at least 1 smart @** remark on this from one of you guys, so it's all good.

I am not suggesting the boards get shut down. You can talk about your team but you have yet to win anything

I just find it funny how people get so excited about "ratings". As BB says, everyone is 0 - 0 right now. The Pats were ranked 29 on the ESPN poll after the first week in 2003. They then went 14 - 2 and won the SB.

Last edited:
hallfamebrady said:
I am not suggesting the boards get shut down. You can talk about your team but you have yet to win anything

I just find it funny how people get so excited about "ratings". As BB says, everyone is 0 - 0 right now. The Pats were ranked 29 on the ESPN poll after the first week in 2003. They then went 14 - 2 and won the SB.

I'm not getting excited. I just like reading about the NFL and figured you would too. But apparently you have no interest in that.

Hey AquaFella, you guys always show up in the offseason only to totaly disappear when the real games start and count. Believe the Dolphins offseason hype all you want, when the games count we won't see you until the next offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua4Ever04 said:
I'm not getting excited. I just like reading about the NFL and figured you would too. But apparently you have no interest in that.

I love reading about the NFL. I just do not pee my pants if someone has something nice to say about my team.

Trust me, the Fins are an 8 - 8 team at best. Word out of Foxboro is they were thrilled to see they traded for Culpepper. BB feels quite confident he can pull a Peyton on him twice a season.

hallfamebrady said:
I love reading about the NFL. I just do not pee my pants if someone has something nice to say about my team.

Trust me, the Fins are an 8 - 8 team at best. Word out of Foxboro is they were thrilled to see they traded for Culpepper. BB feels quite confident he can pull a Peyton on him twice a season.

Are you Ms. Cleo? You're an idiot dude. That very obviosly proves you don't know 1 thing about the NFL. I will seriously bet you any amount of money that we win more than 8 games. If you believe that, I don't know what to tell you. Have you ever watched a football game. How will the Dolphins get worse than last year? WE HAD GUS FREROTTE AND SAGE ROSENFELS AT QB!!!! You guys are flippin morons if you think this division is going to be handed to you. Wow you guys are unbeliveable.

Last edited:
MrTibbs said:
Hey AquaFella, you guys always show up in the offseason only to totaly disappear when the real games start and count. Believe the Dolphins offseason hype all you want, when the games count we won't see you until the next offseason.

Alright, but will you eat the crow when we win the division?

Thats the part that gets me. The Colts along with Peyton Manning have the toughest time vs. Belichick and his defense. The Dolphins with a mediocre offense all the sudden are suppose to be the team that sets the world on fire. Ummmmmm.............yeah ok.

Aqua4Ever04 said:

You won't be found by midseason.............

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Are you Ms. Cleo? You're an idiot dude. That very obviosly proves you don't know 1 thing about the NFL. I will seriously bet you any amount of money that we win more than 8 games. If you believe that, I don't know what to tell you. Have you ever watched a football game. How will the Dolphins get worse than last year? WE HAD GUS FREROTTE AND SAGE ROSENFELS AT QB!!!! You guys are flippin morons if you think this division is going to be handed to you. Wow you guys are unbeliveable.

Wow a newbie fish fan with a few posts pulling out the idiot card backed up at his own goal line. Can somebody say, "Sack=2 points?"

MrTibbs said:
You won't be found by midseason.............

Well let's see, we'll be about 6-1 or maybe 5-2 by midseason and in first so I'll be back to talk about that. You have to remember who we play.
1. Pittsburgh
2. Buffalo
3. Tennesse
4. Houston
5. Patsies
6. Jets
7. Packers
8. BYE

Digger44 said:
Wow a newbie fish fan with a few posts pulling out the idiot card backed up at his own goal line. Can somebody say, "Sack=2 points?"

I'm actully new. As you can see, I was here in December. Idiot card? Just because I'm not a hard nosed fan who only knows about his team and thinks that they are untouchable. Seriously, why do you guys think you can no longer lose? It's annoying!

One of the same reasons you think your team can win except we have the most important thing going for us. We've proven over and over again that the Patriots control the AFCE and CAN WIN IT and the Dolphins have yet to PROVE ONE THING other then they CAN NOT.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Can you read? No one talked about winning divisions.

What everybody has been saying is that pre-season polls are totally meaningless. The ony people interested are those whose teams suck. They get their hopes up, as well they should. Because they usually have nothing to talk about during the season.

How can anyone guess in June how teams will play in December?

spacecrime said:
Can you read? No one talked about winning divisions.

What everybody has been saying is that pre-season polls are totally meaningless. The ony people interested are those whose teams suck. They get their hopes up, as well they should. Because they usually have nothing to talk about during the season.

How can anyone guess in June how teams will play in December?

One of the same reasons you think your team can win except we have the most important thing going for us. We've proven over and over again that the Patriots control the AFCE and CAN WIN IT and the Dolphins have yet to PROVE ONE THING other then they CAN NOT.

This is just a crazy quess, but I think he was talking about winning the division. What do you think?

Well I can be excited because we are a much improved team from last year's 9-7 squad. Lets see, improvement from 9-7 means, hmm... at least 10 wins right? Not to mention how easily we could have won 3 more games last year. Against you, Buffalo and Atlanta we failed in the redzone at the end of the game. (It was our wonderful QB who let us down so miserablly.) Something tells me we might not see that because we have a slightly better QB this year. Just a little bit better.

The Patriots were the only team to make the playoffs in 2005 with more turnovers (18) than takeaways (24).

When did 18 become bigger than 24?

Oh lay off the guy. If the preseason polls like what they've done in the offseason, what's it to us? Aqua evidently likes hanging around here, getting an idea of what Pats fans think the deal is, and I personally take it as a compliment. It's sort of like scouting, on a fan level... remember, for other teams it's a lot easier to pick up on something the coach has missed, and that much easier to have other perspectives in your hip pocket. A lot of other boards thrive on bashing the coaching staff, which may well be in store in Miami in the next year or two. He'll be loaded for bear in that event.

And my hat is off to the Fins if they make the playoffs this year, with a crippled QB and a CFL runningback (plus the guy who isn't Cadillac.) Somebody's preview article doesn't mean ****, and we all know that -- but if this weren't posted by a Fins fan, people would be oohing and aahing over it, like it was a crystal ball. Not everybody but certainly some of us.

It's all football (or something like it), it's all good. Plus, where would the Harlem Globetrotters be without the Washington Generals? If there weren't a Miami, we'd have to invent it.

PFnV

Aqua4Ever04 said:
How will the Dolphins get worse than last year? WE HAD GUS FREROTTE AND SAGE ROSENFELS AT QB!!!!
How ? You acquire Culpepper.

I know you will think that's an idiotic statement at this rosy point of the offseason. However, I am looking forward to a very real possibility, once the season starts, of watching the Miami sports media and fans trying to figure out why Culpepper can't seem to get the job done. By the end of the season, they will still be shaking their heads saying it must have just been an off season. Culpepper should keep the Dolphins searching for wins for a couple seasons before Saban finally has to give up on him.

Rip away. No problem, I can see why you would. But just keep this in mind come September and October - and then come back and tell me how idiotic it was.

personally i have nothing contrary about the Pats at # 5...but, hey, we are in July !

probably in the next autumn we will climb...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft