Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL Any Era Team

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by TBradyOwnsYou, Jan 24, 2012.

1. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome to the #NFLAnyEra Team - ESPN

Voted on by 20 HoF players, they are revealing 4 each day as to what 20 current players they think would succeed in any era of football.
    So far they've revealed:
    Peyton
    Tebow
    Suh
    Freeney
    Allen
    Revis
    Rice
    Reed

So Peterson, Lewis, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Polamalu I would assume as locks.
    That leaves us 1 QB and 3LBs, 2 Steelers and 1 Packer.
    Ward, Harrison, Mathews.
    That leaves 4, 1 QB, 2LB.
    Ware, Urlacher.
    2, 1 a QB.
    I have to go Brady, but will the 20 voters see his toughness and determination that won't leave no matter how much he wins, or will they see his GQ spread, his water slide photo, his goat...
    That leaves 1 person of unknown team and unknown position.
    It really could be probably one of 20 guys, but my homer guess will be Mankins.

Cleaner prediction:
    Peterson, Lewis, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Ward, Harrison, Mathews, Ware, Urlacher, Brady, Mankins.

Thoughts?
  2. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Patriots if I recall only got one player.
  3. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Seems kind of silly. Until relatively recent times, a HOF Center would typically weigh about 250 lbs. That isn't even a snack for Wilfork. Sam Huff was smaller than most FBs (and some HBs) today. Sure Tebow would have been great in the 30's because he would have been the largest and fastest player on the field. Any effort to compare players across generations isn't overly interesting due to the evolution of the game. If you need to make lists, I find All-Decade teams to be a better choice.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  4. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Niether Peyton nor Brady belongs on that list.

Neither would have been effective in 40's.
  5. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +214 / 4 / -5

I'd not put much stock in this.

Remember ESPN's attempt at an "All-Pro team of the future"? The one where their eight nominees for TE included NEITHER Hernandez nor GRONK, and their nominees for C included Dan Koppen? :eek:
  6. celticboy04

celticboy04 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Greetings,
    My sentiments exactly. With the advancements and knowledge of medicine, nutrition and how to break down game film, many players today have an automatic advantage in the preperation category. Players today are bigger, stronger, and faster than they have ever been and the game is completely different then it once was. Mike Ditka even said in his day, his heaviest lineman weighed 255. Their are plenty linebackers and tight ends that are bigger than that. I do not mean to come off as disrespectful to the great ones, their advantage on their opinions is they played in the NFL, and at high level I might add. But, some do act as because they are older that they have the right to somewhat look down on the younger generation in NFL.

Celticboy04
  7. brdmaverick

brdmaverick Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

Wait, should Tebow be nullified just due to the fact that he can't even play in his own era?